• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Like this and then, again, Don't like what it probably means

disarcina

1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

To be fair, you didn't know what a quality start was and you were spewing nonsense.

I do know what a quality start was.  I misread the stat line listed on mlb.com mobile.  I corrected myself after I saw it on the desktop.  I even mentioned my mistake in another post.

Oz27 on Weaver's 2016 season: "arguably the worst starting pitcher this year and one of the worst starting pitchers ever...."

Not sure about that but I have not done the stat checking that Oz27 clearly has -- so maybe that's the case.

I do know this -- Halos have experience with the 'worst starting pitcher/ or just pitcher' in baseball either for one season or for all time --

Remember Joe Blanton's 2-14 performance for the Halos not that long ago -- Blanton was declared by many (and not just disgruntled Halos fans) 'as the worst starting pitcher in baseball -- perhaps ever."  There were stats to back up that claim, as well.

Whatever happened to Joe Blanton?  The 'worst pitcher in baseball' from a few seasons ago can't possibly be the same guy who was the set up pen guy for the NL West Division Champion LA Dodgers now headed for the NLDS ??? Not that Joe Blanton, huh?

Point being -- there's life after being 'the worst pitcher in baseball' apparently.

another case in point -- and the failure to re-sign him was NOT because he was the worst pitcher in baseball (perhaps one of the heaviest weight wise), but because he was old and losing effectiveness so it was thought........BARTOLO COLON - another former Halos pitcher headed to the 2016  post-season -- Colon has won almost 100 games since leaving the Halos........

stats are stats and folks, teams and some GMs live and die by them -- all   I know is that there were a number of starts by Weaver (particularly during the second half) where he mixed pitches, had good placement of pitches, kept hitters off balance - and I'm specifically thinking of that one game where it was either a complete game or 8 inning effort with a total of less than 90 pitches......watching that game and those games, I thought -- geez- this guy can still help this club and any MLB club as a back of the rotation guy......

now, true, there were starts were he looked like he needed to be DFA'd/ released the next day --- but in the second half he did string together some good starts,

A few times a year a team will be completely flat and unable to generate any offense and even one of the worst pitchers in baseball can go 8 innings that day and look effective. 

It's no basis for giving that pitcher a contract extension.