• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Dick Enberg

Tank

We've been blessed with some really good announcers, but with apologies to all the rest..

Dick Enberg personifies the Angels to me more than any other, and I've been around since they opened the gates. I'm glad he was there with Jackie during the trophy ceremony in 02...(although I cant seem to find a picture of it)

He was/is also one of the best football guys around, and also one of the all time greats for tennis. He could do everything, and did nearly everything. If I had to choose between Scully and Enberg, it wouldn't even be close.

np0q3u-b88419561z.120150527100246000g3g9

When I was a kid in addition to being an Angel fan I was also a big UCLA basketball fan. They used to rebroadcast all of the UCLA games around 11pm so I made sure I wasn't near a tv or radio so I could watch the rebroadcast without knowing who won. Dick Enberg did those games and he made it thrilling. The guy could call anything ("Oh my") he was a great football announcer also. I'm telling you those Angel broadcasts with Enberg and Drysdale were about as good as it gets especially considering how horrible some of those teams were. Some of you young guys really missed it. Enberg or Scully?? Enberg every time..no contest..Touch em all!

as much as i loved him on the angels and rams broadcasts, i may have loved even more the show Sports Challenge, which enberg hosted. for you youngsters, it was a quiz show about sports. there were two teams of former players (usually from the four major sports), and they were asked all kinds of sports questions. sometimes there were video questions and enberg himself often dubbed over the play by play. 

they didn't have slouches on those teams, either. the former yankee team included joltin' joe dimaggio, tommy heinrich, and lefty gomez. my mom got us tickets to a couple of tapings, and for me it was better than going to disneyland. they had a former rams team on for one of the episodes, and elroy hirsch and tank younger were part of the team. during a break in taping i had to go to the can and hirsch was there. i asked him why they called him crazy legs, and he told me it was because he ran like a girl. that was a memorable moment for 11 year old me to experience - talking to a pro football player without a crush of people around. 

i loved watching this show and watched as much as i possibly could. enberg made it that much more exceptional. 

Enberg was solid doing the old Hughes Network college basketball games in the late 60s-mid 70s, including two Domers wins over UCLA that ended 47 and 88 game winning streaks and the UCLA/Houston game in January 1968 at the Astrodome when they were ranked #1/#2.

Enberg, Al McGuire, and Billy Packer (starting in the 1977-78 season) may have been as good of a college basketball announcing team as there ever was.

Those taped delayed games from Pauley on KTLA back in the 60's during UCLA's dynasty years when Lew Alcindor (aka Kareem) and then Walton, and later Wicks, Rowe and Patterson played were great. Enberg was literally phenomenal doing those games. In the eight years that Enberg did those games UCLA won seven national championships!  Oh my!

36 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Enberg, Al McGuire, and Billy Packer (starting in the 1977-78 season) may have been as good of a college basketball announcing team as there ever was.

Definitely.

Enberg gets a lot of props for his baseball work but you don't hear much about his basketball announcing. I think he was great.

Enberg and Merlin Olsen were pretty good doing NBC football..

Enberg's call of the blocked punt, and subsequent Gabriel to Casey TD pass, in the 1967 Rams/Packers December game at the Coliseum was one of the all timers.

After the winning TD pass..."The Rams are jumping up and down like 13 year-olds!"

That same day, the Queen Mary docked in LB.  I got to be on one of the boats that greeted her arrival that day.

13 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Enberg's call of the blocked punt, and subsequent Gabriel to Casey TD pass, in the 1967 Rams/Packers December game at the Coliseum was one of the all timers.

After the winning TD pass..."The Rams are jumping up and down like 13 year-olds!"

That same day, the Queen Mary docked in LB.  I got to be on one of the boats that greeted her arrival that day.

You need your own show somewhere. You have the most random old school sports knowledge. They should bring back win Ben steins money but instead with you and about sports knowledge.