• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

LAT: On Baseball: There's no calling the MVP race at this point

VariousCrap

“I try to be the best player in the league every year,” he said.  He has succeeded this year, again. 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-baseball-shaikin-20160924-snap-story.html

Here is is a quote that really got to me:

“You know what the crazy thing is?” Posey said. “I play in California, and I don’t know what Trout’s numbers are. You just don’t seem to hear about him, I guess because their team isn’t in the race to make the playoffs.”

Honestly, this pisses me off because it shows how Arte is not just screwing the team lately, but he is screwing Trout's legacy.  The fact that the Angels have the best player in the game and they are not spending wisely to build the offense around him is insulting not only to the fans, but to Trout himself.  This is a guy who should have at least 4 MVP awards after this years vote and he won't.  Could you imagine his legacy having four MVP's by the age of 25?  That would most likely never happen again.  Yes, I'm mad at Arte for making poor decisions the last few seasons because the team sucks, but I am really pissed because it is negatively affecting Trout.  Trout deserves better than what Arte has done for him.

Sorry for the rant.  I just had to get it out.

6 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

“I try to be the best player in the league every year,” he said.  He has succeeded this year, again. 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-baseball-shaikin-20160924-snap-story.html

Here is is a quote that really got to me:

“You know what the crazy thing is?” Posey said. “I play in California, and I don’t know what Trout’s numbers are. You just don’t seem to hear about him, I guess because their team isn’t in the race to make the playoffs.”

Honestly, this pisses me off because it shows how Arte is not just screwing the team lately, but he is screwing Trout's legacy.  The fact that the Angels have the best player in the game and they are not spending wisely to build the offense around him is insulting not only to the fans, but to Trout himself.  This is a guy who should have at least 4 MVP awards after this years vote and he won't.  Could you imagine his legacy having four MVP's by the age of 25?  That would most likely never happen again.  Yes, I'm mad at Arte for making poor decisions the last few seasons because the team sucks, but I am really pissed because it is negatively affecting Trout.  Trout deserves better than what Arte has done for him.

Sorry for the rant.  I just had to get it out.

If Trout was a Yankee he'd be on every building in New York. Trout gets no RE2PECT like Jeets. In New York he would be marketed like no other. In Anaheim, he's the guy that keeps us out of last place.

Griffey didn't dominate the numbers game quite like Trout has.  Led his league in WAR once, Never led his league in OPS+, WPA, RE24, Adjusted Batting Runs, Adjusted Batting Wins, Offensive Win %, or Runs Created).  The numbers game was about different numbers then anyway.   He probably should have won in 1993 and 1996, but we were focused on the wrong numbers and the pesky playoff contention thing got in the way.  

"Ken Griffey Jr. won one MVP award. He also won election to the Hall of Fame by the greatest margin in history. His legacy did not depend upon an MVP vote or two, and neither does Trout’s."

I'm not concerned about Trout's legacy or MVP awards. That kind of stuff takes care of itself in the end. My concern is mainly with the team.

i still have my money on Trout winning this season. Nobody is putting up crazy numbers this season. Trout's all around numbers should sway the voters in his direction. 

Trout FTW!

23 hours ago, CALZONE said:

If Trout was a Yankee he'd be on every building in New York. Trout gets no RE2PECT like Jeets. In New York he would be marketed like no other. In Anaheim, he's the guy that keeps us out of last place.

You don't have to go to NY for that.  If Trout was on the Dodgers, he'd be better marketed.  The Angels suck at that type of thing.

42 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He's humble and comes across pretty shy, I doubt it is in his nature to care about branding himself.  He's the kind of guy that will let his game do his talking.  If he wanted to be doing Nike or other like commercials I'm sure he could be.  

I agree with this.  

I'm just mad.  This guy deserves better around him.

4 hours ago, Kevinb said:

The problem is Trout has zero marketing behind him. If he was in a bigger market and the team was good he would be on every tv show known to man. Him being in a smaller market in Anaheim and his team being awful hurts his brand, and in turn hurts his chances at an MVP. 

Having no marketing behind him is again a failure of the Angels and Arte.

He doesn't need the Angels or Arte to market him, he's the best player and a generational talent.  All he needs is the desire to be marketed and to make a couple of phone calls. That being said, how marketed is Kershaw?  Since you know, the Dodgers are right up the road, and he's the best pitcher of his generation.  

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

You don't have to go to NY for that.  If Trout was on the Dodgers, he'd be better marketed.  The Angels suck at that type of thing.

Yes and no.

Yes he would be marketed better by the Dodgers but........like I've said in the past, if Trout leaves the Angels it will simply be because he wants to be closer to his childhood home and you can add his east coast fiance to assist with that decision. He's never going to be a Dodger.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He doesn't need the Angels or Arte to market him, he's the best player and a generational talent.  All he needs is the desire to be marketed and to make a couple of phone calls. That being said, how marketed is Kershaw?  Since you know, the Dodgers are right up the road, and he's the best pitcher of his generation.  

Kershaw is a bigger name nationally.

12 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Yes and no.

Yes he would be marketed better by the Dodgers but........like I've said in the past, if Trout leaves the Angels it will simply be because he wants to be closer to his childhood home and you can add his east coast fiance to assist with that decision. He's never going to be a Dodger.

Honestly, Trout will most likely go to whoever offers him the most money and gives him the best chance at a WS.

4 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Honestly, Trout will most likely go to whoever offers him the most money and gives him the best chance at a WS.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

http://www.ibtimes.com/mlb-stars-get-massive-contracts-few-endorsements-heres-why-2348181

jeter made about $9 million annually in endorsements.  Compared to all other sports that chump change, and he was the "gold standard" for baseball.  

Derek_Jeter_RE2PECT_large.jpg

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

http://www.ibtimes.com/mlb-stars-get-massive-contracts-few-endorsements-heres-why-2348181

jeter made about $9 million annually in endorsements.  Compared to all other sports that chump change, and he was the "gold standard" for baseball.  

Personally, I think Trout could be bigger than Jeter if he had the right people as part as his team.  Like you mentioned before, maybe Trout isn't in to that type of thing.

I still feel like the Angels/Arte have failed him on the field.

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Kershaw plays for a name brand which the Angels for lack of a better term are not. The Dodgers play in the number 2 media market and have a fan base to back that up. As much as Arte and us OC people want to think the LA helps in reality we still play in Anaheim as do the Ducks. The Kings got much more love for their two titles than the Ducks got for their 1. I agree I don't think Trout is that kind of person to put him self out there I see him as a quiet shy guy who is still young and maybe he will become that face of the league type like Jeter was or Albert was when he was in St Louis. But right now he's the best player in baseball and that's good enough for him. 

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Baseball nationally is nowhere near the other sports nationally. Regionally they are big. But nationally it doesn't sell. 

19 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Personally, I think Trout could be bigger than Jeter if he had the right people as part as his team.  Like you mentioned before, maybe Trout isn't in to that type of thing.

I still feel like the Angels/Arte have failed him on the field.

The Angels have nothing to do with his marketability it's on him and his team to do that. The Angels are not a national brand. If Trout wanted to go big into commercials, ads, and to be a name brand im sure he could have that ability. It's just doesn't seem like that's a priority to him. Which no one can fault him for. He plays 162 games a year plus spring training etc. in his off time he probably wants to just relax.