• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Astros 9/22 5:10

Robrock30

6 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Quiet ... we still have the saber guys trying to wrap their heads around the Simmons trade. 

Hi..  The saber guys were the ones arguing it the trade wasn't a train wreck for the Angels.    Some of the saber guys ever argued the change in venues and the defenses behind Nolasco and Santiago could see both their fortunes reversed.  

Stupid evil saber guys...

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hi..  The saber guys were the ones arguing it the trade wasn't a train wreck for the Angels.    Some of the saber guys ever argued the change in venues and the defenses behind Nolasco and Santiago could see both their fortunes reversed.  

Stupid evil saber guys...

Nolasco being decent here isn't that surprising, there was reason to think getting out of Minnesota would be good for him. With the goals the FO seemingly had from that trade (finding arms for now) we didn't do too badly. I think that goal is stupid, but I guess they did what they seemingly set out to do.

18 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Nolasco being decent here isn't that surprising, there was reason to think getting out of Minnesota would be good for him. With the goals the FO seemingly had from that trade (finding arms for now) we didn't do too badly. I think that goal is stupid, but I guess they did what they seemingly set out to do.

I'm not sure any of us has any clue what the actual goal is right now other than to keep their heads above water until they get enough things straightened out that they won't flat out suck.

I think for now the team is probably just happy with the early returns.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Ricky now has a 3.60 ERA in ten Angels starts, including a 3.02 ERA over his last seven starts.

JC Ramirez's ERA with the Angels has now crept down to 2.98 over 42.1 IP.

Hector Santiago since leaving the Angels is 2-5 with an ERA over 6. 

I think Meyer will turn out to be the real prize in this trade.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not sure any of us has any clue what the actual goal is right now other than to keep their heads above water until they get enough things straightened out that they won't flat out suck.

I think there is no doubt the trade was made with the immediate future at least somewhat in mind. What is slightly more doubtful but still likely in my view is we were willing to trade Santiago but only if we got pieces for the 2017 rotation in return. The main reason I think that is, if we had gone to all 29 teams and asked for the best possible prospect return for Santiago, I'm convinced the best offer would not have been "take Alex Meyer but you also need to take on most of Nolasco's contract". It seems very likely to me that we wanted immediate pitching help rather than just maximizing prospect return, which would have been the intelligent thing to do in our position.

Put it this way, having Meyer and Nolasco is better for the long-term health of this organization than if we had held onto Santiago for 18 more months. But that is only true because of Meyer, even though I rate him pretty lowly and think he will very likely end up as a reliever. That might have been a better result than keeping Santiago, but I'd still be stunned if it was the best possible result or even close to it. I don't understand the fixation of filling immediate rotation holes to help a team which will still likely be mediocre next year.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Sometimes we over analyze things....I didn't like the trade but will admit it looks much better right now...if Nolasco pitches next year like he has since the trade, it has the potential to be a steal...You may be right that Eppler's grand plan was more about trying to stop the bleeding with Nolasco and rolling the dice with Meyer....not a whole lot more than that....and it's pretty obvious he didn't value Santiago as highly as a lot of us on this board did....and evidently, if the Twins offer was the best out there, the rest of MLB didn't value him very highly either....

31 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

I think there is no doubt the trade was made with the immediate future at least somewhat in mind. What is slightly more doubtful but still likely in my view is we were willing to trade Santiago but only if we got pieces for the 2017 rotation in return. The main reason I think that is, if we had gone to all 29 teams and asked for the best possible prospect return for Santiago, I'm convinced the best offer would not have been "take Alex Meyer but you also need to take on most of Nolasco's contract". It seems very likely to me that we wanted immediate pitching help rather than just maximizing prospect return, which would have been the intelligent thing to do in our position.

Put it this way, having Meyer and Nolasco is better for the long-term health of this organization than if we had held onto Santiago for 18 more months. But that is only true because of Meyer, even though I rate him pretty lowly and think he will very likely end up as a reliever. That might have been a better result than keeping Santiago, but I'd still be stunned if it was the best possible result or even close to it. I don't understand the fixation of filling immediate rotation holes to help a team which will still likely be mediocre next year.

You're beautiful man ... don't ever change.

3 hours ago, Oz27 said:

There are a lot of what ifs.  I don't know that they couldn't have done better (or worse), I'm not really worried about it either...  When it's all said and done this deal could go in a bunch of different ways, but it's got the potential to both help now and over the longer haul depending on what happens with Meyer.