• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels 2016 record -- not this bad in a long time.

disarcina

We are 65-85 with what? 12 games to go.

need to go 5-7 to reach a 70 win, 92 loss season.  that would be a 'win' the way we've been going.

Halos have not had a sub .500 season since going 80-82 in 2010.

Last 70 win season was in 1996 and those dog years.

Halos over the years (and throw out the two strike seasons : 1981 (51-59) and 1994 (47-68)

Listed by in order of fewest wins:

1981 - 65-95

1968 - 67-95

1974 - 68-94

1983/ 1999 - 70-92

1961/1963/1996 - 70-91

1969/1993 - 71-91

1992 - 72-90

So we're battling to match our 1992 record......great.

Judas H. Priest. Comparing any season with an Angels season of the mid-'70s is a nightmare scenario. I remember going to those games with my pops. Every other word from him, while smoking his Marlboroughs, was "g'dammit."

Pretty much my reaction this season too. Even smoked a couple Marlboroughs.

As a Halo Fan since '79, I was trying to think when was the last time that I've enjoyed a season less than this one. I know there were plenty of bad years between 87-01, but at least most of those years, they were considered a small market team and you kind of knew they didn't have a chance to win, but at least they were usually fun to watch. However, almost from the first month, this has been a perpetual agonizing & depressing march toward the bottom. Other than watching Trout's once in a generation talent, and Albert's run toward the RBI crown, there's really been few reasons to tune in.

I know he said he wouldn't do any playoff games, but...

Dodgers to the WS would be great if Scully could be talked into calling those games.  It's not just his voice or the stories I will miss, his encyclopedic knowledge of players from OTHER teams will be a huge void.  He rattled off so many obscure, interesting facts about Angels' players over the years. 

So, yeah, with the Angels a complete dumpster fire this year, I'm rooting for the Dodgers to win it all. 

My Ranger hate hasn't been that bad this year, and my 97 year-old grandfather is on his deathbed and a lifelong Ranger fan, so I guess if there was a year for them to win, this would be it. They're an extreme product of luck - 35-10 in one run games? Gods are smiling on them for that. 

Gonna be hard to not root for the Cubs if they get in, but at the same time, they won't be as fun without their lovable loser characteristic.

Really the only team I don't want to win is the friggin' Mariners. 

12 hours ago, DowningRules said:

Judas H. Priest. Comparing any season with an Angels season of the mid-'70s is a nightmare scenario. I remember going to those games with my pops. Every other word from him, while smoking his Marlboroughs, was "g'dammit."

Only difference is having bigger crowds now.   Each team had two superstars (Ryan/Tanana vs Trout/Pujols).

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Cleveland with their pitching and hitting will be a tough matchup, should both Texas and Cleveland get to the ALCS.

With Salazar out with elbow soreness and Carrasco out with a fractured finger, Cleveland is down to Kubler, Bauer, Tomlin, Clevinger and Allen (?).  They may win the division due to their 7 game lead but they are going to have a tough time against Boston in the Division Series. 

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

With Salazar out with elbow soreness and Carrasco out with a fractured finger, Cleveland is down to Kubler, Bauer, Tomlin, Clevinger and Allen (?).  They may win the division due to their 7 game lead but they are going to have a tough time against Boston in the Division Series. 

I forgot about those very recent injuries.

Salazar is aiming for the ALCS (if making it that far) for his return.

At this point I hope they lose, because while there are two teams worse in the AL, there are 4 in the NL.

Current Draft Standings:

1. Twins

2. Braves

3. Padres

3. Diamondbacks

3. Reds

6. Rays

7. Angels

8. A's

9. Philies

10. Brewers.

A winning streak now, could drop them out of the top ten for draft picks, which means the pick wouldn't be protected, if they decided to sign a free agent who is offered a qualifying offer. We need the free agent and the pick.

48 minutes ago, Hubs said:

At this point I hope they lose, because while there are two teams worse in the AL, there are 4 in the NL.

Current Draft Standings:

1. Twins

2. Braves

3. Padres

3. Diamondbacks

3. Reds

6. Rays

7. Angels

8. A's

9. Philies

10. Brewers.

A winning streak now, could drop them out of the top ten for draft picks, which means the pick wouldn't be protected, if they decided to sign a free agent who is offered a qualifying offer. We need the free agent and the pick.

not likely.  we would have to make up 7 games on either CWS or Colorado with 12 to play.  as an added bonus, the Rangers could very well clinch the division against us on weds.  

20 hours ago, DowningRules said:

Just to clarify, reference your dad saying g'dammit, was/is Oz27 your dad?

some funny stuff on this thread....g'dammit Downing Rules: 'ain't that the truth -- and yes, Angel Oracle - lot of similar stuff with this team's two stars (Trout/ Pujols) and the bad Angel teams with the best pitcher around (Nolan Ryan) and young fireballer --who later became quite the pitcher after surgery/ arm troubles reduced his velocity-- Frank Tanana.

Gurn67 --you post pretty much sums it up -- real tough to even turn on the games starting in July.

As for the draft pick stuff -- I think MLB should modify the draft pick 'standings' draft pick selection process.

On Sept. 1 when rosters expand for the stretch run, MLB should take the bottom TEN or maybe TWLEVE teams in MLB: those teams are then placed in their own 'Division" for the September stretch run -- (like the Wild Card standings stuff).  At that point, the 10 or 12 teams compete for the 'Best record in September'  Draft picks are then assigned 1-10 or 1-12 depending on the 'September Stretch Run Draft Pick Division" race...........this would force teams to not lay down in September and try to win games......the winner of this September losers' Division would wind up with the number one draft pick.....that a prize worth playing for...........

• 2 weeks later...
On September 20, 2016 at 0:01 PM, Hubs said:

Current Draft Standings:

1. Twins

2. Braves

3. Padres

3. Diamondbacks

3. Reds

6. Rays

7. Angels

8. A's

9. Philies

10. Brewers.

On September 20, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Dochalo said:

not likely.  we would have to make up 7 games on either CWS or Colorado with 12 to play.  as an added bonus, the Rangers could very well clinch the division against us on weds.  

Doc, looks like it almost happened. 9 games later,  we are currently 10th.

1. Twins 56-102

2. Rays 65-93

3. Braves 65-92

4. Diamondbacks 66-92

5. A's 67-91

5. Reds 67-91

7. Padres 68-90

8. Phillies 70-88

9. Brewers 71-88

10. Angels 72-87

11. Rockies 74-84

Granted, we're really likely to get that #10 spot or better, because the Rockies have four games left and we have three and they lead us by 3 in the loss column. However, If we sweep and they go 1-3, we'd be tied. If they go 0-4 and we sweep, then we are #11 and no longer top 10 protected. 

We can move up as high as a tie for 7 with the Padres, if we get swept and they sweep.

On September 20, 2016 at 7:41 PM, disarcina said:

some funny stuff on this thread....g'dammit Downing Rules: 'ain't that the truth -- and yes, Angel Oracle - lot of similar stuff with this team's two stars (Trout/ Pujols) and the bad Angel teams with the best pitcher around (Nolan Ryan) and young fireballer --who later became quite the pitcher after surgery/ arm troubles reduced his velocity-- Frank Tanana.

Gurn67 --you post pretty much sums it up -- real tough to even turn on the games starting in July.

As for the draft pick stuff -- I think MLB should modify the draft pick 'standings' draft pick selection process.

On Sept. 1 when rosters expand for the stretch run, MLB should take the bottom TEN or maybe TWLEVE teams in MLB: those teams are then placed in their own 'Division" for the September stretch run -- (like the Wild Card standings stuff).  At that point, the 10 or 12 teams compete for the 'Best record in September'  Draft picks are then assigned 1-10 or 1-12 depending on the 'September Stretch Run Draft Pick Division" race...........this would force teams to not lay down in September and try to win games......the winner of this September losers' Division would wind up with the number one draft pick.....that a prize worth playing for...........

Or a lottery with the bottom 20 teams, the ones who don't make the playoffs. But the teams can only move up or down 10 spots. That way a team who went 89-73 doesn't win the top pick in the draft, but can win the #11 spot.

I'm sure an algorithm can be designed to weight out the chances for each team in each spot. Weighting each spot as the most likely, but not guaranteeing any. That would almost eliminate any tanking because the benefit would be so slight.