• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 9/10 Rangers @ Angels 6:05

Robrock30

Oracle,

I also just attended Toto concert in NYC Saturday Aug. 27th at Town Hall in Times Square.  Great arena great seats balcony front row right on top of stage.

Steve Lukather brought the house down with a cover version of Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs.  David Paich played piano & Steve Porcaro keyboards, bearded fellow on bass replaced other Porcaro who passed away. I liked Joe Williams and backup vocals.  Closed encore with Africa.  This lineup was a bit harder rock than with Bobby Kimball. Great musicians.

I also had just watched Mark Farner a block away at BB King's who was also very good performer even with a pacemaker.

2 hours ago, Robrock30 said:

Oracle,

I also just attended Toto concert in NYC Saturday Aug. 27th at Town Hall in Times Square.  Great arena great seats balcony front row right on top of stage.

Steve Lukather brought the house down with a cover version of Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs.  David Paich played piano & Steve Porcaro keyboards, bearded fellow on bass replaced other Porcaro who passed away. I liked Joe Williams and backup vocals.  Closed encore with Africa.  This lineup was a bit harder rock than with Bobby Kimball. Great musicians.

I also had just watched Mark Farner a block away at BB King's who was also very good performer even with a pacemaker.

That sounds very similar to last night's show.   Same harder rock theme and key musicians with Joe Williams as main vocal, and there was no I'll Be Over You or 99.

Africa closed, and brought the house down, perfect closing song.    And of course Hold The Line was great, although surprised it was played a ways before the encore set.

Steve Lukather has still got it. 

They did make mention of, and paid tribute to the memories of Michael and Jeff.   I had forgotten that Jeff was on drums for a Steely Dan album, and that Michael toured with Boz Scaggs back in the day.

I saw Boz Scaggs perform a year ago at the L.A. Fair as a DH with Chicago.

I told myself about 5 years ago that, self, I was going to make as many concerts of the oldtime groups/acts, as I possibly could, to make up for lost time.   I must have gone so far to about a dozen such concerts in the past 4+ years.

Oracle,

I have been doing same catching many concerts from old groups making up for 30 years where I didn't go to many.  I can't listen to current pop music.  Old musicians sound even better to me nowadays except for groups that have lost the vocals or the intensity.  I also attend Lincoln Center & Carnegie Hall for classical performances and go to jazz performances.  I try to catch the Nutcracker around Christmas.  Sounds like we have similar musical interests. 

I strongly suggest that you should go to see Bramwell Tovey who conducts the Vancouver Symphony & who travels to LA.  He plays Hollywood Bowl regularly. He is a double treat great conductor as well as stand up comedian.

Oracle, 

Today is my Birthday Big 60 unbelievable which is huge day in NY 15th year anniversary as well as NFL kickoff Sunday & US Open Finals.  I will be at a special spot with panoramic view taking it all in with some friends & old acquaintances.

I remember back in mid 90's when my B'day fell on Sunday great day perfect except someone I know had a boating accident & hit another boat causing damage but he forgot to pay his insurance so it cost him.

I grew up watching the construction of WTC & in summer of '73 while in high school took elevator to roof to check it out.  Men in hard hats walking around finishing up roof.  I was chased off.  I knew everything about WTC eventually.

Edited by Robrock30

Rob,

I just happen to be turning 60 in 4 weeks.   It's hard to believe how fast the years go by.    

You are sooo right about the old acts even today being better than the current acts, as it's hard for me to develop a taste for the current music and I have tried.

Those are great memories you have of the WTC.   Today is a poignant anniversary.   I remember   observing the 10th anniversary while attending an LA Kings pre-season fan fest at Staples Center.

I will mention Bramwell Tovey to my girlfriend.   She also loves all kinds of music pre 1990s, and would get a kick out of the stand up comedy.