• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

LA Times: Framed

nate

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Dang, I do remember reading that story awhile back. 

Will have to finish later, but good read so far.

Damn Irvine is goofy...

Yeah, same here.  I remember this when it first broke.  Articles like this just show, newspapers aren't dead.  It's just amazing how it could have gone bad for Peters at any point.  And yet somehow it didn't.  And how quickly it unraveled for Easter.  Being a partner can't be easy to kick out so easily, and fighting a dream team can't be easy also.

59 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, same here.  I remember this when it first broke.  Articles like this just show, newspapers aren't dead.  It's just amazing how it could have gone bad for Peters at any point.  And yet somehow it didn't.  And how quickly it unraveled for Easter.  Being a partner can't be easy to kick out so easily, and fighting a dream team can't be easy also.

Agreed, great article by the times.

Some musings:

First, that is THE whitest crime story I've ever read in my life...from top to bottom. The rich mom making way too big of a deal about her kid standing outside of a classroom...karate (in any year later than UFC 20..0r 30...or 40...) classes at school....the bad guy complaining the ex wife won't give updates on the family cat, or give back the sleep apnea machine...

The highlight is the bad guy placing the anonymous call...and breaking into a horrible Indian accent midway through. And before the article even mentioned it, the first thing my cop senses laughed at was the weed being packed with the zanny....in the pocket behind the seat....that...never...happens....that was seriously the work of someone who based their plan off of bad movie cliches. Almost surprised they didn't write "the crips" on it.

Kudos to the Irvine copper for smelling Bullshit off the bat. 

That said, I also chuckle that Irvine pd had time for all that...going to search the victims home after finding weed and a few pills in her car....wow. their admin was more involved in this than ours are for shootings....but that's a good thing. Irvine may be boring, but it's a safe community, and not having bad community problems is a good thing. And being thorough got the victim exonerated, and the bad people prosecuted.

Also, aside from the lady....the other victim here is the firefighter. Poor bastand got burn jobbed by the psycho bitch (bonus points for pretending to be deaf at the trial). Hope he sues, too...would be rad if the bad guy also had to pay out sancho.

Can't believe 2 people with a bunch of money, nice house, careers, a family etc would do something this stupid, and totally ruin their lives....amazing.

Good read, nate, thanks for posting.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

That said, I also chuckle that Irvine pd had time for all that...going to search the victims home after finding weed and a few pills in her car....lol. their administration was more involved in this than ours are for shootings....but that's a good thing. Irvine may be boring, but it's a safe community, and not having bad community problems is a good thing.

Also, aside from the lady....the other victim here is the firefighter. Poor bastand got burn jobbed by the psycho bitch (bonus points for pretending to be deaf at the trial). Hope he sues, too...would be rad if the bad guy also had to pay out sancho...lol

Irvine isn't just safe it's regularly one if not the safest cities of it's size in the US.  I work in Irvine and one of the local magazines they have available at work had an article some years back about a guy who robbed a home owner.  She had her garage open which wasn't unusual during the day and he entered through the garage, robbed her and ran off.  She called the cops and within minutes they had something like 15 cop cars, police dogs and multiple helicopters searching for him.  Naturally he didn't get very far.

I have no sympathy for the fire fighter.  Both he and the crazy blond broad were cheating on their spouses and her contacting his wife is is karma coming full circle.    

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Well the fireman was fucking her while married to someone else. Don't feel too bad for him

Not so much that I feel bad for him, just adding to the tally for the bad ladies scorecard. She ruined two men, and almost one woman. 

And to clarify, I don't feel bad for the guy, was more just making a dumb joke about his bad luck.

She also ruined the victims kid and her own.

Ten I have a question for you as a cop that may have come up on here before.  You work in LB and I know a few cops that work there and in other areas that have high crime rates and I've always wondered what do you as a cop working there think of cops in say Irvine, Newport or HB?  I know bad things can happen anywhere but whether it's petty crime or violent crimes the rates in some areas are so much lower than Long Beach, LA and so on.  I know OC saw increases across the board in crime rates last year and HB has seen some violent crimes recently due to a some new elements.  

That said for the most part the cops downtown wearing shorts hitting on drunk chicks seem to have it much better off than a guy I ran into from high school.  He told me just that week while working in Long Beach he and his partner pulled a car over, were questioning the people in the car then they had to hit the floor when shots rang out from somewhere else.  I'm not expecting that you look down on other cops at all but it just seems like an apple to oranges comparison depending on the area.  It's like when I see the fire station in HB a few blocks from the beach then I think about all the guys I've met who are fire fighters in LA and the crazy stories they've told me.  

I don't work in long Beach, that's LBhalos that posts on here, but he hasn't posted in awhile.

As far as busy cities vs nicer cities, there  is always going to be a "my weiner is bigger than yours" mentality. Same as the military, big college sports vs smaller, etc. It's silly but it exists. 

That said, it really is, like you said, apples and oranges. The job is always the same, whether you're working 77th LAPD or Laguna Beach. We go and try to fix problems. But the guys working south LA and the cities around it, Santa Ana and the other north County cities are going to street crime calls way more than say Irvine, South County etc. And so yes, there is the "what do those guys even do?" attitude from a lot of guys.

The irony being the nicer cities pay better than the bad ones. 

To be fair, the guys that have the bragging rights (the busy cities) do earn it. They're doing what we all sign up for daily, and so they earn that swagger  (though plenty let it go to their head). I work for one of the busiest agencies in the county, so I get a little cred when I come across guys from a slower city, but I know there's places worse than our shop so I never look at it any different.

Personally, just my two cents, the only agencies I do kind of outright chuckle at are the quiet departments that try and keep up with busier ones by making bigger deals out of smaller things. If say Irvine  (as an example, I don't really know anyone over there) says "it's a nice town, we know it, no need to act hard", I'll never knock those guys. They're still doing the job, dealing with drunks, thefts, domestics, suicides etc etc. But if they had the attitude of "trust us, we get the same stuff you guys do", that's when you kind of politely nod your head but laugh inside. 

But you're right, I'd way rather be the Huntington cop that's flirting with the fake boobed chick than the LB copper who's getting shot at. Rather have the Huntington cops paycheck too.

Thanks for the response.  Like I said that wasn't meant at all to be insulting to cops rather I could just imagine a police convention where you've got the guy from LA/LB talking about getting shot at by drug dealers.  Then you have the guy with a tan telling the story about how some drunk chick got unruly at sharky's while he and 3 other cops took her down.  I'm guessing the nicer areas are harder to get into so you take what you can get but it just seems like it's such a stark contrast being a cop or fire fighter in one city as opposed to another.  You can say the same thing about working a job for one company vs. another but the difference is most of them don't involve getting shot at.  

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And regardless of agency, if you wear shorts as a cop (unless you're a narc), you get laughed at by all. And rightfully so.

Hey, come on.  Bike patrol.  /giggle

Although I guess in high density areas, bike patrols aren't that bad of thing. 

Funny thing is.  About 5 or so years ago, had a murder on our street.  Being in LA, it's not uncommon, just uncommon for our neighborhood.  LAPD sent the kitchen sink into the area.  2 helicopters, at least 2 dozen detectives, patrol officers, and bike patrol.  Not sure where they came from, since I've never seen them in the area before.  But there they were in their shorts.

What an interesting story. Talk about awful parents, what a nightmare situation they created over nothing. We see some of those parents each year, parents who have trust issues. One of them is a local cop who has no clue what a pain his kid has been, and sees us as very incompetent, yet continues to send his kid to our school.

8 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Thanks for the response.  Like I said that wasn't meant at all to be insulting to cops rather I could just imagine a police convention where you've got the guy from LA/LB talking about getting shot at by drug dealers.  Then you have the guy with a tan telling the story about how some drunk chick got unruly at sharky's while he and 3 other cops took her down.  I'm guessing the nicer areas are harder to get into so you take what you can get but it just seems like it's such a stark contrast being a cop or fire fighter in one city as opposed to another.  You can say the same thing about working a job for one company vs. another but the difference is most of them don't involve getting shot at.  

Yeah, haha, it definitely happens. You're out for a drink with a guy you know from another shop, he brings a friend of his and you bring a guy you know from somewhere else. I swear it's usually the guys from the slower places that tell the most stories.

In my experience, the guys that do the most talk the least, because it's become so routine nobody is really interested in talking about it outside of work. The places where things like pursuits are rare are brought up more by the guys working there than say anaheim, and new guys.

8 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Hey, come on.  Bike patrol.  /giggle

Although I guess in high density areas, bike patrols aren't that bad of thing. 

Funny thing is.  About 5 or so years ago, had a murder on our street.  Being in LA, it's not uncommon, just uncommon for our neighborhood.  LAPD sent the kitchen sink into the area.  2 helicopters, at least 2 dozen detectives, patrol officers, and bike patrol.  Not sure where they came from, since I've never seen them in the area before.  But there they were in their shorts.

Good call, the bike guys get a pass. Or I guess if you work at the beach and walk around the sand. But every now and then I see patrol guys from different places wearing like post office workers shorts....shudder.