• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Tolliver a steal?

DMVol

Glad that Shoemaker is recovering well -- Tolliver might be a good pick up -- hope so.

As for Blanton -- hey, he's doing well for the Dogs. No crying over spilt milk there -- Halos gave Blanton every opportunity in almost every type of role -- he was terrible -- deemed the worst pitcher in MLB that year --- 2-14 with us.  SIgned with who? Oakland after that -- and has worked his way back to be the pre-set up guy on a team on the verge of winning the NL West.

I wouldn't doubt Tolliver can be a steal. Eppler's played the waiver wire effectively this season, using it as an inexpensive way to acquire high upside talent in need of an organization that needs to win on a few lottery tickets and can offer the time and patience necessary to really see what these kids got.

I think Meyer, Banuelos, Tolliver, Valdez, Guerra were all pretty shrewd moves. Valdez and Guerra both look like they can be solid middle relievers, if not a close in Valdez's case. Meyer and Banuelos might end up being the future of this rotation for all we know.

I'm looking forward to watching Wright pitch, he's the only one where I really was scratching my head as to why. 

meanwhile the pick up of Andrew Bailey could be the Frieri type pick up for us the rest of this year and perhaps in 2017.

remember we got Freiri (spelled wrong) as sort of a throw in on a deal and he wound up being our closer for almost two seasons.

we never expected that when we obtained him and he pitched well for us until he flamed out (and he when he went down hill, he became ineffective on a consistent basis very quickly).

so Bailey may handle closing duties for the rest of 2016 -- perhaps pitching well enough to ensure that the Halos play themselves out of a prime draft pick spot -- and perhaps entering 2017........if he can reclaim a semblance of his ROY level performance with Oakland a number of years back........this could be a steal of a deal for us. At least to make it through a 2017 'bridge' year.

4 hours ago, disarcina said:

meanwhile the pick up of Andrew Bailey could be the Frieri type pick up for us the rest of this year and perhaps in 2017.

remember we got Freiri (spelled wrong) as sort of a throw in on a deal and he wound up being our closer for almost two seasons.

we never expected that when we obtained him and he pitched well for us until he flamed out (and he when he went down hill, he became ineffective on a consistent basis very quickly).

so Bailey may handle closing duties for the rest of 2016 -- perhaps pitching well enough to ensure that the Halos play themselves out of a prime draft pick spot -- and perhaps entering 2017........if he can reclaim a semblance of his ROY level performance with Oakland a number of years back........this could be a steal of a deal for us. At least to make it through a 2017 'bridge' year.

Frieri wasn't a throw-in, Dipoto acquired him for two mediocre prospects (Alexi Amarista and Donn Roach) who were our 12th and 16th best prospects at the time. Both haven't amounted to much, but I guess that says more about the Angel's farm system at the time than anything else.

7 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

I wouldn't doubt Tolliver can be a steal. Eppler's played the waiver wire effectively this season, using it as an inexpensive way to acquire high upside talent in need of an organization that needs to win on a few lottery tickets and can offer the time and patience necessary to really see what these kids got.

I think Meyer, Banuelos, Tolliver, Valdez, Guerra were all pretty shrewd moves. Valdez and Guerra both look like they can be solid middle relievers, if not a close in Valdez's case. Meyer and Banuelos might end up being the future of this rotation for all we know.

I'm looking forward to watching Wright pitch, he's the only one where I really was scratching my head as to why. 

100% agree. I'm pretty excited about anyone Eppler brings in right now, because up to this point he hasn't really given me any reason to doubt what he and his scouts have been doing. Lincecum is basically the only clear cut flop, and that was a move made so much our of necessity I can't really fault him for it. Didn't really cost much either.

Nava and Gentry are close, but both spent so much time injured it's hard to say it. It could have turned out differently if both were able to stay healthy at the same time for two months straight as intended. Failure to recognize their fragility is a knock on Billy I guess.

Otherwise, pretty much every other player he has brought in has at least contributed positively in some way, and all without really giving up more than Aybar, Santiago, Newcomb, Ellis, and a few million bucks.