• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Do you love your work?

m0nkey

i love my job. i get to work with fun kids most of the time, we talk about interesting things, and we generally have a lot of fun. the toughest part of my job is kids that aren't interested, kids that are uncooperative, and parents who interfere. fortunately, we usually have way more of the former and not too many of the latter.

Loving your job 100% of the time might be unhealthy for some people.  There will come days, weeks, and months, where things change and begin to go badly -- and the resulting depression is intense.  Then you realize how much you idolized, and maybe even depended on(?) the job or work environment you've just lost. 

On the street I lived on 25 years ago, we had a mailman who absolutely loved walking his route and talking to all the neighbors.  This wasn't just small talk, sometimes he spent 20 minutes at one house talking about everything under the sun.  He knew everybody.  He was always invited to neighborhood BBQ's.  I don't remember the specifics anymore, but he was injured and then medically disqualified by USPS.  Not long after, he committed suicide.

He loved his job so much, he couldn't live without it. 

42 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

Loving your job 100% of the time might be unhealthy for some people.  There will come days, weeks, and months, where things change and begin to go badly -- and the resulting depression is intense.  Then you realize how much you idolized, and maybe even depended on(?) the job or work environment you've just lost. 

On the street I lived on 25 years ago, we had a mailman who absolutely loved walking his route and talking to all the neighbors.  This wasn't just small talk, sometimes he spent 20 minutes at one house talking about everything under the sun.  He knew everybody.  He was always invited to neighborhood BBQ's.  I don't remember the specifics anymore, but he was injured and then medically disqualified by USPS.  Not long after, he committed suicide.

I think it's because the mail never stopped.....

1 hour ago, mp170.6 said:

Damn....sad ending to that story!

(Side note, though I don't hope for suicide, there's a few people I work with who love their job too much, who I hope lose it and get irritable bowel syndrome at least)

I shouldn't make jokes, that's a very sad story mp. You sure it's true, nor just one of those neighborhood rumors? (Not pointing a finger at you, just that my buddies drunk dad I grew up down the street from would spread rumors like that a lot).

But I could see it...lonely type who's day to day contact with people may have been his only "friends". Doubtful they went out of their way to keep in touch with him when he retired, and that could sting if you felt those people were your friends.

Your street was a bunch of dicks, mp.

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I shouldn't make jokes, that's a very sad story mp. You sure it's true, nor just one of those neighborhood rumors? (Not pointing a finger at you, just that my buddies drunk dad I grew up down the street from would spread rumors like that a lot).

But I could see it...lonely type who's day to day contact with people may have been his only "friends". Doubtful they went out of their way to keep in touch with him when he retired, and that could sting if you felt those people were your friends.

Your street was a bunch of dicks, mp.

I doubt anybody truly knows the reasoning behind a suicide, but that's the story we heard.  The news and supposed circumstances of his demise definitely fit the bill.  This mailman was the type of guy who probably woke up at 4:00am to get to work by 7:00am -- with a five minute commute.  

You know the type of person I'm talking about?

Know exactly the kind. (I'm the one who always shows up at 30 seconds past my start time, and argues that I'm still on time with the people who've been ready to go for fifteen minutes).

Sad story, man. And it sounds familiar. There's a lot of people out there who don't really have anything outside of work.

There's guys I work with who could have retired a few years ago,l. Maxed out pension, so they actually lose money staying at work (still contributing 12 percent to the pension without it growing). For the life of me I don't get them. We could all die before I finish writing this...go out and live a life. Don't waste your life living groundhogs day, get some hobbies, make some friends, enjoy new experiences.

I read an article a few weeks back when nurses (or something similar) talked about the most common things dying people talk about. The usual is how they got tied down too young, and never got to do and see the things they wanted. Travel, some type of experience (skydiving, cross country trip, Marais Gras or whatever). Not gonna be me...

7 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

I doubt anybody truly knows the reasoning behind a suicide, but that's the story we heard.  The news and supposed circumstances of his demise definitely fit the bill.  This mailman was the type of guy who probably woke up at 4:00am to get to work by 7:00am -- with a five minute commute.  

You know the type of person I'm talking about?

My wife

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I read an article a few weeks back when nurses (or something similar) talked about the most common things dying people talk about. The usual is how they got tied down too young, and never got to do and see the things they wanted. Travel, some type of experience (skydiving, cross country trip, Marais Gras or whatever). Not gonna be me...

That's where I feel a balance should be struck. It's ok to enjoy your job, but people need to find a way to go and enjoy life outside of that. Which is tough if you live the typical American existence of 10 days PTO/year (and worse for a lot of contractors, which is an ethical shit show, IMO). 

I have a buddy that takes a month off every year to do a solo trip through an area of the world he's never been to. Instead of negotiating salary on his current job, he just talked them in to 20 days of paid vacation per year with the understanding that he'd be unreachable for one month out of the year. Loved that.

1 minute ago, mp170.6 said:

Has anyone ever worked with people who refuse to retire until forced out?  I know a guy who went until age 82 -- had a 1951 seniority date.  Word has it that his health began to deteriorate a month after he retired. 

I guess some people are just wired to be workaholics? 

I took a Gerontology class in college, and we talked about exactly that a bit. The depression rate immediately post-retirement, among men especially, is scary high.

I played golf on the weekends with a guy that had sold his business and retired when he was 68. He could only play so much golf and bought the company back at age 73. he was 88 at the time we were playing, had more money than he could spend if he was half his age but still went to work 5 days a week. Great guy and quirky as hell. His son bought him 88 dozen new golf balls for his birthday and he still would walk up into the tree line to collect balls to play with. He joked he liked them like his women, experienced, not virgins.

I enjoy what I do. Last October I was reassigned to a facility that was, to put it bluntly, in terrible shape. When my boss said "I want you to go in there and see what you can do with it", I had an idea that things were pretty dire. In my previous location I had spent several years assembling the team that I wanted, and the place pretty much ran itself with little input from me. From this I walked into a place where the staff was essentially abused by the previous manager, and the staffing chart showed it (13 vacant positions out of 36). That staffing chart is what was staring me in the face in my first two minutes on the job. I was left to wonder how we were even operating.

Mid October will mark one year at this location. We are nearly fully staffed, and four people have transferred in - something that would never have happened before. It is still a work in progress, but it's rewarding to see where things are as opposed to where they were.