• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cowart

Cdaniel

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Might be better to just bring in a 2B that is a true MLB player, and let Cowart focus on improving his bat while playing GG 3B defense.

Kaleb Cowart isn't good enough overall to force Escobar from third, and Yunel has too much value as one of our few tradeable assets to just move him for the sake of it for someone like Cowart. 

I'd have Yunel open on the trading block all offseason and into next season and hold a high price, and hope someone meets it. Lower that price in late June, and if he's still with the club when the deadline hits, take what we can get for him at that point. 

I don't think there is enough of a market right now for Yunel for it to be worth replacing him with Cowart. 

Then, maybe it's better to have Cowart continue to work on his hitting at SLC while playing 3B to start 2017.   Then when Escobar is inevitably traded by July, hope that Cowart finally figures it out at the plate just enough.

Can't keep Escobar anyway beyond 2017, he will be 35 in 2018.   And they need to get someone for him by July.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Then, maybe it's better to have Cowart continue to work on his hitting at SLC while playing 3B to start 2017.   Then when Escobar is inevitably traded by July, hope that Cowart finally figures it out at the plate just enough.

Can't keep Escobar anyway beyond 2017, he will be 35 in 2018.   And they need to get someone for him by July.

Yup. Zero reason to keep Esco past July '17. Even Joe Smith fetched us a decent prospect in a similar position, so Escobar should net us something at that time.

But until then, I would hold him for a very specific asking price in hopes someone pays up or an injury forces a clubs hand. It's a gamble, but the team needs that type of prospect return from Escobar now more than a 'deal for the sake of a deal' return. Cowart isn't enough to budge that price.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Yup. Zero reason to keep Esco past July '17. Even Joe Smith fetched us a decent prospect in a similar position, so Escobar should net us something at that time.

But until then, I would hold him for a very specific asking price in hopes someone pays up or an injury forces a clubs hand. It's a gamble, but the team needs that type of prospect return from Escobar now more than a 'deal for the sake of a deal' return. Cowart isn't enough to budge that price.

I agree ... but unless you have a crystal ball, I can think of a reason to keep Escobar past the trade deadline. 

12 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I agree ... but unless you have a crystal ball, I can think of a reason to keep Escobar past the trade deadline. 

Uh, there's no damn way I keep Escobar past the deadline. 

Only way I could see that making any shred of sense would be if both Cowart and Marte are traded for pitching help, the rotation turns into solid gold, Escobar hits .325 again, and the Angels make the playoffs in '17.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Uh, there's no damn way I keep Escobar past the deadline. 

Only way I could see that making any shred of sense would be if both Cowart and Marte are traded for pitching help, the rotation turns into solid gold, Escobar hits .325 again, and the Angels make the playoffs in '17.

If we're in contention next season ...  then,   that may be the damn way. I'm not conceding 2017 just yet. 

That's the only way ... you're right.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

You would extend a 3B turning 35 in 2018????

I'm not advocating anything ... would like to see Marte on the corner as a power bat (Donaldson :) ) in the lineup. I have strong doubts about Cowart but will be rooting for the kid. 

Escobar at 35-36 really isn't much of a concern. His body type will hold up just fine. 

Yeah, I struggle to see many scenarios where Escobar is here beyond '17 deadline. If Cron, Marte, or Cowart are dealt for pitching - more of a Dipoto move than an Eppler move - than that scenario starts to emerge - not one I would choose, but if one of those happens this offseason then it could become reality. Definitely not the route I'd take. 

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, I struggle to see many scenarios where Escobar is here beyond '17 deadline. If Cron, Marte, or Cowart are dealt for pitching - more of a Dipoto move than an Eppler move - than that scenario starts to emerge - not one I would choose, but if one of those happens this offseason then it could become reality. Definitely not the route I'd take. 

I guess one scenario would be if we just don't get any decent offers for him....he has some baggage and some flaws (defense) which seemingly effected his value at the deadline this July....if we don't have an obvious in house replacement doing well next year, Marte or Cowart or whoever, heck I might extend him for another year (if you could work something out)....just too soon to worry about it very much...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He has got to be the worst .310+ hitter in baseball. His WAR is 1.8, OPS+ 112

Since 2000, there have been 13 individual seasons where a hitter has had an average of .310 or above and qualified for the batting title but finished under 2 WAR. Escobar has two of them, unless he really goes on a tear (or drops below a .310 average) in the final six games.

It's rare for someone with such a high average to be of so little value, but it also hopefully illustrates to people that batting average is a poor way to judge a player's ability.

On 9/24/2016 at 6:37 PM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Is Cowart still on this team or did they send to the instructional league or something else. He hasn't been any worse than Pennington but hasn't played in a week or more.

6 for your last 43 won't get you a lot of AB's, unless you are Mike Trout or Albert Pujols...