• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cowart

Cdaniel

29 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

So why worry about Cowart ... 

Success of a teams 1st and 2nd round picks are important to a teams success?

At least that's why I'm interested/worried about Cowart's success. 

Already have had 1st round picks Brandon Wood, Chevy Clark, Taylor Lindsey and Ryan Bolden fail.  2nd round pick Hunter Green retire.  And traded 1st round picks Newcomb and Grichuk and 2nd round picks Corbin and Chatwood. 

55 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because depth and defense are both good things to have.  

I agree ... but that has nothing to do with his playing time. He's a prospect that is having problems hitting at tha ML level. We've been down this road before with B. Woods. 

He will have to make the most out of his playing time and prepare himself for ST. He's not going to magically get better by throwing him out to the wolves. 

Everybody wants Cowart to succeed ... especially the FO/Scioscia/fans/family. 

1 hour ago, ksangel said:

Already have had 1st round picks Brandon Wood, Chevy Clark, Taylor Lindsey and Ryan Bolden fail.  2nd round pick Hunter Green retire.  And traded 1st round picks Newcomb and Grichuk and 2nd round picks Corbin and Chatwood. 

Newcomb was a big success for the Angels. 

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hitting, definitely yes

But can Marte field at 3B well enough?

It's a limited sample, way too small to say for sure, but defensive metrics actually like his play at 3B. In fact UZR/150 really likes him. I struggle to buy him being that good defensively, but I could see him being okay over there as long as the bat doesn't drop off.

Marte is opening up some interesting possibilities for us. If we really buy his bat, we could try to sell high on Cron to get some pitching back and stick Marte at 1B/DH next year. Marte has actually been better than Escobar this year (rated about the same offensively and better defensively) so we could trade Yunel and let Marte play 3B, hopefully with Cowart still seeing playing time there (and some at second too). The whole LF thing could be an option too but he has looked brutal out there, I'm not sure I see that one sticking.

I would be hesitant to let go of Cron at this point because of his ability to use the entire field when hitting. Of his 16 home run, 5 were to right field. He has increased his line drive and fly ball rate over last season which points to him starting to utilize his power. The eyeball test says he takes a different approach with 2 strikes and looks to find a hole rather than to swing out of his shoes. He does seem to go with outside pitches instead of being pull happy late in the count.

His glove work has improved, both fielding batted balls and knowing what to do with it when it's in his glove. He's also gotten better with the catch and tag on baserunners going back to first. He's no gold glove or All Star but he is improving and may have a breakout season and start hitting bombs at a rate like an offense orientated first baseman so possibly a late bloomer that could become a regret trade as Pujols power declines.

5 hours ago, ksangel said:

I don't get all the love Grichuk gets, he has never had a great season at the plate. He has 24 HR, but an OBP .291.

55 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I don't get all the love Grichuk gets, he has never had a great season at the plate. He has 24 HR, but an OBP .291.

He's having a down year, clearly. But he's still a good defender putting up a .779 OPS and 104 OPS+ at age 24. If that's what he is like in a down year, his up years must be pretty good.

2 hours ago, Oz27 said:

He's having a down year, clearly. But he's still a good defender putting up a .779 OPS and 104 OPS+ at age 24. If that's what he is like in a down year, his up years must be pretty good.

When has he a good year? His best year - 2015 - .276/.329 - 17 HR - 47 RBI - 49 runs. 3.2 WAR

An OK season but nothing special.

18 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

When has he a good year? His best year - 2015 - .276/.329 - 17 HR - 47 RBI - 49 runs. 3.2 WAR

An OK season but nothing special.

It depends how you define 'special', I guess. In 2015 he was worth two wins more than the average major league player. That was 3.2 WAR over 350 PAs too, spread it over a full season and that's borderline all-star level. At 23, that is pretty damn impressive.

Even this year he is still at 2.8 WAR and 1.3 wins above average. His offense has still been valuable and his defense is underrated.

1 hour ago, Oz27 said:

It depends how you define 'special', I guess. In 2015 he was worth two wins more than the average major league player. That was 3.2 WAR over 350 PAs too, spread it over a full season and that's borderline all-star level. At 23, that is pretty damn impressive.

Even this year he is still at 2.8 WAR and 1.3 wins above average. His offense has still been valuable and his defense is underrated.

baseball Reference says a WAR of 5+ was All Star level.

1 hour ago, Oz27 said:

The average major leaguer gets you one win a year?  

46 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

baseball Reference says a WAR of 5+ was All Star level.

If he had performed as he did in 2015 over 600 PAs (a full season) and his 3.2 WAR season would be 5.4 WAR. Not saying that is who he really is or that he will ever do that again, but his performance that year was very good. Anyway, 3-4 win players make all star teams all the time.