• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

KTLA will broadcast six Dodger games in tribute to Vin Scully

fan_since79

actually -- with Jose Mota -- if this has not happened - and I think it has -- Jose Mota should interview Manny Mota (probably next year during the freeway series -- Dodgers- Angel game at the Ravine) and FSN should keep the interview for it's archives..........Vin Scully is no doubt an greater LA area treasure and an All Time great.

So is Manny Mota who was a very beloved player and a fan favorite to this day even though his coaching. broadcasting, scouting role has been reduced -- he's 78 these days.

I will always remember the Dodgers placing coach Manny Mota, then something like 44 years old - on the active roster in a critical season ending three game series vs. Houston. The Dodgers needed to sweep the Astros to force a one game play off --  they did -- and in two of the games the critical clutch hit in the late innings was delivered by none other than COACH MANNY MOTA.

I remember his first time up after being activated at age 44-- either bases loaded or first and third -- something like that -- either tie game or Dodgers down one run -- Mota slaps an RBI single up the middle........Dodger Stadium just explodes in uproar and a standing O for Manny Mota.........

FSN (back then Prime Ticket I guess) should be re-running another interview from the vaults this week -- the show they did with Chick Hearn, Bob Miller and Vin Scully on one panel.

Talk about LA area legends..........

2 hours ago, disarcina said:

actually -- with Jose Mota -- if this has not happened - and I think it has -- Jose Mota should interview Manny Mota (probably next year during the freeway series -- Dodgers- Angel game at the Ravine) and FSN should keep the interview for it's archives..........Vin Scully is no doubt an greater LA area treasure and an All Time great.

So is Manny Mota who was a very beloved player and a fan favorite to this day even though his coaching. broadcasting, scouting role has been reduced -- he's 78 these days.

I will always remember the Dodgers placing coach Manny Mota, then something like 44 years old - on the active roster in a critical season ending three game series vs. Houston. The Dodgers needed to sweep the Astros to force a one game play off --  they did -- and in two of the games the critical clutch hit in the late innings was delivered by none other than COACH MANNY MOTA.

I remember his first time up after being activated at age 44-- either bases loaded or first and third -- something like that -- either tie game or Dodgers down one run -- Mota slaps an RBI single up the middle........Dodger Stadium just explodes in uproar and a standing O for Manny Mota.........

FSN (back then Prime Ticket I guess) should be re-running another interview from the vaults this week -- the show they did with Chick Hearn, Bob Miller and Vin Scully on one panel.

Talk about LA area legends..........

Chick Hearn on Bowling for Dollars was classic. Every time a some Mexican dude would compete Chick would ask him "What's your favorite Mexican food, Tacos or Burritos?"

15 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Chick Hearn on Bowling for Dollars was classic. Every time a some Mexican dude would compete Chick would ask him "What's your favorite Mexican food, Tacos or Burritos?"

You ask a question like that today and everyone will be accusing you of racism.

I miss the days before political correctness went crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting statistical facts:

Vin Scully has called games in which Preacher Roe pitched. He was born in 1916. He's also called games in which Julio Urias appeared. Julio was born in 1996. That's eighty years.

The Dodgers have a winning record against every NL team in the years that Scully has called the games (since 1950). But they have a losing record against the Angels, who are 61-49 vs the Dodgers.

Scully has called 560 walk-off hits by the Dodgers since he began his career. The latest was Charlie Culberson's home run on Sunday.

14 minutes ago, mancini79 said:

To be fair, Vin's favorite childhood team was the Giants. So this would be full circle for him. 

The people who attended Saturday's game got a nice letter from Vin. It mentioned that October 2nd will be the 80th anniversary of the day he first became aware of major league baseball. Walking home from school on October 2, 1936, he passed by a Chinese laundry and saw a World Series update posted in the window. The Giants were losing 18-4, and he felt sorry for them and immediately became a Giants fan.