• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

KTLA will broadcast six Dodger games in tribute to Vin Scully

fan_since79

I like this move. I know they're the Dodgers, but still...last chance to hear Vin Scully.

Three games at home against the Rockies, Sept. 23,24,25, and final three games in San Francisco, Sept. 30, Oct. 1,2

http://ktla.com/2016/09/02/ktla-to-broadcast-six-los-angeles-dodgers-games-including-vin-scully-appreciation-day/

21 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

I think all playoff games are national coverage (FOX/FS1, TBS, MLB Network). Unfortunately, I think the end of the regular season will be Vin's last games.

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't be shocked if one of those networks threw him a bone and let him do a few innings.

Just now, Don said:

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't be shocked if one of those networks threw him a bone and let him do a few innings.

That would be great. Who would you rather hear calling a game, Joe Buck or Vin? I can't imagine that the people who make the decision who will call what series won't ask him if he wants to call the Dodgers home games. But maybe they can't because there are already contractual obligations to other commentators.

To me this has been an ongoing joke and although I'm sure the fans will have some small satisfaction being able to hear Vin, it is my personal opinion the Dodgers have been a partner in screwing over their fans along with Time Warner and others. All have some measure of responsibility.

13 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

I won't be watching the Dodgers unless they are in the play-offs and probably only if I'm forced to if they are in the WS.

I'm not much of a fan of Scully who has become a caricature of himself and probably should have retired several years ago. 

tumblr_lf5h51aMmH1qazn6h.gif

12 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

I won't be watching the Dodgers unless they are in the play-offs and probably only if I'm forced to if they are in the WS.

I'm not much of a fan of Scully who has become a caricature of himself and probably should have retired several years ago. 

Care to give some examples to reinforce this statement?

7 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

That's my opinion of Scully's waxing poetic about some nonsense that doesn't relate to the game and ignoring the action while he can't remember anyones name. lol

The dude lost it years ago and should have retired.

YMMV

"Can't remember anyone's name" is an exaggeration. Sure, he may slip up more now than he did in the past, but he's still pretty sharp for an 88-year-old guy. And his "waxing poetic" is what has always differentiated him from every other announcer. It's what fills in the time that is usually reserved for the color commentator.

Whatever though, opinions are opinions. You're probably a huge Joe Buck fan.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

To me this has been an ongoing joke and although I'm sure the fans will have some small satisfaction being able to hear Vin, it is my personal opinion the Dodgers have been a partner in screwing over their fans along with Time Warner and others. All have some measure of responsibility.

Thank goodness that has nothing to do with Vin Scully. The one thing that the Dodgers fans didn't get screwed on is their season as they're in a pennant race and I envy them for that. All we have to look forward to is the winter meetings and the smell of freshly cut grass next spring training. That sucks!

27 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

"Can't remember anyone's name" is an exaggeration. Sure, he may slip up more now than he did in the past, but he's still pretty sharp for an 88-year-old guy. And his "waxing poetic" is what has always differentiated him from every other announcer. It's what fills in the time that is usually reserved for the color commentator.

Whatever though, opinions are opinions. You're probably a huge Joe Buck fan.

Sorry, but I don't care for the Dodgers or Scully's "charm". As far as his mangling of names go he's been doing it for years. Remember Marquis Grissom former Montreal Expo? Scully used to call him "Marcus" all the time, you know, like Marcus Allen the football player. lol While waxing poetic about Marcus one game Scully decided to tell the story of how Grissom's father came to name him Marquis. Seemed Marquis father owned a Mercury Marquis (pronounced Mar Kee) and named his son after the car he was working on the day he was born. Scully went on and on until he finally realized he'd been calling him Marcus and the car was a Mar Kee! LOLOL You just had to hear it..not an exaggeration lol

btw..Joe Buck is horrible.

12 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Sorry, but I don't care for the Dodgers or Scully's "charm". As far as his mangling of names go he's been doing it for years. Remember Marquis Grissom former Montreal Expo? Scully used to call him "Marcus" all the time, you know, like Marcus Allen the football player. lol While waxing poetic about Marcus one game Scully decided to tell the story of how Grissom's father came to name him Marquis. Seemed Marquis father owned a Mercury Marquis (pronounced Mar Kee) and named his son after the car he was working on the day he was born. Scully went on and on until he finally realized he'd been calling him Marcus and the car was a Mar Kee! LOLOL You just had to hear it..not an exaggeration lol

btw..Joe Buck is horrible.

He's always gotten names wrong though. I can remember him doing that way back when I was a kid. Like I said, opinions are opinions. I personally enjoy listening to him tell stories. A few years ago, he told the story about Frieri grinding the corn for his grandma's tamale business every time the Dodgers played the Angels that year. Must have told the same story 5 times. I just think it's more entertaining than the way regular commentators call games.

1 hour ago, Ray McKigney said:

He's always gotten names wrong though. I can remember him doing that way back when I was a kid. Like I said, opinions are opinions. I personally enjoy listening to him tell stories. A few years ago, he told the story about Frieri grinding the corn for his grandma's tamale business every time the Dodgers played the Angels that year. Must have told the same story 5 times. I just think it's more entertaining than the way regular commentators call games.

One thing Scully used to do (and maybe still does?) that must have ticked off old time Dodger fans was that he all but ignored what happened in Brooklyn. How many times were Dodger fans told by Scully that Eric Karros was the all time Los Angeles Dodger home run leader? Of course it's true, but Duke Snider is the all time franchise leader in home runs (he hit more than 100 more than Karros) but Scully rarely if ever mentioned it. I'll bet there are many Dodger fans that think Karros is the all time home run king. The only thing Scully mentions less is the Angels. lol (Ever notice that for years when giving out scores Scully rarely mentioned the Angels?) He's done the same thing with other Dodger milestones..it's always the Los Angeles Dodger record this or that. If you listen to Scully long enough it's apparent that the Brooklyn Dodgers and their players have been long forgotten by him.

The story about Frieri and the tamales reminds me that I don't care for Scully's cornpone. lol

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy, I just don't like his style and I think he's over stayed his time. He really needed a broadcast partner (color guy) but he apparently thinks he didn't need anyone in the booth except for himself..he was wrong.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Um ok.  You hate the guy, it's obvious.

Obviously you missed the part where I said "I don't hate the guy" and you apparently also missed the part where I was asked to explain why I didn't care for Scully's style..so I replied to the question. Do you have a problem with that or is it you just have a problem with people that disagree with you?

So are you a Scully nutswinger? If you are I don't care. lol

Rant on bro.