• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

September Call-ups

totdprods

Who do you think gets bumped up?

I imagine Lincecum, Greg Mahle, A.J. Achter, and Ji-Man Choi are the obvious additions. Alex Meyer probably comes up as well, though his health status may still prevent that from happening until later in the month. 

Juan Graterol probably gets the call with Soto still out, Scioscia typically likes having three catchers up in September. Haven't heard an update on Geovany, so if he is expected back soon, then that may keep Graterol from getting a shot. 

Does Victor Alcantara get a cup of coffee this September? He's already on the 40-man. 

Others include Cody Ege and Rey Navarro. We will have the option of placing guys like Street and Bedrosian on the 60-day DL to open up a couple spots as well for some 40-man additions. Nate Smith likely gets added to the 40-man and a call up. Other options that could be added to the 40-man could be Andrew Bailey, Kyle Kendrick, Javy Guerra, Lucas Luetge, Chris Jones, and maybe even Troy Scribner. Johnny Giavotella and Todd Cunningham could return as well. Sherman Johnson and Cal Towey are probably long-shots, but could be within reason.

Unless the minor league player is going to get playing time why overcrowd the dugout with needless bodies? As has been mentioned many times this year our minor-league system doesn't have many quality major league ready players. In most cases players shouldn't be here until they are ready. Why bring up a player if he is only going to be used as a pinch runner, or be a replacement fielder for an inning or two, or even a relief pitcher who is brought in to the game to face just one batter a week? I think it would be much more beneficial if management waited until spring training to evaluate these types of players. Then these players would have  sufficient time to show off their particular set of skills.

I know there are a handful of players that the organization would like to take a look at, and that's to be expected. These players all deserve a chance to show off their skills and I hope they all do well. So, don't get me wrong, I'm not against September call ups. I just don't want to see too many players brought up needlessly.

Even if they get all these call ups. Mike S isn't one to just play a guy for the rest of the year people will get random pinch hit spots and random spot starts here and there but he really isn't going to start someone over the other people to get an eye in the future. He doesn't believe in the future he believes in winning games now for the detriment of the long term future

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Even if they get all these call ups. Mike S isn't one to just play a guy for the rest of the year people will get random pinch hit spots and random spot starts here and there but he really isn't going to start someone over the other people to get an eye in the future. He doesn't believe in the future he believes in winning games now for the detriment of the long term future

yes.  I have heard him say this exact thing on many occasion.....except in English.  

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think we'll bring up Achter, Choi, Ege, Graterol, and perhaps a couple of others.  but it'll be guys on the 40man so they won't be adding Smith etc.  

Hm, don't think Nate will get a little audition? I think he will. I believe we are at 39 currently so there's a spot, and if they move Street or Bedrosian to the 60-day it'll open up another spot or two.

14 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

Calling up minor leaguers whether they play or not allows them to experience life in "the show."

This analogy just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe a rule should be made so that all major league teams would be allowed to bring up one minor league player every week so they can just sit in the dugout and experience 'the show'.

This is also the first September we've had in a long time where we were out of contention before the month started, so it'll be interesting to see how Scioscia handles it. Even though we don't have many 'prospects' in need of experience, there should be plenty of playing time available, especially on the pitching staff, but also LF.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Andrew Bailey intrigues me the most.   Is he starting to get back towards where he was several years back?

At a glance, he was pretty awful with the Phils in the bigs this year. Over a substantial period of time too. His line in SLC is solid though. I imagine with how young our pen is with Smith and Salas now gone, having another vet like Bailey in there next season would be worth it if he is producing. Giving him some innings and an audition now may pave the way for that.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Hm, don't think Nate will get a little audition? I think he will. I believe we are at 39 currently so there's a spot, and if they move Street or Bedrosian to the 60-day it'll open up another spot or two.

thought about that but I just don't see them starting his clock as of right now.  plus, he'll have pitched about 155 innings by the time the bees season is over.  up about 20 innings from the previous year which was 20 more than his 2014.  I think they're gonna shut him down.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a preview, but I just don't think it happens.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

thought about that but I just don't see them starting his clock as of right now.  plus, he'll have pitched about 155 innings by the time the bees season is over.  up about 20 innings from the previous year which was 20 more than his 2014.  I think they're gonna shut him down.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a preview, but I just don't think it happens.  

I can see the innings being a concern. I don't think him picking up a month would do much for his clock though. Don't think it would be a significant enough amount of time. Also don't think he is that significant of a prospect to worry about service time.

I can see them doing what they did with Shoe a few years back - he came up and pitched final game of the year, added just a few days before that. He could stay warm in Arizona during September, then get added a week before season is over and pick up a start. Would add basically no time to his clock. 

6 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Probably not.....but he might still be a useful part....he's not on the 40 man though.....

He isn't, but we have one open spot. It sounds like Nate Smith will be coming up, so he'd use that spot, but Street or Bedrosian or both could be transferred to the 60-day and that would open room up on the roster too. 

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

:yawn:

22 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He isn't, but we have one open spot. It sounds like Nate Smith will be coming up, so he'd use that spot, but Street or Bedrosian or both could be transferred to the 60-day and that would open room up on the roster too. 

Wonder why Navarro is on the 40 man? Has he been hurt?

http://m.angels.mlb.com/roster/40-man/