• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ricky Freakin Nolasco

Docwaukee

'that's not why we made the trade" (i.e. Nolasco under contract for 2017 --)

okay, maybe not -- but we traded Santiago -- who when we dealt him was coming off some pretty good quality starts and as mentioned in a prior post -- we've seen Santiago's 'Hyde and Jeckel' act during his entire time with is -- so we dealt Santiago at a point when his value as at its highest and, if I recall correctly, his contract is up this season -- so either we deal him or pretty much let him go and get nothing in return -- particularly if we non-tender him -- which would have been very likely.

So we get journeyman starter Nolasco who is signed through 2017, no great shakes but can have a real decent start sprinkled in there once in a while and does tend to eat innings.

we're really not going anywhere next season and need a number 4/5 rotation guy to eat innings and fill that spot. Nolasco should be able to meet those relatively low expectations at a decent price tag.

I thought that was why we traded Santiago for an otherwise sort of like-kind starter.

Perhaps I am missing something here.

That being said, Santiago pitched well for us during his time here and, for the most part, exceeded expectations. Remember he was obtained / signed from the White Sox as a swing man type starter/ relief pen guy here -- he established himself as a serviceable starter for most of his time here -- did fairly well over all but was largely inconsistent as a starter. He exceeded overall expectations from the signing/ deal but did not meet the higher expectations he set when he couldn't keep up the serviceable level of starting pitching he seemed to have achieved and was actually out of the rotation for a spell before the arm injuries plagued the Halos rotation......... 

well -- hangin n wangin -- got a point there.

Santiago has pitched what? 6  years or so in MLB?  Pretty much half of that as back of the rotation guy and half as a pen guy -long relief and earlier inning guy (6th/ 7th inning). Se the mop up guy or pre-set up guy.

now take a guy like Santiago -- pretty much a sub ,500 pitcher most of his career -- makes what? $8 million a year?

compare his career earnings with that of someone like Bob Gibson ---I think even with an adjustment for inflation, Santiago probably out-earned HOF'er Gibson, one of the best ever int the game in career earnings...........