• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Most Valuable Player American League

44 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ruined his career?  I'd like to put this up for worst post of the year.  

Yeah man. After this season, the angels will avg about 83 wins per season since he came up. Barely average. 

Couple that with the fact the next 2 seasons look incredibly bleak...you are talking probably 7 seasons in with one mvp  award and probably just the one playoff appearance.

I will gladly accept the post of the year award though. Wait till I give my acceptance speech. 

I thought Trout should have won ROY and MVP first year. I still think if he had gotten that one more SB -- that would have given him 50 -- he probably would have won the MVP -- hard to say.

All this talk reminds me of the couple of years when Steve Carlton was on terrible Phlladelphia Phillies teams -- I think he won the Cy Young Award one year with about 27 wins in year when the Phlillies as a team may have won 55 games all season.

only possible knock on Trout (other than the fact he's playing on a lousy team record wise this season -- obviously not his fault) is his hit totals.

He has 139 hits this season so far, he has never reached he magic number plateau of 200 hits in a season - he has 883 hits in his career so far.

Now, a major reason for this -- and he had 190 hits his first full season with the Halos -- is that he is constantly being pitched around.

the year he had 190 hits, he was walked a league leading 110 times.  Each season after that his walk totals were 83, 92. 90 -- it's tough to get 200 hits when they won't pitch to you.

Meanwhile a guy like Altuve is putting up early career hit totals like one of the best hit guys of all time (but don't ask Pete Rose that question) Ichiro -- if you look at Ichiro's season by season hit totals -- it's really impressive -- something like 10 straight years of 200 hit seasons.........amazing. If Altuve can keep his hit production at current levels, he could the 'hit leader' for the current generation of MLB players.

Garrett Anderson was just inducted into the Halos HOF -- in his time playing with the Halos -- he was a consistent hit producer and was regularly among the league leaders........for a fair portion of his career if you were to check which MLB player led MLB 'hits' for the past FIVE years, two names that would invariably come up would be Derek Jeter and Garret Anderson -- much of this time was pre-Ichirio -- but once Ichiro arrived on the scene he  zoomed up to the too of that list very quickly.

Without considering a team's win/loss record, Altuve is my front runner. A few incredible stats:

- The next closest guy on his team for BA is Correa at .276. Altuve is 83 points higher. Then next closes guys are batting .261 and .260.

- He has almost 50 more hits than the next guy on his team.

- On the road he is batting .411. That is insane.

3 hours ago, DoubleOffTheWall said:

If trout were on a competent organization, he would be in line for probably his 3rd mvp. He would pretty much be on a Jordan trajectory. Instead, he will still just have the 1. The angels ruined his career. 

.....jordan played several years as the number 1 guy in basketball before he got a ring. And he didnt win one until the showtime lakers and celtics got old and went away

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

you must not be familiar with the beginning of Jordan's career.  

His first three years, the bulls had losing records.  He won his first MVP in his fourth full season and didn't win it again until his 7th season when the bulls won the championship.  

Also, trying to compare the impact of one baseball player on their team relative to a basketball player for theirs is apples to oranges.  

Agreed, I was about to bring that up.  The Bulls weren't that good until he got help.  I think it was the 1988 draft where the Bulls has three lottery picks and the fortunes of the Bulls and Jordan changed.

15 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Higher AVG, more HRs, more RBI, better SLG, MUCH lower K rate. 

I don't think it's a stretch to say Betts has had a better year than Trout.

Lower OPS, OBP, WRC+, wOBA, WAR, and he plays half his games at Midget Park. Another 30 or so at NY, TOR, and Baltimore.

He'll finish higher in the MVP voting, but he definitely hasn't had a better year. 

But he's been outstanding and I'd love to have him.

5 hours ago, DoubleOffTheWall said:

If trout were on a competent organization, he would be in line for probably his 3rd mvp. He would pretty much be on a Jordan trajectory. Instead, he will still just have the 1. The angels ruined his career. 

Willie May's only went to the post season 5 times in his 22 year career. The giants ruined him. 

7 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

A-rod was also the best player those years. Trout is the 3rd best this year.

I know WAR isn't excepted by every one as the one true measure of the value of a player, but if you look at the top players in terms of WAR over the years it does a pretty good job of picking the cream of the crop.

Anyway Trout is far and a way ahead of every other player in the league in regards to WAR. Trout is leading the league in OBP and is neck and neck with Altuve in every category with the exception of BA.

I don't think he wins it either but he is having another great season.

40 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If you can't put the team on your back and get better than 5th in a shit division then you don't deserve an MVP. 

The Angels lost their top 3 starting pitchers early in the season, leaving Shoemaker and Weaver to top the rotation. Trout is only 1 man and he can't pitch, play 2B, LF and CF. As far as this being a shit division goes, the Rangers have the best record in the entire league and the western division has 3 teams in the top 8.

Please don't say this was sarcasm, sarcasm just loses something when written and not heard.

33 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

The Angels lost their top 3 starting pitchers early in the season, leaving Shoemaker and Weaver to top the rotation. Trout is only 1 man and he can't pitch, play 2B, LF and CF. As far as this being a shit division goes, the Rangers have the best record in the entire league and the western division has 3 teams in the top 8.

Please don't say this was sarcasm, sarcasm just loses something when written and not heard.

The top 3 starting pitching wasn't that great anyway. Yes while baseball is more than 1 position. He is the best player in baseball but he isn't even sniffing the playoffs and he isn't having the best year 

Just now, Stradling said:

This is an awful opinion.  Ok so which MVP candidate takes the Angels Out of the cellar?  

The highest WAR player can't take them out of celler but I'm sure Mookie Betts could, right...Altuve with almost the same WAR...Ortiz and his awesome DHness...if only Trout could give you what these guys would if they were to replace him

Or, it's in asinine position to take

Something like that

You guys seem to be happy with watching a great player even if the team doesnt end up winning rings.  

Alot of those old guys didnt play in an era where free agency worked like it does now. Teams can spend and build up in so many ways, from FA to drafting to international scouting in asia latin america shit even australia. Thats why, if Trout doesnt win anything, alot of it has to be on the franchise. There are multiple ways to improve - this org has failed in all of them.