• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Classic Baseball Photos

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Like the Coliseum, only RF is also deep there.

Irony is, home plate at the Polo Grounds could have been moved back (lots of foul ground behind it) to create deeper dimensions down each line (10-15 feet further anyway).

My father used to go see both the NY baseball and NY football Giants at the Polo Grounds. He said it was a better football stadium than it was for baseball, in spite of it starting out as a baseball stadium.

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Like the Coliseum, only RF is also deep there.

Irony is, home plate at the Polo Grounds could have been moved back (lots of foul ground behind it) to create deeper dimensions down each line (10-15 feet further anyway).

Strange that it would be almost 200 feet further in the power alleys than it was down the lines.

1 hour ago, NJHalo said:

^^^^^

JFK Stadium, Philadelphia

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Thanks, has to be from the 20s or 30s?

Looks like the foul lines are no further out than 200 ft.

Wow, JFK already had a stadium named after him when he was just a child?

On 9/29/2016 at 11:31 AM, fan_since79 said:

62 years ago today, at the Polo Grounds...

14494687_637220206443897_590571791223376

I was curious as to what the monument is in front of the 483 Ft. sign is, so I looked it up. It is a monument to Eddie Grant, an infielder who played for the Philadelphia Nationals, Cincinnati Reds and New York Giants. He was a Captain in the U. S, Army Infantry killed during World War I.

Eddie Grant Memorial Plaque

Those who are around my age may remember when the monuments in Monument Park at Yankee Stadium (plus two flagpole bases) were in the field of play in center field, and it was 463 feet to the wall in dead center. If a ball rolled into or past the monuments, you could get some really strange bounces.

CE3K_rxUMAAL823.jpg:large

On September 29, 2016 at 1:31 PM, fan_since79 said:

"Well, all right, let's all take a deep breath as we go to the most dramatic ninth inning in the history of baseball. I'm going to sit back, light up, and hope I don't chew the cigarette to pieces."

- Vin Scully calling Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series.

When I read "sit back, light up" I thought it was somebody calling a Royals game.