• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Classic Baseball Photos

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The recent Dodgers elimination game at home there were still plenty of seats available. I don't think a single seat went unsold during the 2002 playoffs. 

I spent a lot of time online with multiple browsers open and my GF did the same from work. We spent a lot of money but we never regretted it.

Dodgers have been in the playoffs 4 strait seasons now, and the latrine is NOT easy to get into and out of. Can't blame anyone who doesn't want to go through that. I wouldn't either. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The recent Dodgers elimination game at home there were still plenty of seats available. I don't think a single seat went unsold during the 2002 playoffs. 

I will be happy to S on the Dodgers, but was not the game time announced literally 14 hours before first pitch?

People do have lives - it is insane the steps that MLB goes to bend over backwards for their tv partners.

6 hours ago, makepeac said:

George was my favorite Bio teacher at THS when I attended 73-77. That's his Topps card I use as my avatar since he passed a few years back.  I played ball at THS but George no longer coached by then (wish he had). I had his card and knew who he was and showed it to him one day after class. Cool guy, great man.

AO what year did you graduate? 

1974, so we are 3 years apart it seems.

I had him for a PE class my freshman year (70-71).

It was before you arrived at THS, but there was also a George Allen who was the football coach there during my freshman/soph years.   Of course not THAT George Allen, although the famous one did coach at my alma mater LB State in 1990.

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Exactly 90 seconds before this photo was taken, Mike Scioscia was giving AK the bunt signal.
I was 150 feet from where this pic was taken.  What a day.

Nobody ever tell me that the Bottenfield-AK-Edmonds trade was a disaster.  One player in the 60 year history of the franchise has been ALCS MVP: Adam Kennedy

I was also there, and remember the two failed bunts by AK before he launched his 3rd HR, and off of a real tough LHP in Santana to boot.

I remember thinking that it would be a double based on the trajectory, but it kept carrying.

He actually finished in the top 10 in AL batting in 2002.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

1974, so we are 3 years apart it seems.

I had him for a PE class my freshman year (70-71).

It was before you arrived at THS, but there was also a George Allen who was the football coach there during my freshman/soph years.   Of course not THAT George Allen, although the famous one did coach at my alma mater LB State in 1990.

So apparently AO and I were on the same THS campus for one year along with Rod Carew's wife Rhonda Fedden Carew who back then was a TIller cheerleader a year ahead of me.

Six degrees of Angelswin/Kevin Bacon speaking.

20 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

I spent a lot of time online with multiple browsers open and my GF did the same from work. We spent a lot of money but we never regretted it.

Dodgers have been in the playoffs 4 strait seasons now, and the latrine is NOT easy to get into and out of. Can't blame anyone who doesn't want to go through that. I wouldn't either. 

The circular parking setup and two lane Scott Road on the west are all one needs to know about the "ease" of getting in and out of the Latrine.   Barf

Jackie-Mitchell-631.jpg__800x600_q85_cro

Days after Jackie Mitchell (center) struck out Yankee superstars (from left) Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth, the duo watched the female phenom demonstrate her fastball during spring training in Chattanooga, Tennessee, on April 4, 1931. (Getty Images)

Read more:

6e5526d8609ac07e4777a2453193f03c.jpg

Whiskey, Cigarettes, Beer, Stockings... and "Loose Fitting" Underwear.

09739735f4963e8221c6ec64a94245f1.jpg

Crowds gather for the World Series of 1912. The game placed the Boston Red Sox against the New York Giants. Boston won four games to three with one tie. 

This dramatic series showcased great pitching from Giant Christy Mathewson and from Boston fireballer Smoky Joe Wood. Wood won two of his three starts and pitched in relief in the final game. In the deciding game, Boston rallied for two runs in the tenth inning thanks to two costly Giants fielding misplays.

Nearly all of the games were close. Four games in this Series were decided by one run. A fifth ended in a tie. A sixth was decided by two runs. Game 7 was the only one with a margin greater than three runs. Two games, including the decisive Game 8, went to extra innings. In Games 1 and 3, the losing team had the tying and winning runs on base when the game ended.

This was one of only four World Series to go to eight games, and the only best-of-seven Series to do so. While the 1912 Series was extended to eight games due to a tie game being called on account of darkness, the 1903, 1919, and 1921 World Series were all best-of-nine affairs that happened to run eight games.

Part of the crowd at the Polo Grounds on the last day of the 1908 season, October 8th. This was a makeup game between the Cubs and Giants that would decide the National League pennant. The game that was being made up (from September 21st) had ended in a 1-1 tie, due to Fred Merkle's baserunning blunder. The Cubs beat the Giants 4-2 and took the pennant by one game, then won the World Series.

Cubs-Giants-polo-grounds-1908-playoff.jp

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

These were all day games and women had stuff to do during the day back then.

As late as 1958 my Mom was washing clothes with one of those old wringer washers, then hanging them on a clothesline. It took her most of the morning to do the laundry. I remember helping her (actually, I mostly just watched and got in her way).

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

As late as 1958 my Mom was washing clothes with one of those old wringer washers, then hanging them on a clothesline. It took her most of the morning to do the laundry. I remember helping her (actually, I mostly just watched and got in her way).

We hung our wash to dry as late as the middle 60's. Just about every house in the neighborhood had a clothesline in the back yard. It was around that time our household got its first clothes dryer. After hanging to dry many things needed to be ironed because they would wrinkle while on the line. It took a long time for our moms to do laundry back in the day.