• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Classic Baseball Photos

This thread has been a really enjoyable one for me. It has also led to a lot of forgotten memories being brought out. Earlier today, I posted a photo of a PCL baseball card of Dixie Carroll, the short-time major leaguer in my story about Walter Johnson. I couldn't have been more than five or six years old when I heard that story, but because my father and I related strongly through baseball, it has stuck with me over the years. Before today, I didn't know that the card existed. I bought it just for the sentimental value.

I sent a scan of the card to Carroll's granddaughter, who also did not know that it existed. She wants to buy the card (I will probably send it as a gift to the family instead). She mentioned during the conversation that she has two bats that her grandfather had during his time with the Braves, engraved with his name. She is sending one to me because "I have two, and I don't need both." For some reason the top image of the barrel is inverted, but you will get the idea.

14274533_10207051833671050_1978668716_o.

14249362_10207051835951107_1946296525_n.

She dropped in another story that I had not heard, but it was in her grandfather's colorful style. About Babe Ruth, he said that the Bambino was "a great and talented player, but a first rate asshole." She said that he wasn't bothered by his wife's admonishment for using the last descriptor in front of the children.

6 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

This thread has been a really enjoyable one for me. It has also led to a lot of forgotten memories being brought out. Earlier today, I posted a photo of a PCL baseball card of Dixie Carroll, the short-time major leaguer in my story about Walter Johnson. I couldn't have been more than five or six years old when I heard that story, but because my father and I related strongly through baseball, it has stuck with me over the years. Before today, I didn't know that the card existed. I bought it just for the sentimental value.

I sent a scan of the card to Carroll's granddaughter, who also did not know that it existed. She wants to buy the card (I will probably send it as a gift to the family instead). She mentioned during the conversation that she has two bats that her grandfather had during his time with the Braves, engraved with his name. She is sending one to me because "I have two, and I don't need both." For some reason the top image of the barrel is inverted, but you will get the idea.

14274533_10207051833671050_1978668716_o.

14249362_10207051835951107_1946296525_n.

She dropped in another story that I had not heard, but it was in her grandfather's colorful style. About Babe Ruth, he said that the Bambino was "a great and talented player, but a first rate asshole." She said that he wasn't bothered by his wife's admonishment for using the last descriptor in front of the children.

Damn, cool update! Nice trade for a card. 

That's Rogers Hornsby tagging out Ruth in the photo above. Cardinals won Game 7, 3-2.

The 39-year old Grover Alexander was on the mound for St. Louis. He came into the game in the 7th inning with the bases loaded and two outs and struck out Tony Lazzeri, then finished the 8th and 9th innings for the Save. He had pitched a complete game in winning Game 6 the day before, and also won Game 2 in another complete game effort.

Bill Dinneen was the umpire who made the call on Ruth. Dinneen is the only person in MLB history who umpired a no-hitter and also pitched one.

22 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

That's Rogers Hornsby tagging out Ruth in the photo above. Cardinals won Game 7, 3-2.

The 39-year old Grover Alexander was on the mound for St. Louis. He came into the game in the 7th inning with the bases loaded and two outs and struck out Tony Lazzeri, then finished the 8th and 9th innings for the Save. He had pitched a complete game in winning Game 6 the day before, and also won Game 2 in another complete game effort.

Bill Dinneen was the umpire who made the call on Ruth. Dinneen is the only person in MLB history who umpired a no-hitter and also pitched one.

Alexander had also been overcoming alcoholism before that 1926 WS title season.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Before my time but am a fan. Dude was a beast, and a good guy outside of baseball.

I first saw Clemente play in person at the Latrine in the 1966 season.

The guy had an absolute cannon for an arm, and accuracy.   If he played in a park other than Forbes Field, who knows how many more HRs he would have hit.

He could hit to all fields and well.

Tragic, and indicative of his humanitarian nature, to pass away in a place crash while helping Nicaragua to recover after a serious earthquake.  

I always remember Vlad being compared to clemente, especially arm wise. That's what originally peaked my interest. 

You older posters on here are lucky if you got to see "the golden era". Not sure if anyone on here is old enough to have seen the 40s, but I'm sure some of you caught at least the last half of the 50s and then the 60s. Would love to have been able to. The closest I can think of to compare would be (for me) being old enough to have seen 80s basketball, when everything came of age.

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I always remember Vlad being compared to clemente, especially arm wise. That's what originally peaked my interest. 

You older posters on here are lucky if you got to see "the golden era". Not sure if anyone on here is old enough to have seen the 40s, but I'm sure some of you caught at least the last half of the 50s and then the 60s. Would love to have been able to. The closest I can think of to compare would be (for me) being old enough to have seen 80s basketball, when everything came of age.

My earliest recollection of baseball is 1963, when my father took me to a spring training game at Wolfson Park in Jacksonville between the Phillies and the Cardinals. My father was a huge Cardinals fan and Stan Musial was his favorite player. I got to see Musial play live (this was his last season in the majors). I still have the 1963 Jacksonville Suns program with his autograph on it. We caught him outside the park as the Cardinals were boarding their bus.

I went to my first baseball game in 1961 at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia. I was 7 years old. That was the year the Phillies lost 23 games in a row. They were dreadful. But I was seven and had no idea how bad they were.

They broke my heart in 1964, then finally won the Series in 1980, but I was in California by that time and an Angels fan.