• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 8/27 Angels @ Tigers: Cowart at 2B

Wonder if they may piggyback Oberholtzer and Chacin together on another start. 

Back when we experimented with Rasmus for a few starts, I wondered if an effective new way to fill a rotation spot would be pitching a righty and lefty reliever together for 2-3 innings a piece, depending on things like park factor/opposition lineup. Doing so would effectively negate any platoon advantages the other team had, and limit each of the two 'starters' to facing the lineup only once.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

That was sweet wasnt it?

I don't really remember, in my 30 years, seeing anyone play shortstop like he does. Not just the plays he makes, but just overall...the way he interacts on the field, moves, finds his place into every play. The range and instincts are out of this world.

He's throwing runners out unconventionally, trying to pickoff guys going back to bags. It's uncanny. His presence alone has to make baserunners feel as uneasy on the paths as a really good catcher or pick-off pitcher.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Also, Cowart looks fine at second so far.

Needs to play either 3b or 2b every inning from here on out....don't need to see Petit or Pennington if it puts Cowart on the bench....Let's see what he can do Sosh....

Just now, DMVol said:

Needs to play either 3b or 2b every inning from here on out....don't need to see Petit or Pennington if it puts Cowart on the bench....Let's see what he can do Sosh....

I'd give him some innings at first and even left as well. Wouldn't even mind seeing him get a start or two at shortstop in late September. Working the hit out of the 10-pitch at-bat and taking the extra base helping his case as well. He doesn't look overmatched or nervous.

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wonder if they may piggyback Oberholtzer and Chacin together on another start. 

Back when we experimented with Rasmus for a few starts, I wondered if an effective new way to fill a rotation spot would be pitching a righty and lefty reliever together for 2-3 innings a piece, depending on things like park factor/opposition lineup. Doing so would effectively negate any platoon advantages the other team had, and limit each of the two 'starters' to facing the lineup only once.

You would hope Oberholtzer can up his pitch count with each start...if he's effective and gets the chance....

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

You would hope Oberholtzer can up his pitches with each start....

Yeah, I just see that format for one, maybe two more starts. 

Bigger picture, just sort of wondered trying a configuration like that would be an interesting way of making the most of two 'long-relief' type pitchers - not specifically Obie/Chacin.

I could see them trying something similar with Meyer if he pitches this September. I imagine they'll keep him on a tight pitch count.

As I said, tip of the cap to Cowart today. Today. He's having a very nice day. I'm not projecting him as the second coming of Troy Glaus. Being 20 games under .500 and waaaay out of the division and WC races may give the Angels an opportunity to put the man out there and see if he can consistently hit for the final 32 games..

Love that snow cone play.