• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 8/27 Angels @ Tigers: Cowart at 2B

I'm expecting to see Cowart get a lot of time at second once Escobar returns. Don't think Eppler is going to be in a hurry to unload Yunel this offseason. Will he be available and shopped around? Sure, but unless the return is high, I think Billy will hang onto him. He's not going to trade him just because Cowart can play third. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the Angels are giving Pennington a lot of playing time right now because they're shopping him to contenders as a vet UT IF for the stretch run and playoffs - Cliff would be an asset on several teams in that role. 

If Cliff is traded, I think the likeliest scenario is Cowart/Petit splitting time at second and UT IF next season. Cowart's bat can be 'hidden' at second and he can get his reps in the bigs without being thrust into starting 3B with more pressure. Once Escobar is finally traded at the deadline, Cowart slides into the position for the rest of the year.

48 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm expecting to see Cowart get a lot of time at second once Escobar returns. Don't think Eppler is going to be in a hurry to unload Yunel this offseason. Will he be available and shopped around? Sure, but unless the return is high, I think Billy will hang onto him. He's not going to trade him just because Cowart can play third. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the Angels are giving Pennington a lot of playing time right now because they're shopping him to contenders as a vet UT IF for the stretch run and playoffs - Cliff would be an asset on several teams in that role. 

If Cliff is traded, I think the likeliest scenario is Cowart/Petit splitting time at second and UT IF next season. Cowart's bat can be 'hidden' at second and he can get his reps in the bigs without being thrust into starting 3B with more pressure. Once Escobar is finally traded at the deadline, Cowart slides into the position for the rest of the year.

Pennington is 9 for 55 with 22 strikeouts since coming off of the DL.  If they are showcasing him for a trade, he's sure not doing much to help himself.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

It would be nice if he could play 2B, although doesn't he have a great arm? Seems wasted.

Man, is that a weak #5-9.

Versatility is never a bad thing, I guess. But when most of his value is drawn from the fact he plays 3B really really well, it seems he should play 3B if he is going to play.

29 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Cron, 5-24 since returning, all singles, 2 RBI

.208 avg, .448 OPS.

I have a feeling he's going to kick it in gear tonight.

Wasn't Cron like 0-for-12 after he returned? And 5 for 12 since?

I didn't look it up but seem to recall he had been 0-for-12 when he got a hit that Victor commented on.

23 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Versatility is never a bad thing, I guess. But when most of his value is drawn from the fact he plays 3B really really well, it seems he should play 3B if he is going to play.

Unfortunately, he hasn't hit consistently enough to be what you'd like at 3b....really like seeing Marte get a start...he's played well enough to get AB's down the stretch, maybe in LF...not much impressed with Buss...or Cunningham...or Nava...or Robinson...

21 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

The question is whether his bat will play at the major league level, and as of right now, that weakness can be hidden at second as we haven't had much production there offensively the past two years. Escobar and Marte should both deliver more offense at third for time being. Cowart will probably be better defensively at second than Gia was too.

:5252:

GO ANGELS!!! Go Brett Oberholtzer!!! (Had to read that spelling twice.)

Show the Skip how good you are, Obie! Start a new 2-game (let's not get carried away) winning streak!!

You have 42 MLB starts in 74 appearances with a 4.18 ERA over 310 innings. At age 27, you are what you are. So don't blow it.

Get at least 5 runs Albert, Mike, CJ and Kole! Make your at-bats at least somewhat interesting.

Hope the hitless wonders batting behind Simba can make some contact today.

FWIW: Game is on Fox Sports 1, not FSW.

31 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Wasn't Cron like 0-for-12 after he returned? And 5 for 12 since?

I didn't look it up but seem to recall he had been 0-for-12 when he got a hit that Victor commented on.

Close enough. 4-12. Okay, maybe he's already starting to regain his hitting form. I certainly hope so.

32 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Unfortunately, he hasn't hit consistently enough to be what you'd like at 3b....really like seeing Marte get a start...he's played well enough to get AB's down the stretch, maybe in LF...not much impressed with Buss...or Cunningham...or Nava...or Robinson...

I'm not sure I agree. It's hard to project his glove given minor league numbers are our only significant sample size but I could easily see him being a +10 defender at 3B over a full season. That means, even with a -10 wRAA (which is pretty bad), he would still be an average major league player or worth 2 WAR.

23 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Just heard Terry recapping today's games. Baby Bomber Gary Sanchez has played 23 games and hit 11 home runs. How many will he add over the next 33 or so games? I wonder if he'll break Bonds' career record by 2022.

He's a catcher who can rake, too.

We haven't had one of those since....well, when was it??