• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Earth sized planet found in nearby star system

22 minutes ago, cezero said:

Definitely a more realistic goal. 

But that's still 135 million miles per hour. 

The fastest sustained speed for anything we've ever launched is about 36,000 miles per hour. So about 1/50,000th of 20% of the speed of light. 

In 2018, NASA is launching a probe that will get up to about 450,000 mph, but only for a short period because of gravity assist from the sun. 

The numbers we're talking about are so crazy. I love to go over them with my classes at the beginning of the year. All of this is about the nearest star to the sun, and the next nearest after that is much, much further away from Proxima Centauri than we are from Proxima Centauri. And there are over 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone, and 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe. 

What an awful waste of space

On 8/26/2016 at 4:49 PM, cezero said:

The fastest sustained speed for anything we've ever launched is about 36,000 miles per hour. So about 1/50,000th of 20% of the speed of light. 

In 2018, NASA is launching a probe that will get up to about 450,000 mph, but only for a short period because of gravity assist from the sun. 

The numbers we're talking about are so crazy. I love to go over them with my classes at the beginning of the year. All of this is about the nearest star to the sun, and the next nearest after that is much, much further away from Proxima Centauri than we are from Proxima Centauri. And there are over 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone, and 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe. 

On 8/26/2016 at 3:49 PM, cezero said:

Here's a cool interactive site, "The Scale of the Universe".

Each circle is ten times larger (or smaller) than the next, depending on if you're going from small to large, or vice versa.

Smallest is 10 to the minus 35th power in meters, and the largest is 10 to the 27th power. I don't know how to do superscript on HTML, so I'll leave it at that. Human beings are in the 1-10 meter circle. I used the right-and-left scroll keys on my Apple to move through the scale. I think Proxima Centauri is in there someplace.

http://scaleofuniverse.com/