• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Roasted Hatch Chiles

Albertson's has hatch chilis...$1.59/pound. Picked up 5 pounds yesterday and am getting ready to fire up the grill to roast them/freeze them...I'm thinking chili/cheese enchiladas might be in order this weekend.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-roast-and-freeze-green-chiles-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193168

woooohoooo.

might be...mine had a nice kick to it...thinking I'm going to go back and get another 10lbs or so. 

I didn't put mine in the oven, I threw mine directly on the grill (around 450 or so) in batches, 4-5 minutes per side. From their straight into a ziplock for 20-30 minutes. Only about 8-10 chilis per gallon ziplock so the bag wasn't too full.

Tis the season...

Every grocery store and farm here in Albuquerque (even the Walmarts) are selling boxes of Hatch chile (Note: they are chile with an e. chili with an i is that red soupish thing the next state over but enough about that slop) and are roasting them in these.

http://www.centralmarket.com/getattachment/b888e0b3-4a5c-4e48-82c4-013c126384ed/Hatch-Chile-Festival.aspx

Typically the boxes are about $15 to $20 and the roasting is included. The smell of 4 to 5 roasters going at the same time is incredible. Peel the skins off, place in baggies, and then most of them go in the freezer. And yes, chiles go into pretty much everything here.  Down in hatch I had a strawberry chile milkshake to go with my green chile cheeseburger.

Hatches are very flavorful and have a nice kick but IMO aren't as spicy as even a jalapeno. It's possible the oven could change the heat, especially since you removed the seeds, I leave mine in. But you may also have had different heat expectations or tolerance.

Also picking good chiles helps. 

10 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Hatches are very flavorful and have a nice kick but IMO aren't as spicy as even a jalapeno. It's possible the oven could change the heat, especially since you removed the seeds, I leave mine in. But you may also have had different heat expectations or tolerance.

Also picking good chiles helps. 

Hatch chiles are all over the place heat wise. From just 500 Scovilles to 8-10K.  So from barely hotter than a bell pepper to roughly equivalent to a jalapeno.

9 hours ago, notherhalo said:

I bought a lot, put them in the oven for 5 mins, each side, peeled, removed seeds and....

tastes like a cooked bell pepper, not spicy at all, very little flavor

Did I do something wrong or possibly get a dud batch?

was thinking a little more about this. Did you peel them under running water? The instructions I followed said to make sure you did NOT peel them/seed them under running water....washes off the oils and roasting flavor. Makes it tougher to get rid of some of the seeds, and I would definitely make sure I used gloves because of all the oil...but I certainly had more of a roasted flavor than I previously did.

Here's the recipe I tried last night...used 2 cups (16 or so) freshly roasted hatch chiles, skipped the Jalapeno, the batch of chiles I had was hot enough. I also lightly floured the pork pieces and browned them first, removed them and then sauteed the onions. I didn't add additional flour, enough flour was on the pork to thicken up the stew. I also didn't bother to cover it, I added 2 cups of broth and then let it simmer down.

I'd give it a B. Thickened up nicely but probably could have used some additional spices (maybe a combination of cumin, coriander, and oregano) and I'd probably serve it with a touch of lime next time (which will be for lunch today!).

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (I used 1 small onion)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (I used 2 garlic cloves)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cup peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 2 cups roasted, peeled and chopped fresh green chilies or 2 7-ounce cans green chilies, drained and chopped (I used 8 Hatch chiles that I roasted and skinned – 4 regular and 4 hot)
  • 1 fresh jalapeno chopped (I omitted this for fear of making it too hot for the family)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I used ¾ teaspoon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I used a few grinds of the pepper mill)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup chicken or beef broth (I used chicken broth)

Instructions

1. Heat olive oil in 4-quart Dutch oven with cover. Add pork and cook until lightly browned. Add onion and garlic and stir with meat. Add flour and stir 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, green chiles, jalapeno (if using), salt, pepper and sugar. Mix to incorporate. Add broth. Lower heat. Cover pot and simmer for 1- 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
  2. Serve with flour tortillas.

Okay technically not with fresh chile but...

Carne Adovada

Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 4 hr | Makes: 10 to 12 servings | Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:

• 6 to 8 pounds pork loin, cut into 2 to 3-inch cubes
• 1/2 cup New Mexico powder chile
• 1/2 cup New Mexico chile flakes
• 2 tablespoons oregano
• 2 tablespoons garlic salt
• 2 tablespoons cumin
• 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, crushed
• 2 tablespoons black pepper
• 2 Spanish onions, chopped
• 2 cups broth

Directions:

Put all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cook uncovered for 4 hours. Turn off heat and check for tenderness, but do not stir.