• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

So What's the Plan for 2017?

Docwaukee

I don't think there needs to be a 'deadline' placed on when Escobar is dealt. Have him be available this offseason and all of next year, and whenever someone calls up and offers the right price, take it. If he isn't dealt this offseason, it isn't the end of the world.

This offseason's FA class is loaded with Escobar-ish players in Turner, Prado, Walker, Valbuena, and Freese. He is either going to have little trade value, or a team in need will jump on him quickly to avoid getting into a bidding war for one of the FAs. 

I can see Gia being non-tendered this offseason, with Pennington or Petit taking his spot, the other taking the UT spot, and Cowart sliding up the depth chart into the first one up with injury.

I think just about the only real bright spots I'm looking forward to witnessing next year is...

1. Alex Meyer finally healthy and finally living up to his ability as a starting pitcher. 

2. The bullpen receiving a sudden influx of freakin fireballers like Key Middleton, Victor Alcantara, Eduardo Parades and Austin Adams.  Those guys along with Bedrock, Morin, Guerra and Valdez should be a filthy pen. 

11 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

It's not so much that Texas is that good as it is we are that bad. 

Angels are on par with the Rangers offensively right now without any resemblance of a left fielder who can hit.

The Rangers team ERA is currently at 4.3 vs Angels at 4.6 with the loss of Richards, Heaney, and Tropeano. Although, they've had their share of injuries. 

You're right the Rangers aren't as good as their record. Although, trading for Lucroy and getting Darvish back is key for them.

I believe with the right moves the Angels can compete with them/rest of the division next season. It's really not as bleak as most are projecting. 

46 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

It's not having it hard for him. It's being realistic.

Escobar is a terrible defender. Terrible. No other words to describe it.

He's a guy that hits for average that can get on base. Other than that, he offers little else.

You act as if being the best lead off hitter in the AL is no big deal. He ranks second next to Blackmon in baseball. 

The odds of being able to acquire enough talent to compete in 2017 are incredibly slim. I would only sign or trade for young talent. The chances of fielding a quality team in 2017-18 are not strong. There is a need for at least 4-5 decent pen arms 2-3 starters and of course the black hole in left field. You have to hope that some of the young pithers in the minors can help the pen. Trade Escobar, Street and all others except Trout, Calhoun, Bedrosian and maybe Simmons. The new scouting director needs to be effective in picking high upside prospects and for heaven's sake, hit the international market hard.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Jefry Marte is one to keep an eye on too. He started red hot, went ice cold, and has started turning things around. He's still young enough that he has some potential to tap into, and he should be factored into the Escobar/Cowart debate as well.

What about his defense though?

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What about his defense though?

What about his defense? It isn't that good, but neither is Escobar's. Freese wasn't that great either. If we replace Gia with a better defender next year, and I think that's likely, it neutralizes things a bit around the infield too.

All I'm saying is that Marte is young enough that if he can continue putting up a .750 OPS his future shouldn't be dismissed, even with his defensive limitations, especially if he can put in some work this offseason in LF and 3B. He has room to grow.

He's mashed lefties in the minors too (and an .841 OPS against them in around 85 MLB ABs) so a timeshare where him and Cowart split time would make sense too. Could model it off of Freese/McDonald, where Marte plays until the 6th and then Cowart jumps in.

A .250/.300/.450 line from Marte with 15-20 HRs is reasonable.

Question about Cowart. Is he eligible to be a minor league free agent at seasons end? He was drafted in 2010, and play rookie ball that summer. That would give him 6 seasons, but not sure how that timeline goes. If is is eligible, don't think he will stay with the Angels. 

Just now, greginpsca said:

Question about Cowart. Is he eligible to be a minor league free agent at seasons end? He was drafted in 2010, and play rookie ball that summer. That would give him 6 seasons, but not sure how that timeline goes. If is is eligible, don't think he will stay with the Angels. 

No, that only applies to folks not on the 40-man.