• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Heyman: Execs have no idea why Scioscia still employed

nate

On 8/18/2016 at 1:05 PM, California Cajun said:

Having said that, you can't blame Scioscia for this season.  You can blame him and Arte for Dipoto's leaving.  The GM must outrank the manager.   

Actually You should reward him for Dipoto's leaving. Dipoto is a terrible GM. He is a farm wrecker.

18 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Actually You should reward him for Dipoto's leaving. Dipoto is a terrible GM. He is a farm wrecker.

After seeing Eppler work you may be right.  With Dipoto I was thinking of chain of command issues and the front office either putting the GM in charge or changing GMs.

I'm pretty sure that at the time Arte gave him that ridiculous 50 million dollar guaranteed contract, the second highest dollar managerial contract in history was Torre's 19.2 million. So, he got about 2.5 times as much as a guy who had won 4 World Series and had to deal daily with the toughest media in the sports. Bochy just won 3 World Series and got an 18 million dollar contract. I'm pretty sure Maddon has the 2nd highest contract at 25 million. So, he's still double the 2nd highest contract ever 9 years later.

7 hours ago, gurn67 said:

I'm pretty sure that at the time Arte gave him that ridiculous 50 million dollar guaranteed contract, the second highest dollar managerial contract in history was Torre's 19.2 million. So, he got about 2.5 times as much as a guy who had won 4 World Series and had to deal daily with the toughest media in the sports. Bochy just won 3 World Series and got an 18 million dollar contract. I'm pretty sure Maddon has the 2nd highest contract at 25 million. So, he's still double the 2nd highest contract ever 9 years later.

So what's your point, other than you don't like Scioscia, and don't think he should have been given his contract?  You could have said that in one sentence.  Maddon makes more than Scioscia per year.  Do you feel that winning World Series should be the only criteria for managerial contracts?  You do realize that you could have the greatest manager in the world, and if the front office and owner are not supportive or competent, you won't win, right?  To get a top tier manager for the next 10 years, whether you use 10, 5 or 1 different managers in those ten years will likely cost you $50M or more.    Arte valued consistency, he didn't want to be changing every few years.  He had someone he trusted, and he has let him do his job.  The number of years you give in a managerial contract is a different issue than how much you pay him each year.  Some teams want to have the right to terminate every few years (I'm sure that's the case here if Arte or Scioscia wanted it to happen badly enough), and in Arte's case he wanted the same person in place.  Laying all the blame on Scioscia for no World Series in those 10 years is just not correct, until the Eppler era the front office was run like circus.  So, in a way, kudos to Arte for holding on to someone he trusted, and met the attributes and character of the job he wanted done in the long haul.

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/mlb-manager-contracts-salaries/

On 9/1/2017 at 9:04 AM, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Once again Scioscia has been handed the keys to a Lamborghini, my guess is he will do what he always does.lam.thumb.jpg.614be46edbabc4a2cd6fb2aa2073bd31.jpg

this is one of the best posts i've read here in a long, long time.

you know, because this team is just dripping with incredible talent, but the manager can't get out of their way.

4 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

I wish I had Artes money, but he isn't the brightest baseball owner.  The Angels free agent signings are a perfect example.  Then he gives the dumbest manager in baseball a ten year contract. Teams need luck to win a W.S. Scioscia has made so many postseason blunders,  he hasn't helped.

Wishing for someone else's money isn't the path to achievement, you need to make it happen on your own, you know kind of like a World Series or lots of other things in life.  I wouldn't exactly call either Arte or Scioscia dumb, but take your pick where you think they rank, that's your privilege.  Good luck with that achievement thing Bob.  One hint to get you started, you're not going to amass Arte's wealth level sitting on this message board pissing about Scioscia and Arte.

5 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

He's 100% right.  What exactly are you arguing?  That the postseason record is wrong and Scioscia is a good manager?  lol

the fallacy in the argument is that it's top heavy on the manager's decisions and that player talent/performance is significantly less important.

7 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

I wish I had Artes money, but he isn't the brightest baseball owner.  The Angels free agent signings are a perfect example.  Then he gives the dumbest manager in baseball a ten year contract. Teams need luck to win a W.S. Scioscia has made so many postseason blunders,  he hasn't helped.

Honestly, I believe that most of us initially liked the Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton signings, although I was concerned about the length of Pujols' deal. I'm not sure that even the biggest Scioscia critic here would call him the dumbest manager in baseball. He was smart enough to cultivate the confidence of his owner, and to get one of the sweetest deals that any manager has ever gotten.