• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Getting a Hotel Upgrade

So I just booked a nice hotel in downtown Denver next month for our first wedding anniversary. Do any travel pros have any suggestions for getting a complimentary room upgrade? I mentioned in the booking (it was online booking, so there was an extra field for "Additional Requests") that it is our first anniversary. I'm wondering if I should also call about a week before our stay and/or mention it's our anniversary upon check-in.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

So I just booked a nice hotel in downtown Denver next month for our first wedding anniversary. Do any travel pros have any suggestions for getting a complimentary room upgrade? I mentioned in the booking (it was online booking, so there was an extra field for "Additional Requests") that it is our first anniversary. I'm wondering if I should also call about a week before our stay and/or mention it's our anniversary upon check-in.

Thoughts?

Might not have time in one month, but you could look into a travel credit card with big signup bonus. The points can upgrade the room (but you might not have enough time to spend enough to get the points)

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Thoughts?

Call 3 days before and ask if there is something they can do, and also mention at check in. I have had a lot of luck doing just that.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Good call. Between myself and my dirtbag friends, youd be suprised how just smiling and flirting (if its a dude, its not flirting, its business) can get you hooked up. Hotel upgrades, exit row seats on a flight, etc.

I hope that you and Andre are doing well these days.

15 hours ago, calscuf said:

You could pay more.

If I could, I would. Heck, I'd take a week-long anniversary trip if we could afford it. If we don't get an upgrade, I'm perfectly happy with the room we have. I just thought it might be a nice experience for my wife if we get bumped up to something even more special.

15 hours ago, Tank said:

Just go to the Geoff Stoddart Inn and Wine Bar. Everything's free there.

I tried booking a room there, but the owner told me I had to come alone and couldn't bring my wife. Kind of creeped me out, so I backed out and wrote a 1-star review on TripAdvisor.

My wife and I reserved a room in Las Vegas and told the person at check in it was our anniversary not expecting anything. She couldn't upgrade the room because of booking but got us reservations at the House of Blues Foundation room and $50 dinner discount  (about a quarter of the entire bill). That night was the game Boston made their miraculous 4th game comeback against the Yankees after losing the first 3. There were dozens of New Yorkers getting plastered in the bar in shell shock. 

See if you can join their Matterhorn program.

wife and i stayed at the pebble beach resort for our tenth anniversary. told them at the time i made the reservation that it was our anniversary, not expecting anything or realizing it would matter. booked a garden view room, which basically meant a room on the backside of the lodge facing the parking lot. when we got there for check-in, discovered they had upgraded us to a suite overlooking the 18th green. played the first 18 that morning, and the 19th that night. also watched Titanic win best picture oscar from there. there was a bottle of champagne waiting in our room for us, as well.

by all means let them know it's your anniversary.

just get there early and straight up ask them. usually if you are nice, and they have one available, they'll hook you up.

i get upgrades at hotels, flights, etc all the time by just being nice. but they aren't gonna do it unless you ask them, so ask.

most of those people are used to dealing with a**holes all day, especially at the airport. so if you come off genuine they'll go out of their way to take care of you. definitely mention anniversary. we've been married over a year and i still use the honeymoon thing all the time, it's awesome ;) 

Why don't you cancel the reservation, then book a 4-star room on Priceline using the "Name Your Own Price" tool instead.  You won't know the name of the place in advance, and it's also non-refundable, but you can save boatloads of money that way.  I've used this method about a hundred times and have no horror stories to tell.

Look here for past bid success in Denver:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=73&_service=priceline#ffmenuWB

A number of 4-star rooms won for about $100.

21 hours ago, Taylor said:

I tried booking a room there, but the owner told me I had to come alone and couldn't bring my wife. Kind of creeped me out, so I backed out and wrote a 1-star review on TripAdvisor.

It was the other way around.  Your wife is more than welcome.

BTW ... that 1 star review increased our TripAdvisor ranking, so thanks! 

As others have said, just ask them.  Honestly, if you are polite and kind they will give you a room upgrade if they have an upgrade available.  It works best when you're standing in front of them.  It's much easier to tell someone "no" over the phone than it is when someone is standing in front of you.