• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Bitter Lesson From Seattle's Minimum Wage Hike

17 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ive been toying with the idea of suing wienerschnitzel for making me fat, like smokers with big tobacco.....

....but i just cant....i love their product too much...best mountain dew on earth

the dew has been at weinerschnitzel? why am i just now finding this out??? i feel cheated.

I can tell you with relative certainty that it will cause us to shift our manufacturing from California (I know, stupid in the first place) to a more favorable state.  And that will cost at least 12 jobs, possibly 20.  It's mind boggling that everyone is getting lumped into the same boat, whether you provide medical benefits (we do), paid vacation time (we do, 2 weeks plus state mandated sick time), 401(k) (we do), full-time work (we do) or none of the above. 

2 hours ago, mp170.6 said:

Anybody else thinking a $15/hr minimum wage would cause more damage than Hillary or Trump (take your pick) elected to be President? 

I really do.

I didn't really answer your question directly in my previous post.  From my experience, in the construction-related field, the market generally slows with administration change, and come election time.  I don't know if one or the other would be worse than minimum wage (and to clarify, our absolutely entry level positions, where you have to breath and sign your name, and we will train you, earn $12/hr.)  In 2008, the market screeched to a halt in November.  Was tamer in 2000.  I think everyone puckers up tighter than a snare drum until they see what the new administration has planned.  I hate that every four years any and all momentum is affected because of the election

5 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

I can tell you with relative certainty that it will cause us to shift our manufacturing from California (I know, stupid in the first place) to a more favorable state.  And that will cost at least 12 jobs, possibly 20.  It's mind boggling that everyone is getting lumped into the same boat, whether you provide medical benefits (we do), paid vacation time (we do, 2 weeks plus state mandated sick time), 401(k) (we do), full-time work (we do) or none of the above. 

One of my clients did exactly that last year. Austin, Texas got another 100 jobs from California out of it.

And it is crazy that we don't distinguish for the benefits you mentioned. Or worse yet, why don't we have a lower tipped wage? Where is the logic in that? (Rhetorical question: there is no logic behind it. It was liberal, feel-good legislation, passed with no care for its negative impact).

15 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

American Apparel announced it will probably be moving it's manufacturing from Los Angeles to a lower wage part of the country. 

American Apparel is said to be considering moving manufacturing out of California