• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols is approaching a big milestone, very quietly

“We have no regrets about signing Albert Pujols,” Angels President John Carpino said.

Carpino said Pujols’ professionalism, accountability and community commitment radiates through the organization, not only among his teammates but into the front office as well.

He said Angels owner Arte Moreno never has vetoed a player acquisition because of the financial commitment to Pujols, despite the perception that the contracts of Pujols ($250 million) and Josh Hamilton ($125 million) crippled the Angels.

“Not with Albert’s contract,” Carpino said, choosing his words carefully.

34 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

He should retire immediately after he reaches that milestone because he's in danger of retiring with a below .300 career BA if he hangs around too long.

As Jordan said when someone questioned him about his legacy being tainted when he signed with the Wizards, "it's my legacy to taint".  

With the shifts, I can look every year and add 30 more base hits because the shift affected me, and I could easily be hitting above .300, or .315,” Pujols said.

Lol that he really believes that. He's so full of himself. Why can't he just admit that he no longer has the skill level to adjust to the shift. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

“We have no regrets about signing Albert Pujols,” Angels President John Carpino said.

Carpino said Pujols’ professionalism, accountability and community commitment radiates through the organization, not only among his teammates but into the front office as well.

He said Angels owner Arte Moreno never has vetoed a player acquisition because of the financial commitment to Pujols, despite the perception that the contracts of Pujols ($250 million) and Josh Hamilton ($125 million) crippled the Angels.

“Not with Albert’s contract,” Carpino said, choosing his words carefully.

*makes vigorous wanking motion*

That statement has so much BS, you'd think that Scioscia wrote it.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

“Not with Albert’s contract but the combination of the two,” Carpino said, choosing his words carefully.

fixed

lost in all the 'non-hype' I guess is that the ongoing media narrative with Pujols starts and ends with his less than stellar start with the Halos his first season here -- and actually, he rebounded in the second half of that first season to post decent power numbers and, really, season line for each year with the Halos since shows good production -- the batting average is not what it was in St. Louis -- but he has had good numbers -- some can (and may) argue he's had "Steve Garvey like stats" in the sense that the knock on Steve Garvey and whatever fairly decent stats he may have put up in any given season were 'non-clutch/ key hits/ HRs"  such as a hitting a late inning HR or key hit in a game the Dodgers were losing 8-0 or something........so his stats looked good but he could not be counted upon when it counted.........I don't think that's the case with Pujols -- and if you look as his record/ production overall, he's done pretty well during his time here...........he's approaching what? HR No. 600 and with his latest HR the other day, I was very surprised to read in several newspaper accounts of the game and his HR (including the LA Times) that there was no mention that it was HR 587 (or whatever number it was)........

3 hours ago, CALZONE said:

With the shifts, I can look every year and add 30 more base hits because the shift affected me, and I could easily be hitting above .300, or .315,” Pujols said.

Lol that he really believes that. He's so full of himself. Why can't he just admit that he no longer has the skill level to adjust to the shift. 

I Agree With him.  He frequently hits the ball hard into the shift.  If the defense played traditionally he probably would have 20 or 30 more hits.

no comment on Josh Hamilton's contract -- that was a disaster day one and, I think, to a poster -- everyone on this board said so -- so for the folks here on that - there's no Monday Morning Quarterbacking re Hamilton's contract -- Arte seemed to be responded to action elsewhere and perhaps up the freeway with Dogs' moves -- and, apparently, felt  'he/ the Halos, 'had to do something"  -- and then the Hamilton signing debacle -- criticized day one by virtually every poster here (and rightfully so then and certainly now).

Hamilton and his history is a guy, who, if he is to be signed (then and certainly ever again), should be signed to one of those NBA like contracts -- duration Ten Days.

Signing Pujols is like going to an expensive restaurant and getting merely decent to pretty good food. So you could look at it two ways: one, it is a terrible disappointment from what you were expecting and paid for, and two, at least it is reasonably tasty. Both are true.

Since joining the Angels, this is where Pujols ranks in the majors:

#98 in fWAR (9.6).

#56 in wRC+ (120).

#76 in wOBA (.339).

To put that another way, during his tenure as an Angel, Albert has been the 98th best player in the majors, the 56th best offensive contributor,and the 76th best hitter.

So we could say that Albert has been pretty good, but we can also say that he's been hugely disappointing.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Carpino said Pujols’ professionalism, accountability and community commitment radiates through the organization..."

There's your answer...the team has been exposed to radiation