• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jean Segura .310 9hr 42 rbi 18 SB

2 minutes ago, JoJo26 said:

I wrote about him awhile back - and fans jumped my back. I thought he was better than Aybar and his antics...oh well...kid has always had talent - glad it's on display on a daily thing.

Not sure if I commented on it or not but if I saw the article I'm sure I did.  I realize he was part of the Greinke deal and maybe the Brewers wouldn't make the trade for all I know but I was very vocal right when it happened that Segura was included.

18 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Good for him. Liked the guy and has had some unfortunate stuff happen to him. I hope he keeps it up

yeah.  always rooted for the guy.  Losing a child has to be the most devastating thing I can think of.  Was really bummed he was included in that deal, but they weren't doing it without him.  

To be fair, looking at his past, i think its fair to say it was worth it to get grienke. Obviously grienke didnt work out...but segura struggled a lot, too. The death in the family could have very well been it, so i cut the guy total slack. But i think all in all, it was a decent trade. (We just couldnt afford grienke)

Jean Segura was good for the Angels. We needed to learn a hard lesson, and Segura was the man used to teach this organization this. You don't trade your high upside prospects for rental players. Even if they're blocked (Aybar and Kendrick), you hold onto them or if you do trade them, you do it for a long term piece. 

Segura has gone on to be an all-star caliber player, and Greinke was gone in a few short months. 

So in modern terms, it means we don't trade Jahmai Jones or Matt Thaiss for a rental piece. Let other teams do that. It's a gamble not worth making, doesn't matter how many prospects we have.

Now if it's a player with 2-3 years of control, yeah, sure, but only if it's completely necessary. Grichuk being included in the Freese-Bourjos deal comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

It was a good trade. ZG gave us a shot at making the playoffs and doing something. Didn't happen but it was a risk worth taking. 

See nowI'd disagree it's a risk worth taking.  Not using insight here, just saying that when you have a top prospect like this, you don't risk 6+ years of him for 2 months of a star.  The value just cannot equate.  You do trade 6+ years of a top prospect like he was if it brings back 2+ years of a star.  That's a gamble worth making in the right situation.  

If it's a prospect without the polish or upside Segura had, but still a likely big leaguer, then yeah, you make that deal for Grienke.  But Segura, being MLB ready and having the potential he had at the time, you don't trade it for a rental.  It's not an appropriate allocation of value.  

3 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Jean Segura was good for the Angels. We needed to learn a hard lesson, and Segura was the man used to teach this organization this. You don't trade your high upside prospects for rental players. Even if they're blocked (Aybar and Kendrick), you hold onto them or if you do trade them, you do it for a long term piece. 

I don't think the Segura trade/outcome taught them anything to be honest, and it's worth noting the people responsible for that trade are gone anyway...  Regardless, I've always believed the Segura was one of JD's best uses of assets -- he got a legit Cy Young caliber pitcher for a prospect and two suspects...  To me that was a helluva haul, they weren't able to retain him but still an amazing get..   It's also worth pointing out that of the guys they had in the minors at the time Segura has actually performed the worst. Trout, Cron, Grichuk have all posted better career OPS+ figures as MLBers..   All that aside, it's good to see him again doing well.  Like Doc said, playing through the loss of a child had to be incredibly difficult and yet he did just that.   Very happy to see him doing well and even though I disagree he was the guy that taught them anything, if his success in any way shape or form reminds the Angels to think twice before making a trade then great.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't think the Segura trade/outcome taught them anything to be honest, and it's worth noting the people responsible for that trade are gone anyway...  Regardless, I've always believed the Segura was one of JD's best uses of assets -- he got a legit Cy Young caliber pitcher for a prospect and two suspects...  To me that was a helluva haul, they weren't able to retain him but still an amazing get..   It's also worth pointing out that of the guys they had in the minors at the time Segura has actually performed the worst. Trout, Cron, Grichuk have all posted better career OPS+ figures as MLBers..   All that aside, it's good to see him again doing well.  Like Doc said, playing through the loss of a child had to be incredibly difficult and yet he did just that.   Very happy to see him doing well and even though I disagree he was the guy that taught them anything, if his success in any way shape or form reminds the Angels to think twice before making a trade then great.

As I said, I'm not opposed to trading Segura, just not on a rental. Now if it was a Dan Haren type (#2 starter with 2-3 years of control) then yeah, I'm willing to include Segura in that package. But for only two months of a pitcher, the value simply doesn't come out anywhere near equal.

I kind of remember the Edmonds saga in the late 1990s.    After having strong seasons through iirc 1998, he eventually gets hurt and sits out a lot of games and then "allegedly" started becoming a clubhouse issue.   Wasn't he the one who challenged Vaughn, after Vaughn refused to get involved in support of teammates during a bench clearing brawl in 1999?    Granted that wasn't anything truly bad at all, and exposed Vaughn for who he truly was.

12 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

It was a good trade. ZG gave us a shot at making the playoffs and doing something. Didn't happen but it was a risk worth taking. 

As I stated at the time of the trade.  It's a good trade if the Angels make the playoffs OR they resigned Grienke.  Neither happened.  In hindsight we shouldn't have made the trade but divinely understand the logic behind it 

13 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Giving up a top prospect for 2.5 months of a pitcher for a shot at making the playoffs is the definition of a bad deal.  This is exactly the kind of thinking that got the Angels into the mess they are in now.