• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Yankees consider cutting A-Rod and Tex

NJHalo

So just when we thought we were going to be home free with Wilson and Weaver coming off the books you can see that Yankees will be shedding $75M + off of their books after this season. So it looks like Arte is going to have some huge competition in the free agent market. The Yankee fans are getting hungry. 

7 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

So just when we thought we were going to be home free with Wilson and Weaver coming off the books you can see that Yankees will be shedding $75M + off of their books after this season. So it looks like Arte is going to have some huge competition in the free agent market. The Yankee fans are getting hungry. 

Be interesting to see what they actually spend it on.  As pointed out in other threads, there is not much there on the FA market in 2017.  Yankees do have assets to trade though if they want to make a trade for another team's high priced talent.

33 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Be interesting to see what they actually spend it on.  As pointed out in other threads, there is not much there on the FA market in 2017.  Yankees do have assets to trade though if they want to make a trade for another team's high priced talent.

On first glance, Reddick would be ideal for the short RF porch.   But then one looks at his stats vs lefties (low .600s OPS) throughout his career, which is likely why he has exceeded 120 games played only twice.

Just now, gotbeer said:

Marlins are 52-43 with a young team.  Not sure they would do a big deal.  Maybe a deal like Ichiro where Arod is bench depth. 

That's what I'm thinking.  If the Yankees release him, no one is claiming him until he clears waivers so I could see Loria getting him to come over for the opportunity to get his 700th HR in Marlin teal...

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

That's what I'm thinking.  If the Yankees release him, no one is claiming him until he clears waivers so I could see Loria getting him to come over for the opportunity to get his 700th HR in Marlin teal...

Ichiro is getting a 1 year, $2 million deal.  Heck Tex and Arod at that price for bench depth would probably be worth it.

Oh, and funny thing.  Ichiro has a club option for 2017.  So even he might not be done yet. 

why would they do this on July 21 -- ten days before rosters expand on August 1 ?

If they do this, it means they really don't like these guys.

Isn't A-Rod fairly close to a milestone HR number?

I can see them maybe doing this during the off-season but not now.

this 'rumor' leak seems designed to get some team to ask for these guys in a deadline deal.......can't imagine anyone doing that -- A-Rod has huge contract and not much left.

Tex seems to have some hot streaks this season, has some power and presumably can still field 1B fairly well -- perhaps some team might bite......

49 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

A-Rod is at 696 HR

Arte will sign him for the milestones. Think of the possibilities! Two homerun counters! 4 until 700, 18 until Ruth, 59 until Aaron, and 66 until Bonds. 6 years 200M with milestone incentives

He's had two home runs since June 6th.

Slowing down fast and coming to a stop. The career is running on fumes at this point.

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

The Yankees have much more flexibility and the luxury tax won't keep them from getting their guy......or guys.

4 hours ago, disarcina said:

why would they do this on July 21 -- ten days before rosters expand on August 1 ?

If they do this, it means they really don't like these guys.

Isn't A-Rod fairly close to a milestone HR number?

I can see them maybe doing this during the off-season but not now.

this 'rumor' leak seems designed to get some team to ask for these guys in a deadline deal.......can't imagine anyone doing that -- A-Rod has huge contract and not much left.

Tex seems to have some hot streaks this season, has some power and presumably can still field 1B fairly well -- perhaps some team might bite......

Yes, he is close to a milestone number.  Oddly, per Cott's, it's not 700 but 714.  And he'd get a $6 million bonus if he hits it. 

So my thinking is this.  You cut him before 700.  That way a team may claim him on waivers just for that milestone.  (probably not, but who knows)  Also possibly the Yankees are trying to do him a favor.  You cut him before the milestone, and he could get a job somewhere to just get the milestone.  Whether it be $1 million or whatever for the rest of the season. 

Although I think the bridge might be burned, he could do a Griffey like swan song in Seattle.  Seattle is still in the race, but not really, so this would at least gain interest in the area for the rest of the season.  Other teams long out of it might also be interested in attending the circus also. 

Are we all forgetting that if the Yankees release Arod that any team could sign him for the league minimum while the Yankees are still on the hook for this and next years salary?  That money still counts against their cap number next year. 

6 hours ago, CALZONE said:

A-Rod has 1 more year on his contract.

I think it's a flyer by the Yankees to see if there's any interest.

I don't see any team expressing any --

Yankees own these contracts -- the only question now - will these guys be on the active roster while collecting their paychecks or sitting by a pool somewhere.........