• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Weaver a trade candidate?....

DMVol

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

It's a remote possibility if a team needs a back-end starter who can eat some innings (which Weaver can do) and the Angels eat most of his salary. I'm sure he'd love a chance to win a ring if a team was willing to take him on.

He's earned the right to be in the loop about any decision....but if we're eating most of his salary and getting a marginal prospect in return, I don't see the point.....

why?

I think he's earned the equivalent of a no-trade clause in his contract -- so if he agrees -- he gets dealt to a contender......does St. Louis need rotation help?

how about San Francisco?

but Weaver gave the Halos a hometown discount to extend his contract and stay in Anaheim.....he's pitched well the past few outings --- Angels need to show some class here and deal Weaver only if Weaver says " heck, yeah, I want to go to a team that can win it all"

does anyone see Weaver being on the Halos in 2017?

perhaps a one plus one year option incentive laden deal.

but then, Weaver is the kind of guy who could just say "I'm done, I've earned enough from this game, good bye"

another guy that could do that is Lincecum -- I don't Lincecum has pitched well enough so far to earn the interest of teams seeking a back end starter. Lincecum probably will finish the season as a Halo and even though the Halos (despite their impressive three game -- only one run given up -- sweep of the ChiSox) are out of contention -- the second half of the season is very important to Timmy Lincecum -- he really needs to put together a string on quality starts, remain healthy and hope to catch the interest of teams during the off-season.

I would lose a lot of respect for Weaver if he refused a trade for a chance in the playoffs. I'm betting he would gladly agree to a trade.

if the Angels eat most of his salary then I would expect a B type prospect in return. 

I believe there's a contender out there who will overlook the stats for a experienced veteran. Weaver pitches better under pressure.

Well, tdawg87 - you may well be right about that --but let's look at the situation here ---- Weaver is a long time Halo -- gave us a Hometown Discount to extend his contract a few years back when he clearly could have commanded much more and started a bidding war (which Halos would have finished third or even fourth in) -- he has pitched well his past few starts, seems to be a better 'pitcher' these days truly transitioning from a 'thrower with good stuff' -- and 2017 Halos???  Not much going on there anyway --- so a one year deal (perhaps with an option for 2018 that likely would not be exercised) incentive laden deal for a back end rotation guy may make sense given the 2017 roster.

not saying it happens (and, again, Weaver is a guy who could pull a Tim Duncan and simply walk away in mid off-season) but it's not completely out of the realm of where things stand with the Halos these days........and I'm clearly not suggesting we give him one of those 'we appreciate your past service' type of contracts that Halos have given out in the past -- or the worst example of one of those is the last Lakers contract to extend Kobe which combined with Commissioner Stern's veto of the Paul trade led to disaster seasons for the Lakers.

Troll Daddy -- remember when Jeff Weaver -- apparently washed up (not for the first time in his career) went to St. Louis before the trade deadline -- continued his run of just terrible starts for his first several outings -- and then -- all of a sudden -- under the tutelage of Dave Duncan, apparently, turned things around for the then-La Russa Cardinals and played a key role in the playoffs and World Series for the World Champ Cardinals -- I think he won two World Series starts in that series...........Jered probably remembers that.

Jeff then took that W/S success and turned it into a another large contract (was with Seattle? Can't remember now, Jeff Weaver's career had nine lives) -- Jeff Weaver never again saw the success he had with the Cardinals -- at the time time, I thought he should have stayed with Dave Duncan in St. Louis -- but Jeff Weaver always looked to the big pay day -- and now that his career is over -- who is to say Jeff (and his sometimes sour disposition -- unlike Jered IMO) was wrong in doing so??

Actually we may need him as a back of the rotation guy next year.  Where do you all think we are going to get decent starters.  Heaney is out, Richards is questionable, Wilson is finished with the Angels, Lincicome won't be here in all likelihood.  The free agent list is terrible outside of Strassburg, who we have no chance to get.  We need about 8 reliable starters next year.  There is Santiago (if not traded), Shoemaker (if not traded), Tropeano, Skaggs (maybe), Smith (maybe), that's about it unless the Richards miracle occurs.

2 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

We have had quite enough of paying players to help other teams.

this isn't the same case at all. 

weaver's done as an angel at the end of this year, and most likely his mlb career is too. his salary isn't a consideration. if a team had interest in weaver, then i would ask him if he would like to be traded to a playoff bound team, out of respect for his angel career. he should absolutely be given the chance to get a ring, if the option exists. i doubt it does, but never the less.

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

What team will be willing to part ways with anything of value in order to acquire a pitcher in his final season before retirement, shoving at 83 mph?

a valid question, but totally unrelated to any point i made. assuming you were responding to me.

Weaver can manage a pitch count and get you to the 6th. There might be a playoff team out there that doesn't mind giving up some runs to get the length in their start. Long shot but not out of the realm of possibility.

I doubt he'd accept a trade.  To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire if the Angels and Dodgers don't want him next year.  Weaver's a SoCal guy, his Dad attends all of his home starts, and he left 30-50 million (or maybe more) on the table to sign an extension.  I'd give Weaver a one year incentive laden deal for 2017, worth a shot if it's cheap and if he'd be open to long relief/spot starting.

The only way I see a contending team being interested in a pitcher like Weaver is if they happen to be in a similar situation to the '14 Angels team that had solid division lead but is starting someone like Rasmus every 5th day due to an injury.  That team just needs to play out the string and keep their top starters and BP healthy enough to get to the playoffs and Weaver could give the 6-7 IP 4-5 ER and save the BP a bit.  Otherwise, I can't see any GM with even a basic grasp of current pitching metrics having an interest.

Didn't the Lincecum signing put the Angels a little over the luxury tax threshold? If so, I'm sure they're going to dump at least enough salary to get under it. Not saying it's going to be Weav, but someone like Soto, Escobar, Smith, etc... will need to be dumped for the proverbial PTBNL. To finish a little over the luxury tax in a year where they're not competitive would be one of the most asinine, if not the most asinine, decisions under Arte's ownership.

44 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Didn't the Lincecum signing put the Angels a little over the luxury tax threshold? If so, I'm sure they're going to dump at least enough salary to get under it. Not saying it's going to be Weav, but someone like Soto, Escobar, Smith, etc... will need to be dumped for the proverbial PTBNL. To finish a little over the luxury tax in a year where they're not competitive would be one of the most asinine, if not the most asinine, decisions under Arte's ownership.

Yeah I've been concerned about that for awhile. Assuming that is still the case (and nothing has changed so I see no reason why that would not be the case), we definitely need to dump payroll.