• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Skaggs 1 hit in 7 innings 14Ks

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Could change the equation for next year if Skaggs is ready and Tropeano,Shoemaker and Santiago continue to pitch well....might not be quite the disaster it looked like it might be when Heaney and Richards went down....we'll see....

Whenever I see something like "if Santiago contines to pitch well" I just have to shake my head.

Let Lincecum have three or four more starts to see if he can get straighten out and if he does, then he'd be a nice addition to 2017 rotation especially if Richards doesn't mend.

If he doesn't, cut him and bring Skaggs up.

2017 = Skaggs, Trop, Shoe, Santiago and Lincecum.  That would be ok

GEEZ -- Finally!! Some good news here from what has been just a disaster of a season.

He's gotta take it easy - if they bring him back for the second half -- he needs to be on strict pitch limit -- the Halos 'out of contention' status could be good for a 'rehab' at the MLB time frame for him -- let him get some starts in, 50 to 75 pitches -- and he'll be ready to go in ST 2017.

12 hours ago, nate said:

Plus remember that Lincecum did the same thing in AAA before he came up and we all know how that worked out.

Would rather make sure Skaggs is ready to avoid another injury.

Cannot be overstated. Bring him along slowly. We're not going anywhere this year.

All we need is a tight forearm and another year on the DL for Skaggs.

35 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yes, we can save the prorated amount of $500k by having him pitch in AAA. Buys a lot of yacht  fuel.

Is it a service time thing? He was optioned to AAA rather than put on the DL, right? (btw that is really dodgy, if so) If that's the case he wouldn't be accumulating service and he is at 2.066. By keeping him in AAA until the end of July we can probably keep him from hitting the super two cutoff. We've clearly been playing the service time game this year with Tropeano and I'm guessing a desire not to start Nate Smith's clock is the reason he isn't up here, so it wouldn't surprise me if we're trying to manipulate the system.

36 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Is it a service time thing? He was optioned to AAA rather than put on the DL, right? (btw that is really dodgy, if so) If that's the case he wouldn't be accumulating service and he is at 2.066. By keeping him in AAA until the end of July we can probably keep him from hitting the super two cutoff. We've clearly been playing the service time game this year with Tropeano and I'm guessing a desire not to start Nate Smith's clock is the reason he isn't up here, so it wouldn't surprise me if we're trying to manipulate the system.

They want to see him go more than three starts before having issues...   He's been shut down twice this season, both times after developing stiffness or fatigue after his second or third appearance.   To date he's thrown all of 33 innings in the minors this season and only once has he gone more than 5 innings.  He's pitched as many as 5 innings in a start three times.   His usage to date should be a hint and a half as to what's going on.

20 minutes ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

His major league clock has started, so can they really make him take a pay cut once he has finished his rehab assignment?

He's not getting paid a major league salary when he pitches for Salt Lake. He does not have a guaranteed major league contract so his pay is based on his days on the ML roster.

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He's not getting paid a major league salary when he pitches for Salt Lake. He does not have a guaranteed major league contract so his pay is based on his days on the ML roster.

Are you sure because baseball reference.com says:

2016 Contract Status: not updated, 1 yr/$515k (16) (details) [*]Agents: CAA Sports [*]
    About biographical information

11 minutes ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

Are you sure because baseball reference.com says:

2016 Contract Status: not updated, 1 yr/$515k (16) (details) [*]Agents: CAA Sports [*]
    About biographical information

I could be wrong but I do know that the first three years in the big leagues the team sets your salary, has the option of sending you to the minors, and your contract is not guaranteed. The league minimum is $500,000 per season prorated to your time on the roster or DL, so players who are called up during the year, or simply on the 40 man roster do not get $500k for the season. Along the fringes I am not entirely sure, so it is possible that second and third year players are guaranteed their salary as long as they remain on the 40 man roster, but that would represent a pretty significant pay increase for those marginal players.