• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pokemon Go

If it's what my friend was trying to show me on his phone it's brilliant and creepy.  He was at my house and showed me that by opening the game you see a map that is the equivalent of looking at a map view of your area.   It didn't show addresses but the map of my streets including houses and major cross streets were identical to google maps which is why I thought it was creepy. There's stuff on the map that shows you where you can "train" (whatever the hell that entails; closest one seemed to be a school up the way) so instead of a phone game that keeps people inside it has them out more or less geocaching.  If you're playing while out you come to areas where they capture the creatures and he said something about challenging people in the area.  Nothing I'll ever get into and the creep factor is nothing new since your phone can be tracked by various apps but sounds like it's only gaining in popularity.  

11 minutes ago, red321 said:

What is this? Why do I keep hearing about it? Why should I care? 

It is literally Pokemon google maps.  People walk to places and find Pokemon in the app.  I am so glad my daughter isn't a couple years older or I would have to contend with it.

It is really dumb but I guess it is getting some basement dwellers out and exercising so that is good.

Fu*k this stupid fuc*ing game. I don't know what you do, and I don't fuc*in' care. Like all we need is more assholes in the world staring at their freaking phones instead of paying attention to the world around them. I went out the other night with my buddies to get hammered and there were so many people playing and talking about this stupid game I wanted to start grabbing phones and chucking them. These weren't little kids, these are people over 21 up to 30.

I hate this society we've created, it makes me sick.

so i was curious, and took a little peak.

that game requires you to register with an account, either their system or google. that's a red flag. but, not uncommon.

if you use your google account, check the permissions it requires.

hint: pokemon go gets FULL access to your google account. it can read/send/delete emails, have access to your calendar and maps, etc. 

probably a massive oversight on the part of the developers, but still that is brutal bad bad bad.

i mean, really really bad.

here is a link to see application access control on your google account: https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions?pli=1

from google help page: 

"When you grant full account access, the application can see and modify nearly all information in your Google Account.

This “Full account access” privilege should only be granted to applications you fully trust, and which are installed on your personal computer, phone, or tablet."

my recommendation as a pretty reputable security guy: anyone using this app (on ios at least) with google credentials should remove it immediately from your linked google apps (you can probably still play the game).

5 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Just to make sure I'm understanding what is going on here:

This is the thread where a bunch of grown ass men on an internet forum dedicated to grown ass men who play a kids' game for a living make fun of grown ass men for playing a kids' game on the internet?

No clouds in the sky to yell at today.

51 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

How is it monetized? 

you can make in game payments to speed things up / find more stuff / etc.

its making $1,600,000  

a day

on iPhone alone.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/11/the-brilliant-mechanics-of-pokemon-go/

its added $9b to nintendo's market cap this week alone. crazy. mobile games are HUGE business (and getting bigger)

8 hours ago, mrwicked said:

its making $1,600,000  

a day

on iPhone alone.

its added $9b to nintendo's market cap this week alone. crazy. mobile games are HUGE business (and getting bigger)

And to think.  This is Nintendo's first foray into the mobile market.  Wait till Mario or their other properties hit.  Consoles might have just taken a fatality blow.

9 hours ago, mrwicked said:

its making $1,600,000  

a day

on iPhone alone.

That is mind blowing. 

9 hours ago, Tank said:

a good reminder of how lame twitter is.

I think twitter has some good uses, news is in real time and you can follow your favorite writers and sports analysts(I don't watch ESPN or much tv, so this along with AW.com are my primary sports feeds), but agreed majority is trash.