• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Victor Rojas

who did the radio broadcast while Terry Smith was on TV replacing Victor Rojas ??

As for Terry Smith -- not sure why some folks here say they don't like him -- I think he's pretty good.

I prefer Victor Rojas on TV but Terry is a pretty good back up and I think he handles the radio broadcasts very well.

now having posted those sentences above -- I think everyone can agree, the Angels games right now are difficult to watch or listen to right now regardless of who is behind the mike.

I liked the photos of Enberg, Drysdale, Starr and GEEZ - Buddy Blattner !!!  I noticed two other fairly long serving announcers not listed there -- Phyz and Hud - now both with KC.

And Mario Impemba who teamed with Starr and suddenly found himself as the lead pbp guy when Starr passed away. He went to Detroit (back home for him) to work with legendary Ernie Harwell during the late Harwell's final years in the booth -- I think by that point Harwell was doing a reduced schedule of limited home games.

Both Impemba and Daron Sutton -- who were a pretty good team -- departed for other opportunities (this was before Arte bought the Club ) and the next year was 2002 when the Halos won it all.

While Enberg gets all the attention as the Halos 'all time' announcer, if you will, Bob Starr was actually a Halos announcer for more years -- 14 seasons in all in two different stints: 1980 to 1989 and 1993 to 1997 - he died during the off-season after the 1997 season. Starr was also the long time announcer for the Los Angeles Rams football.

Don Wells -- who passed away about a year ago or so -- was the Halos first announcer and did that role for 12 years -- 1961-1972 teaming up with a young Dave Niehaus for about three of those years (1970-72) . Niehaus joined the Angels in 1970 and left in 1976 to take the Seattle job.

Remember Ken Wilson? 1991-1996 -- I thought he was ok -- lot of folks did not really care for him, Wilson was primarily a NHL hockey pbp guy (St. Louis Blues).

PHYZ spent 13 years in the Halos booth (1997-2009) -- I thought he was OK but have to agree that Victor Rojas is a significant upgrade.

Folks tend to forget this but Ken Brett spent ten years (1987-96) as a color commentator for the Angels.

two announcers that are probably considered low points in booth talent were Al Wisk - three seasons and Al Conin (1983-1992) who was in the Halos booth for ten seasons -- I did not realize he was there that long --- probably because I found him difficult to listen to,  so I chose not to.

and then , of course, the late Rory Markas -- the USC basketball radio/ TV guy who came over to the Angels - his untimely death robbed him and us of his opportunity to be the primary TV pbp guy after Phyz's contract was not renewed.......Markas' signature phrase "Just another Halos' victory" won't be that applicable this year.........

3 hours ago, TaTaToohie said:

Bring back The Hud

Hud & Phyz's super positive attitude seemed to spread to the players, they were always upbeat & had that winning feel in their broadcasts that seemed to always bring out good luck.

They should wait until the team is good again before they bring them back.

On the field Luck always seemed to be on the Angels side when they were around. From clutch hitting to pitchers getting out of jams, players playing well beyond their potential etc.

With Rojas/Gubi there is a lot of bad luck, so many injuries, players declining too early like Pujols/Weaver, so many anti-clutch moments, etc.

Kudos to DiSar for bringing up the first ever announcer, Don "Don't Call Me Dawn" Wells.

He's the one who called the very first inning, when Kluzewski and Cerv hit back-to-back HRs in Baltimore off of Milt Pappas.   Also with Wells in 1961 was legendary Rams announcer Bob Kelley.   Buddy Blattner came aboard in 1962 (replacing Kelley), and called the first no-hitter for the franchise by Bo Belinsky at Dogs Stadium.  

14 hours ago, Billy_Ball said:

How about Ken Wilson and Ken Brett (1990s TV)

Phyzz and Jerry Reuss (1996-1998 TV)

Mario Impemba and Brian Barnhart (1998 radio)

Sparky Anderson (occasional TV in the mid-late 90's.)

Sparky was kind of painful to listen to in his later years but he had some good stories. I forgot Reuss did color for a couple years. 

It was pleasant to hear Sutton call halo games again in ST this year. I always thought Sutton and Impemba had good chemistry.