• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cleveland Indians

30 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The Tomlin start is the one thing standing in the way of chasing 26 straight at Angel Stadium.   Bauer has been really good since late July.

Ironic that if they go for #26 at Angel Stadium, it will be ex-Halos prospect Mike Clevenger getting the start (opposed by Skaggs).

Yeah, maybe Clevenger, Bauer, and Carrasco for that series?

They have an off day on Monday, so not sure what they'll do with their rotation.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Does anyone know when the tie occurred in the NY Giants 26 game UNDEFEATED (NOT WINNING) streak? The Indians may already have the longest winning streak, with the Cubs.

After the 12th win of the streak.

Second game of doubleheader on September 18, 1916.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYG/1916-schedule-scores.shtml

19 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Thank you for nothing, Dipussy!   Clevenger for Pestano?   Really? Really? Really?   Really??

Clevinger for Pestano... yup, I was reminded of that trade this morning when they were talking about him on mlbnetwork radio this morning.  Dipoto damage to minor league systems is like a company wiping out a rain forest.

30 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Clevinger for Pestano... yup, I was reminded of that trade this morning when they were talking about him on mlbnetwork radio this morning.  Dipoto damage to minor league systems is like a company wiping out a rain forest.

Seriously. Id say the majority of us were fooled. Dipoto was exactly what we wanted. Finally a sabr guy, sosh was a caveman. Good god were we all wrong.

8 hours ago, moccasin said:

The Giants' win streak 101 years ago did not include a tie.

Technically, it was a postponed game after 8 innings, re-played the next game in a double header.

Their streak is a legit 26 game WINNING streak.

I did not know that. I've read reports that there was a tie in the streak. If it was simply a game that was continued to the next day, and the Giants won, then that is a legit 26 game winning streak. 

re: the Giants' 26-game win streak in 1916.

All those wins were at the Polo Grounds during a very lengthy home stand. The 17 straight games they won earlier in that season were all on the road.

They started the season 2-13, then won 17 straight. In spite of those two long winning streaks, the Giants finished in fourth place in the NL.

4 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I did not know that. I've read reports that there was a tie in the streak. If it was simply a game that was continued to the next day, and the Giants won, then that is a legit 26 game winning streak. 

It's hard to tell what happened from looking at the box scores. Wasn't there a 154 game schedule back then? I ask because the 1916 Giants played 155 games that year and had 3 ties on the books. They played a double header on Wednesday, took Friday off, had another double header on Saturday, didn't play Sunday, then had a double header on Monday (with game #2 being a tie after 8 innings) and followed that up with a double header on Tuesday. All in all they played the Pirates 6 straight times, which makes sense because one of their earlier ties was against the Pirates. The other tie was against Boston, which was definitely not made up the next day.

So it does seem like these are make up games. I'm left wondering why they started the game over, and whether or not the stats from the tied game are included in players season / career totals.

I think this confusion over that "tie" game is why I have read so many conflicting reports in the media. 26 game undefeated streak or a 26 game winning streak?

Has the Commissioner's office made any statement about this?

If they can void Harvey Haddix's 12 perfect innings as a no-hitter, they should have a ruling on this.