• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Motorcycles

So what does the Facebook post say?  

While driving up the 5 Saturday around 10:45am, traffic was slow there had been an accident.  When I was slowly passing the scene there was a down motorcyclist laying on the freeway, under his bike laying on his side (obviously), talking on his cell phone.  He wasn't hurt too bad since he was on his phone, but it was still weird to see.  

I was never a fan of the crotch rockets. I've always been more about cruising that flying. I bought a Road King when I returned from the middle east the first time in '01 and shortly after that was handed down an old '57 Panhead from my uncle. I really enjoyed puttering around outside the cities but once there's traffic around it gets too dangerous. I eventually sold them both and that made my mom and my daughter happy. I miss riding but it's not really worth the risk anymore.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I've got a couple of employees who were severely injured on their bikes in the past 18 months. Both of them were hit by other vehicles  running red lights. 

Yeah the biggest problem riding in the city is that nobody is paying attention anymore. It's almost inevitable that you'll get hit by an idiot in a car.

It always seems to be some car attempting a left turn but doing so right into an oncoming motorcycle. All the riding experience in the world can't help you there. So many drivers out there don't pay attention to things like other cars, trucks or even trains so you're really SOL when it comes to a bike.

Inwas on muirlands right after this happened. They shut everything down for a couple of blocks and diverted traffic.

oddly enough, an apparent murder happens in Lake Forest around the same time. When I got to the theater Sunday morning the parking lot was all taped off as a crim zone.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

I've got a couple of employees who were severely injured on their bikes in the past 18 months. Both of them were hit by other vehicles  running red lights. 

what were they doing way up here in glendale??

i'd love to ride a motorcycle. i'd hate to ride one in glendale or on LA freeways. way too many morons out there.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

on a somewhat related note, i'm noticing more and more bicyclists running red lights and completely ignoring many traffic laws.

I have been riding road and mountain bikes since I was 13. The absolute worst and dumbest thing a cyclist can do is run the red. My 17lb Carbon road bike going 25 mph will never beat a car. 

Not only is running the red bad for an individual cyclist, it's bad for the cyclists who follow the law.

Used to have a bike. Only incident was some asshole cutting me off and slamming the brakes..........bikes don't brake the same and I fish tailed into him. Was pretty fucking crazy, to be honest. I just remember staring at his trunk thing this is it and hopefully I survive when I land. Luckily I fishtailed in a way that really just had me bump off the quarter panel. But yeah, usually some other dickhead like this causing the issue.

It made me a better driver, even off the bike. You look for certain things and do little shit like look at someones face through their rearview or side mirror to see what they are looking at and focused on.

I miss it and have contemplated getting another one. I don't want to deal with parking, maintenance, and just overall stupidity from other drivers.

19 hours ago, nate said:

Can't imagine how a 57 Panhead would handle the heat. Better than a knuckle I guess.

I had it while I was working in Connecticut. Rain was a bigger problem. I guess the smooth ride of the Road King spoiled me so I really wasn't a fan of the bone jarring lack of a suspension system. It stayed in my sister's garage most of the time.

Like i said, im too much of a wuss to ride one, but ive toyed with the idea of buying an old panhead just for the occasional cruise around the house grab lunch kind of day. One thing that does kind of appeal to me though is taking a road trip on a bike. A few guys from work go a few times a year, ride out in the country easy rider style. Sounds like a blast. But again, i know id kill myself.

It's one of those things that sounds cool, but wears off pretty quickly. It's just uncomfortable to be stuck in a single position for so long. I don't remember if I ever did a Vegas trip on the bike, but know I've been to San Diego and LA (the LA trip was even to do the all day ride up and down PCH with a buddy out there) and even that ~2hr trek just gets monotonous. Granted, I had a street bike and not some plush old man cruiser.

It could be cool though. There is something liberating about riding when it's more cruise like and open than the daily grind of riding to and from work, etc. and wondering if this is the day some asshole takes you out because they are too busy texting.

Street bikes and cruisers are two completely different experiences.  I don't really get the appeal of a street bike.  I owned a R6 for a few months (before getting my license suspended for being pulled over doing 110 on the 134, I was a 20 year old idiot) and I have had a few rides on a R1 and it was just terrifying and uncomfortable after 20 minutes.

Something like a Harley or Yamaha V-Star etc is comfortable for long rides and really nice.  I have done Ventura to Castaic or Ventura to SLO a few times and really enjoyed it.

Still, you are better off buying a convertible and staying safe.