• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Professors investigated for presenting opposing viewpoints (not satire)

I think this stands well enough on its own.

Students should participate more in discussions that make them uncomfortable. Only by facing these subjects will they be able to form an understanding of all facets of life rather than those they only want to believe in without critical thought. 

Professors should be able to sue for being restricted in teaching methods provided that are acceptable in bringing resources and discussion to the subjects being studied. Opposing viewpoints are probably the most important information they can provide to break down pre conceived opinions and force critical thinking. 

More thinking,  less whinning. 

My views were shaped more in high school than in college. It came mainly from exposure to people of different races and cultures. My school district was essentially segregated for decades. While I was in junior high, the federal courts stepped in, and I was in the most heavily bussed district in the country. I am grateful. It broadened my view of the world, even though I lived in the once segregated south.

imagine living in a world where only one point of view is emphasized, liberal or conservative, and that was emphasized in every aspect of your life. oh wait, that would be the muslim world. not sure how denying hearing about a second viewpoint is any different.

i imagine my college experience was very different from yours as i was at a small, private christian college. our big issue was academic freedom in the religion department, something we were woefully unprepared to deal with. it revolved around the right of teachers within the department to teach different viewpoints of biblical interpretation, viewpoints that were not consistent with our beliefs as seventh-day adventists, and viewpoints that were very, very liberal theologically. it was an issue that nearly tore apart our campus, as well as our church in north america.

"I do not believe that students should be required to listen to their own rights and personhood debated," the student wrote. "[This professor] should remove these topics from the list of debate topics. Debating the personhood of an entire minority demographic should not be a classroom exercise, as the classroom should not be an actively hostile space for people with underprivileged identities."

How hard would it be to not punch this person in the face if they said this to you in person?