• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

We should probably be appreciating Shoemaker more

Oz27

1 hour ago, Angels#1Fan said:

This isn't really accurate imo. Shoemaker had a stellar rookie season only to have an all too common sophomore jinx type year last year that spilled over into the beginning of this season. And now he's pitching even better than he did his rookie year. In fact, in his rookie season Shoemaker steadily got better as the season progressed. If you remember while he was winning in the beginning he wasn't able to go very deep in the game early on then started going deeper later in the season.

I'm not going to try and predict what Shoemaker might do in the future but it would be really hard to take if the Angels traded him for a couple of unproven prospects only to see him continue to excel. Not a no-brainer at all imo, in fact, I think it would be a tough call and risky to trade him at this point.

Shoemaker had a good rookie season at the age of 27 when he got called up due to depth issues.  He pitched 136 innings and his numbers that year were much better than his career 4.46 ERA in the minors.  Last year he suffered through a sophomore slump where the league adjusts and the player has to adjust or they struggle.    His ERA last year was 4.46 which is exactly what he put up over parts of 9 seasons in the minor leagues.  

I'm not trying to sell the guy short but the facts are his career minor league numbers aren't great, he made the most out of his 2014 opportunity which bought him a longer leash last year and he's in the midst of the best stretch of his career.  Maybe he has figured it out and goes on to be a #2 or 3 starter from here on out but he's turning 30 in 3 months and his track record doesn't suggest he'll keep this up.  Again that doesn't mean he hasn't figured some things out and I'm sure as hell rooting for him but that's why he's a perfect sell high candidate if some other team is willing to overpay for him.  

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Lets just say ... thank god this just a opinion forum and not reality.

i think a lot of you forget Shoemaker's record in 2014. 

16-4 3.04 ERA

Bet the farm that he's not getting traded. 

Nothing personal...but you've recently dotted 2 absurd posts.  1)something to the effect that all MLB pitchers still fear Pujols(LOL!) and 2)a contending team would be interested in Weaver at the deadline.  Bet the farm that Shoemaker isn't getting traded?  The Angels will most definitely be sellers in July, and if the offer is right for Shoemaker...HE GONE.

4 hours ago, meat said:

Nothing personal...but you've recently dotted 2 absurd posts.  1)something to the effect that all MLB pitchers still fear Pujols(LOL!) and 2)a contending team would be interested in Weaver at the deadline.  Bet the farm that Shoemaker isn't getting traded?  The Angels will most definitely be sellers in July, and if the offer is right for Shoemaker...HE GONE.

I believe what I said ... "there's not a pitcher in baseball that feels comfortable pitching to Pujols". I'm not sure how you picked up the word fear.

The Weaver comment was more of a question. Crazier things have happened in trades. If I'm Eppler I'm putting it out there. Weaver pitched well in April. He still brings a leadership quality to a pitching staff and is a true competitor. There's definitely a possibility there for a team trying to get a playoff spot in dire straits. If that's the case ... you go with the experienced veteran. 

Shoemaker IMO isn't going anywhere. Angels need pitching in 2017. Don't believe those who claim that we're  going to rebuild.