• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

I can't believe some of the statements I am seeing

That's the crazy thing about baseball, variance and crazy variance can happen.  Although I thought Joyce was fully capable of being productive again, I am not surprised he's doing this well. I'm no baseball coach, but to me a tweak or adjustment can help make it look like a baseball player has turned a corner, when in reality it's a red herring and it can be simple variance that explains his increase in production.  It's just like the player reporting  to spring training in "the best shape of his life," yea it sounds great but really how many players really do play better because they're in better shape?    

Joyce was a career .245 hitter and hit .174 with the Angels.  It's not surprising that he's hitting .324 with the Pirates on a limited sample size.  Take his time with the Angels and with the Pirates so far and combine it and I get the following stats, which is more inline of his career stats: half a season's worth of PA's for a typical player.  374 PA, slash line of (.208/.318/.374); career line is (.245/.339/.433).  With the Pirates, he's at 90 PA's which is about 20-25 full games worth, and there's a lot of hitters that's gone hot streaks that last 20+ games. It's not surprising that he's having a "career year," he's merely catching up to his career rates.  I won't comment on the other players mentioned but I will say I don't expect Trumbo's numbers to continue as it has, but even if it does, players do have a career years.  One that pops right to my head is Adrian Beltre's last season with the Dodgers when he hit 48 homeruns and hit .334.  Again crazy variance can happen.  If Trumbo continues to hit like this throughout the season, I expect his numbers to fall bellow career norms to make up for it the next season, though I could be wrong.  You can't predict baseball!