• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Could the Electoral College play a role in this election?

Somebody else brought up this idea at work the other day and I think it's an interesting topic.  Could we see the Electoral College going against the state vote for a candidate (on either side, or even independent) in this election?  You have two main candidates who have incredibly low approval ratings almost across the board and a bunch of people - perhaps more than ever before - who will not be voting for the candidate of their choice but against the other candidate.  Could the Electoral College flip some of the vote this year?

Certainly possible, I guess.  Hillary will get score big in the popular vote in CA and NY.  I'm guessing Trump probably racks up a good haul in TX.  Who knows what the Floridiots will end up doing.  

I actually think this ends up looking more like '92 then '00 though.  I think Johnson may end up Perot'ing Trump.  And honestly, if Jill Stein could get any media play, she could Perot Clinton a bit.  Like you said, you have two main candidates who have incredibly low approval ratings almost across the board.  People will be looking for another outlet. 

But I think Clinton will end up winning both the popular and electoral college vote. 

'Murica! 

help me out here . . . but isn't each member of the EC required to vote according to how the popular vote went in their state? so if arizona or missouri voters cast a majority of their votes for clinton, then their members of the EC are also required to vote for her.

am i missing something?

There is no Constitutional provision or Federal law that requires Electors to vote according to the results of the popular vote in their States. Some States, however, require Electors to cast their votes according to the popular vote. These pledges fall into two categories—Electors bound by State law and those bound by pledges to political parties.

The U.S. Supreme Court has held that the Constitution does not require that Electors be completely free to act as they choose and therefore, political parties may extract pledges from electors to vote for the parties’ nominees. Some State laws provide that so-called "faithless Electors"; may be subject to fines or may be disqualified for casting an invalid vote and be replaced by a substitute elector. The Supreme Court has not specifically ruled on the question of whether pledges and penalties for failure to vote as pledged may be enforced under the Constitution. No Elector has ever been prosecuted for failing to vote as pledged.

Today, it is rare for Electors to disregard the popular vote by casting their electoral vote for someone other than their party’s candidate. Electors generally hold a leadership position in their party or were chosen to recognize years of loyal service to the party. Throughout our history as a nation, more than 99 percent of Electors have voted as pledged