• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Can you imagine if...

Chuck

16 hours ago, Lou said:

Have only gotten through a few of those links, but that really doesn't give an answer to the questions at hand. Those are only amounts spent on international contracts (and the rules have changed in that area). It doesn't show how much is being spent internationally as a whole.

also, nothing on how much is spent on scouting or player development.

regarding the draft, isn't it better that we don't pay more for a player than we should ? I fail to see how this is a bad thing.  Giving an 11th round pick $647k when that pick is slotted @ $100k (dodger) isn't going to make him a better player. 

There can occasionally be a benefit to doing this, granted it won't make the player better.   Like when Trumbo was going to USC in 2004, but the Halos drafted him in the 16th round and paid him money appropriate for an early round.    Same with Nick Adenhart that same year, drafted in the 18th round due to TJ surgery after HS career ended but was paid early round money to get him signed.

Nowadays though, the slotting makes this more difficult to do.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Cheap or not cheap, I think we could all agree that Arte is an absolute idiot when it comes to making baseball decisions.

was he an idiot when he agreed to give Trout his contract extension? 

49 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

No. That was a good move.

What do you think? You just like to ask questions.

Do you think Arte is good at making baseball decisions? If so, please explain.

Since I have no idea what baseball decisions he makes or doesn't make, nor have I ever pretended to,  I have absolutely no idea if he is good at making them.

I'm sure all those here who seem to know the inner workings of the front office can answer that question for you. 

21 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

They got Trout off the K-Rod compensation pick.

K-rod got them the Randal Gricuk slot number, but they had Trout only behind Strasburg on their draft board.

The Yankees had Trout as their top pic in the draft.  However the Yankees lost their #1 pick when they signed Teixeira the previous fall.  There without us having Teixeira and the Yankees signing Tiexera got us Trout. 

Edited by stormngt

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Cheap or not cheap, I think we could all agree that Arte is an absolute idiot when it comes to making baseball decisions.

I'm not sure. Many on this board were calling Heyward a sure thing due to his age and now that looks like a major bust. 

I'm of the thinking that if Pujols retires after 2019, that is pretty much what I would have given him max after 2011 (8 years/around $180 million), as 2019 is his age 39 season.   I cannot see paying anyone $30 million for either their age 40 or age 41 seasons.

And I would have only done through age 39 because he was a once in a generation type hitter.    But alas, the crouching stance has likely taken its' toll on his legs and feet.  

7 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I said that the day they hired Dipoto. I wanted to see the Angels hire a VP or Director of Baseball Operations type person first then have that guy hire a new GM. I think Arte and Carpino meeting players for dinner and signing them was way outside the scope of their duties. Pujols, Hamilton, Wilson and Dipoto were all bad signings. 

4 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

I said that the day they hired Dipoto. I wanted to see the Angels hire a VP or Director of Baseball Operations type person first then have that guy hire a new GM. I think Arte and Carpino meeting players for dinner and signing them was way outside the scope of their duties. Pujols, Hamilton, Wilson and Dipoto were all bad signings. 

Do we actually have proof that Arte and Carpino signed these players?  Yes they probably met with them, dinner or otherwise, but I was under the impression that Dipoto and his staff did the actual signing.  And before you say that Arte told Dipoto to do it, how do we even know exactly what Arte directed him to do?  Sometimes I think we assume that certain individuals do things that we have no actual knowledge that they actually did do or not do. 

The Hackilton signing is the one that truly defied logic even at the time it happened.

Dude basically quit on his Tejas team the last week or so in 2012, culminating in letting the one bloop hit get past him and his loafing after it in the deciding game for their post-season future in 2012.   Not to mention his almost total disappearance for about 1.5 months in the middle of the 2012 season, and of course the rep that long time drug users have for their bodies breaking down sooner