• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

News on Huston Street & Tim Lincecum

Chuck

The key here is if some of these guys can get back in time and are effective. That's a lot of if's but the Angels could be looking pretty good if they aren't buried by the time they are at or near full strength.

As far as Lincecum goes I'm a little skeptical due to not that many teams being interested in him. If he looked that good I'd think there would have been interest from more teams. Hope he works out because it would be great for the Angels playoff chances if he can perform.

7 minutes ago, itsKnoppUitsme said:

Does anybody know why there was no option year included in the contract?

My guess is that it would make no sense for Tim. I assume he is hoping to do well with us in hopes of earning another decent contract. Giving halos an option would take away any possibility of a 2 to 3 deal. This deal makes sense for both sides. If Tim is done we aren't in very deep. If he can pitch we get a SP for cheap and he gets to showcase himself as a starter to other teams. 

4 minutes ago, kino said:

If he does well we'll just hit him with a QO and collect a mid 20s to mid 30s pick. Not too bad, considering he's probably aiming for 1 more big deal.

We've never hit anyone with a QO just in case they accepted!..... Arte' isn't a dummy~ ;)

Edited by SlappyUtilityMIF

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

All things going well by July 1?

Santiago, Shoe, Wilson, Lincecum, Weave, Tropeano, and Chacin are all capable starters?  

Street, Bedrosian, Salas, Smith, Morin makes 5/7 of a capable pen?  

Makes things interesting, especially if no one runs away with the AL West. 

Don't forget Skaggs.

If we're still in it and everyone's come back healthy I think they'll probably explore flipping an arm, maybe a redundant prospect or two, for a bat as well. Nothing too major unless it makes sense long-term.

Question: since Lincecum was signed after the season started, is he still eligible to make a QO to and get the draft pick if he turns it down and gets signed before the deadline?   Is it only when a player is traded during the season, that the QO option/attached draft pick opportunity is removed? 

Yes, it seems the Angels will have the opportunity to extend a qualifying offer to Lincecum if necessary. If he signed after June 1st I think it'd be different.

But keep in mind, Lincecum would quite literally need to pitch at his former Cy Young level for the Angels to do that.

Not even close,  ScottyA_MWAH. If he pitches above league average he will have a line out the door for longer term contracts. Next seasons free agent crop is weak in all positions,  the chance to pick up Lincecum for three years is going to spark a lot of interest if he pitches well.  And by well it needs only to be an ERA anywhere near 3.75.

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Not even close,  ScottyA_MWAH. If he pitches above league average he will have a line out the door for longer term contracts. Next seasons free agent crop is weak in all positions,  the chance to pick up Lincecum for three years is going to spark a lot of interest if he pitches well.  And by well it needs only to be an ERA anywhere near 3.75.

His ERA may not be a huge factor. He may stumble out of the gate. I think how he pitches in August and September will play a bigger factor. I do agree with you in general. 

Lets hope for the best. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

almost positive that the player has to be on the team for the entire year 

"The following provision shall apply only to each Player who becomes a free agent under this Section B after having been continuously under reserve (without interruption) to the same Club (either at the Major or Minor League level) since Opening Day of the recently completed championship season (“Qualified Free Agent”)."

Looks like you're right, we cannot offer Lincecum a QO at the end of this season.