• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Driving from Tahoe to Santa Cruz/Monterey

That is a very long detour from Monterey to get a drink. And I hate to burst your bubble but Monterey and Carmel are much better on that venue along with ambiance. 

Edited by Blarg

Hah, I got directed to this last page with your post as the first so I thought you were talking to NJHalo. We are pretty used to making long treks in California to go somewhere nice, or at least nicer than San Dimas, so I figured you were directing him South. All good, I like SLO but the better donuts are still in Morro Bay. :P

Edited by Blarg

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Hah, I got directed to this last page with your post as the first so I thought you were talking to NJHalo. We are pretty used to making long treks in California to go somewhere nice, or at least nicer than San Dimas, so I figured you were directing him South. All good, I like SLO but the better donuts are still in Morro Bay. :P

san dimas!

bill-and-ted-whysoblu-1-1024x689.jpg

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

If anyone goes to SLO do not stay at The Apple Farm. I still have nightmares from that place. 

i've eaten there and had no complaints. what was wrong with the hotel?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:34 PM, NJHalo said:

I have pics from my first INO experience. Summer of 2014, Fisherman's Wharf SF.

I will be sure to dig them up and get them posted so as to not break the rules 

As promised. Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott, and it was literally right outside our door.

innout.jpg

2 hours ago, NJHalo said:

As promised. Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott, and it was literally right outside our door.

innout.jpg

nice! its a great spot.

the pier 39 / wharf area can ground zero for tourists.. but there are some fantastic joints down there we hit up pretty regularly like buena vista, fog harbor grill, mccormick and kuleto's, scoma's, etc. and lots of legit bars.

Edited by mrwicked

They used to have the Concorso di Italiano on the greens at Quail Lodge golf course back when it wasn't so pretentious and overrun by guys with 308's and mid 80's Testarossas all in red.  Originally is was the Maserati Club that set up the event and chose what cars and how many could be shown and the theme of the show.

They would feature Fiat Abarth as the marque or Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, along with lesser known marques. The cars that showed up were vintage in age, not what new stuff just came off the factory floor or within the last 10 years. You would see the first of the Ferraris along with California Spyders and sedans from the 60's, interesting stuff all for your $20 admission, $15 for two if you were showing a car.

They even had the theme of everything Italian designed which created a loophole where some guy brought his 1974 Triumph Spitfire in British racing green because it was designed by Michelotti, a famous designer of Ferrari and Maserati. So he sat there in his lawn chair on the green, all alone with no cars parked anywhere near him like he had automotive leprosy. He was a nice guy, loved his car and was told never to return. At least not with a British built car.

That was the year my friend was showing his 1958 Alfa Romeo Guilietta Spyder that had undergone a full restoration and when taking a casual drive in it before the event a cement mixer cut us off on the freeway raining the hood with rocks. I'm not sure who was mortified more, him that his paint had 9 paint chips or myself feeling guilty that we should have been driving in my Explorer we used to tow his car up there but it was in the Salinas Ford shop with a blown transmission. Needless to say he didn't get a trophy or asked to have his car on the podium to talk about it.

The entrance fee skyrocketed and they since moved the event to a new location in Monterey where you have to take a shuttle bus because of the traffic jambs to look at 300 of the same red Ferraris. Fewer Fiats are allowed. I don't think the Maserati Club is in charge of it anymore.

Carmel is beautiful and we used to stop at The Wagon Wheel Coffee Shop for breakfast before the Concorso. Legit good food in a funky barn type atmosphere by a couple from England. It's been a while, they may still be the owners. You should try it out some morning since you're in the neighborhood.

o.jpg

19 hours ago, Adam said:

If you can afford it, I'd go to Stockton. It is beautiful in July

Can't go wrong with advice from Adam (aka Tripadvisor). In the past, he has recommended taking the wife and kids to Fritz in Anaheim, and making sure I stopped in Barstow on my way from Vegas. All worked out well, so I guess Stockton it is!!

Here's another vote for Old Town Sacramento. The train museum is great and there are lots of choices for lunch.

Kids always like Joe's crab shack...and there is one right there on the river.

Going the back way to Santa Cruz through Gilroy and Watsonville (152- the garlic and artichoke capitols) is better than going into SF and down the 101. 

And whether you go down the 99 or 5 to get to 152, there are endless In N Outs

15 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Here's another vote for Old Town Sacramento. The train museum is great and there are lots of choices for lunch.

Kids always like Joe's crab shack...and there is one right there on the river.

Going the back way to Santa Cruz through Gilroy and Watsonville (152- the garlic and artichoke capitols) is better than going into SF and down the 101. 

And whether you go down the 99 or 5 to get to 152, there are endless In N Outs

if you go through watsonville you can check out kett's castle.

my friends and i tried to sneak in once and got shot at with rock salt in shotguns. fun! 

ketts.jpg