• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Any music teachers/violinists?

11 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Why not buy a used one for her?  Especially if, as you say, she will grow out of it.  Check local music stores, pawn shops, craigslist, etc. 

We are absolutely considering this.  A few things I have noticed so far:

Good violins appreciate instead of depreciate.  So used is not necessarily a good investment.

Shitty violins are cheap used but there is a reason for it.

I will definitely snag a used one if the price is right though.  

I would look for a music store within a few hours drive and have your daughter play them. I would rather pay a little more and actually touch the violin than get it from Amazon.

looks like you are in the market for a full sized instrument. The only thing she will outgrow is the sound and the quality. If she likes the instrument and it sounds good, she will play it more. With that thought in mind, I would buy a good intermediate instrument from a reputable shop. If she grows tired of violin and wants to play electric guitar, it will be easier to sell or trade in a better quality instrument down the road.

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 1:15 PM, mrwicked said:

i hate to hijack the thread but....

any jug blowers here? looking to start a sweet depeche mode / bluegrass mash up juke joint band.

... asking for a friend.

No jug, but I do have a washboard from my NIN Zydeco tribute band.

It's yours if you want it.

Edited by the_dude_abides

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 8:27 AM, nate said:

My daughter started playing violin and we had been renting a violin but wanted to buy one for her.  Keeping in mind she is still a novice and will grow out of this violin in a few years.  The teacher recommended the Cremona SV-1220.  Anyone have an opinion on it?

http://www.amazon.com/Cremona-SV-1220-Maestro-Violin-Full-Size/dp/B0026IC6M4

Not sure if you have purchased this or not, but make sure you do your research.  My oldest son, who is just finished his Sophomore year at the University of Arizona was told by his Saxophone teacher to go to several music stores and try different instruments.  Every instrument will play differently and your daughter needs to feel comfortable with the instrument.  We also did this for my youngest who plays Trumpet.  He had his heart set on a Bach strad...ended up with a Shire Trumpet.

Don't rush the purchase.

3 hours ago, HaloNArizona said:

Not sure if you have purchased this or not, but make sure you do your research.  My oldest son, who is just finished his Sophomore year at the University of Arizona was told by his Saxophone teacher to go to several music stores and try different instruments.  Every instrument will play differently and your daughter needs to feel comfortable with the instrument.  We also did this for my youngest who plays Trumpet.  He had his heart set on a Bach strad...ended up with a Shire Trumpet.

Don't rush the purchase.

Thanks!  We did go to a few stores on Sunday and I think we will end up ordering the Cremona SV-1220 but not certain yet.  There are some other options as well.  It is at the high end of what they suggested.

34 minutes ago, nate said:

Thanks!  We did go to a few stores on Sunday and I think we will end up ordering the Cremona SV-1220 but not certain yet.  There are some other options as well.  It is at the high end of what they suggested.

maybe bernie can help you pay for it.

#feelthebern