• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Could the #Angels be interested in Jose Reyes?

Chuck

Maybe a temporary fit at SS, then move him to 2B after Simmons comes back?

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that there are teams interested in trading for Jose Reyes.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported earlier Friday that Reyes will be credited with time already served in his impending suspension, which Olney indicates might have heightened trade interest in the shortstop. Reyes is expected to receive a suspension of 60+ games, but he's already served 34 games. A suspension could officially be handed down by Major League Baseball on Friday.

May 13 - 11:33 AM

So let's consider a hypothetical here before potentially dismissing this idea.

The Angels are clearly suffering this season and, increasingly by the day, are heading towards irrelevancy in 2016. By the same token, because Moreno didn't spend this pre-season, the options to improve in 2017 will be difficult to find due to a very poor free agent class after 2016 is over. It is so bad it might be historically bad in the context of the last 20 years. Decent pitching will only be found in trade at best if that because teams see the shortage and prices will rise. Hitting is nearly as bad.

With the understanding that Richards and Heaney will, at best, be back in late 2017, next year's competitiveness looks doubtful as well because we will still have rotation issues and our offense will remain stagnant without a trade using Minor League farm assets we don't have.

This leads to the general idea that the Angels, if they are willing to use their large payroll aggressively, could buy short term 1 or 2 year bloated contracts to garner prospects not unlike what the Braves have done over the last 2-3 years. The idea is simply "Hey we'll take your 2 year $44MM bad contract and you give us a quality prospect or two." It's a way for smaller market teams or teams that need payroll flexibility to get out from under albatross contracts.

So although Jose Reyes is not a player of need for the Angels if Billy Eppler takes a similar view based on the outlook presented above it could make sense for the Angels to trade for Reyes, absorb most or all of his salary, and place him temporarily at SS and, as suggested by Chuck and others, move him to 2B after Simmons returns.

Reyes isn't quite as bad a player when you move him to 2B. His defense would actually be an asset at 2B assuming he can handle the move and throughout his entire career he has maintained nearly identical splits against LH and RH pitching with an OBP of .340+ against both sides. He'd do well in the 2 or 6-hole probably.

All I'm saying is that it is not a totally crazy idea if the goal is to contend again in the 2018 season. If we took on the salary, received a quality prospect in return, and didn't pick up Reyes option for 2018 we'd be rid of him and his salary entering 2018.

All that being said it may not be the right move for us but if you consider the fact that we will likely be trading Santiago ($5MM), Street ($9MM), Escobar ($7MM), Smith ($5.25MM), and Soto ($2.8MM) there will be payroll available to handle his addition. Not to mention we might find ourselves flipping Reyes at the deadline ourselves to a team in need?

Out of the box thinking is needed to re-tool the team for 2018 and I'm on board with ideas that improve the team towards that goal.

this team is going nowhere this season. it's certainly a low risk move, but is it necessary? does he make us a contender? i don't see that we need him.

that said, back in prep for the 2010 all star game, i was one of the volunteers. my job on the friday before the game was to be at the stadium and represent one of the players so that the technical crew could do a dry run of the player inroductions, coordinate video, and all that. i was jose reyes, and it was a blast. got to hang out in the visitors dugout during breaks. the best part is that i am almost his identical twin. those of you who know me can vouch for this claim.

in my heart, he's been angel since that infamous friday.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm more concerned about the different logins that Chuck has. Are they different personalities? Chuckster vs. Chuck vs. Angelswin admin....I'm confused.

I know what you mean.  Is it ok to shit on Chuckster's couch but not Chucks, I am incredibly confused.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

So let's consider a hypothetical here before potentially dismissing this idea.

The Angels are clearly suffering this season and, increasingly by the day, are heading towards irrelevancy in 2016. By the same token, because Moreno didn't spend this pre-season, the options to improve in 2017 will be difficult to find due to a very poor free agent class after 2016 is over. It is so bad it might be historically bad in the context of the last 20 years. Decent pitching will only be found in trade at best if that because teams see the shortage and prices will rise. Hitting is nearly as bad.

With the understanding that Richards and Heaney will, at best, be back in late 2017, next year's competitiveness looks doubtful as well because we will still have rotation issues and our offense will remain stagnant without a trade using Minor League farm assets we don't have.

This leads to the general idea that the Angels, if they are willing to use their large payroll aggressively, could buy short term 1 or 2 year bloated contracts to garner prospects not unlike what the Braves have done over the last 2-3 years. The idea is simply "Hey we'll take your 2 year $44MM bad contract and you give us a quality prospect or two." It's a way for smaller market teams or teams that need payroll flexibility to get out from under albatross contracts.

So although Jose Reyes is not a player of need for the Angels if Billy Eppler takes a similar view based on the outlook presented above it could make sense for the Angels to trade for Reyes, absorb most or all of his salary, and place him temporarily at SS and, as suggested by Chuck and others, move him to 2B after Simmons returns.

Reyes isn't quite as bad a player when you move him to 2B. His defense would actually be an asset at 2B assuming he can handle the move and throughout his entire career he has maintained nearly identical splits against LH and RH pitching with an OBP of .340+ against both sides. He'd do well in the 2 or 6-hole probably.

All I'm saying is that it is not a totally crazy idea if the goal is to contend again in the 2018 season. If we took on the salary, received a quality prospect in return, and didn't pick up Reyes option for 2018 we'd be rid of him and his salary entering 2018.

All that being said it may not be the right move for us but if you consider the fact that we will likely be trading Santiago ($5MM), Street ($9MM), Escobar ($7MM), Smith ($5.25MM), and Soto ($2.8MM) there will be payroll available to handle his addition. Not to mention we might find ourselves flipping Reyes at the deadline ourselves to a team in need?

Out of the box thinking is needed to re-tool the team for 2018 and I'm on board with ideas that improve the team towards that goal.

There are ways out of this situation if Moreno is willing to spend money, your suggestion is one of them. The Angels should be buying up guys with upside for the purpose of trading the ones who can establish some value. With the weak FA class the trade market will be very lucrative for sellers, we just need to have things worth selling.

2 hours ago, elixir said:

angels need to rebuild with high character guys, no more clowns or thugs imo 

and crack addicts 

Or Old guys that can't Hit or Run even though they still have great ball/bat exit velocity! ( when he's not beating the fast exiting ball into the ground)

Edited by itsKnoppUitsme
Sorry, I didn't finish my sentence.

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

If anything, I thought that Arte believed in having upstanding guys on the team?

Reyes = nonononononononono

Uhh...not sure where that comes from. Hamilton, Callaspo, Freese, Guillen, K-Rod, and I think even current Angels Soto and Escobar have had some tarnishes on their character. 

If Reyes' contract really is just 2/44 left, and we got prospects back, it would definitely be worth considering for all the reasons mentioned. 

This season has been destroyed by injuries but I still haven't given up on the '16-'17 teams not finding a way to compete. It's not very likely, but I still think there's enough of a chance to take a gamble on some second-chance MLBers like Chacin, Reyes, Lincecum. With the pen pitching the way it has, if Pujols goes on one of his monthlong tears and a couple starters right the ship this team could be right back in it with Skaggs, Wilson, and Simmons on the horizon. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

this team is going nowhere this season. it's certainly a low risk move, but is it necessary? does he make us a contender? i don't see that we need him.

that said, back in prep for the 2010 all star game, i was one of the volunteers. my job on the friday before the game was to be at the stadium and represent one of the players so that the technical crew could do a dry run of the player inroductions, coordinate video, and all that. i was jose reyes, and it was a blast. got to hang out in the visitors dugout during breaks. the best part is that i am almost his identical twin. those of you who know me can vouch for this claim.

in my heart, he's been angel since that infamous friday.

The point would be that the Angels need to realize that our ability to compete this year has been compromised heavily. Sure things could still turn around but if we get to late June and we're still where we are now we will not be competing this year. Additionally our ability to compete next year is also heavily compromised because Richards and Heaney will both likely be out for most of the season, free agency has no impact free agents for us to buy, and we have no significant Minor League prospects to trade to improve the team.

Contending this year or next is looking a lot more difficult. That is why taking on a bloated short term contract like Reyes (2016:  $15MM after domestic violence penalty, 2017: $22MM, and 2018 $4MM buyout of option), in full, in order to acquire one or more quality prospects would make sense for the window of contention we are now faced with.

I will say that if the Angels get lucky and sell off assets at the trade deadline this year that become immediately effective in 2017 that we might have a bit better chance next year but it's not something I'd count on.

Edited by ettin