• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Does Anyone Drive For Uber?

2 hours ago, Spencer said:

Some Uber drivers can be chatty Cathys. Like to the point where my drunk brain is like "Please, stop, no more stories about your kids or your breakups or any other personal baggage that I never even asked you about in the first place"

Probably the worst part about Uber

Close your eyes and start snoring. 

2 hours ago, Spencer said:

Some Uber drivers can be chatty Cathys. Like to the point where my drunk brain is like "Please, stop, no more stories about your kids or your breakups or any other personal baggage that I never even asked you about in the first place"

Probably the worst part about Uber

Pretend you're going deaf.

We have a 7th grader whose mom wants to use uber to take her daughter home from school. We told her no, and the mom is apparently still pissed at us for denying the request. This started last year when the girl was in sixth grade. 

This is virgin territory, but I imagine the biggest issue would be liability if the school released the girl to a non-relative/family friend, and then something happened to the girl while in the drivers care.

Edited by Tank

On 5/12/2016 at 6:49 AM, Steve Sanders said:

You'll be busy, but it will all be drunk assholes and at some point you'll have clean puke out of your car.

This was my thought. Working those hours on those days, there will be a lot of inebriated people getting rides. Unfortunately, some of those who don't get sick and puke will be aggressive.

Years of working in prisons makes me very skeptical about picking up total strangers and giving them rides, paid for or not.

21 hours ago, nate said:

Am I the only one that refuses to use Uber or Lyft?  Everything about it just seems so untrustworthy to me.  I know Taxis are mostly the same thing but the fact that CaliAngel can just decide he wants to work the weekend and pick me up in his five year old Prius doesn't sit right with me.

Jaguar you dope, I drive a Jag. And I wouldn't let you get in my car anyway, I can smell the Drakar Noir mixed with kale salad farts from here.

I don't believe in Prius, they are a scam to fool liberals into thinking they're sitting up on a high horse because they're saving the planet.

I love Uber. I'm relatively new because it seemed weird at first, and I've still only used it myself about 5-6 times, but buddies or co-workers I go out with all always just grab one and it's cool as shit. Quick, easy, and I like the GPS map.

A couple months back I was skeptical about putting a credit card on file with an app, so after crashing at my buddies high rise in Irvine I simply called a cab. My less than 1 mile ride cost $33, I make the same ride with Uber and it's $4....although I accidentally ordered a Uber Black last night and it was $19 for roughly the same distance.

I have yet to see or have an issue. For the most part they are minorities or college students just trying to get by....essentially cab drivers but a cheaper fare. My impression is that as much as we would be creeped out getting in a car, they are probably more worried about who's getting into their car, especially after that Taco Bell guy incident. Because of the rating system there is a bit better cleanliness to the cars and the drivers seem to cater to what the riders act like.....they usually are quiet unless spoken to. The one I had yesterday even had a phone charger set up to use and a hook up to his car stereo if you wanted to listen to your own tunes.

I think it's great for nights out or in situations where multiple people make plans and end up getting separated from their cars.

It is crazy convenient and cheap.

Pull out phone, enter a pickup and destination in the app, and wait 4-10 minutes for them to arrive.

Cars are usually very clean, oftentimes they'll have a charging cable or offer you water or gum.

I live near Disneyland, and can get to downtown Fullerton, Orange, or to Angels/Ducks games for like $6.

Hell, a couple years ago I went with a friend to the Rose Bowl on New Year's. Two round-trip fares to Pasadena totalled only about $120. I think parking would have been $75, plus fuel and headache, Uber is the greatest.

I've used Uber/Lyft countless times. I haven't had a single bad experience. They are much more efficient. You know exactly where the driver is when they are on the way. Having to call a taxi dispatcher to find out where the cab is totally sucks. Not to mention Taxis over double the price. If you need to get somewhere quick and cheap, Uber/Lyft is the only way to go. Plus not having to deal with payment at the end of the ride makes it so much easier. 

Yeah, getting out of the car and as you're walking away getting an email receipt is probably overlooked in the time saved category.

I had an Uber driver about a couple weeks ago that gave me his Lyft card for something like $50 off after five rides and something like 30% week day fares. Never tried Lyft before. I'm guessing it's the same thing but the option to share rides with people, or something like that. My only experience even hearing Lyft is from some article about how people are using the app to share rides with people and hooking up......sounds like Tinder but without the direct preconception of hooking up.

9 minutes ago, Steve Sanders said:

Yeah, getting out of the car and as you're walking away getting an email receipt is probably overlooked in the time saved category.

I had an Uber driver about a couple weeks ago that gave me his Lyft card for something like $50 off after five rides and something like 30% week day fares. Never tried Lyft before. I'm guessing it's the same thing but the option to share rides with people, or something like that. My only experience even hearing Lyft is from some article about how people are using the app to share rides with people and hooking up......sounds like Tinder but without the direct preconception of hooking up.

I'm kind of confused here now.  Uber you can't have more than one person?  Or do you mean like 2 people that have never met sharing a fare?

I believe the latter. I think it was built off the idea of Uber but with sharing the fare with someone, but I think it's now just pretty much Uber.

With Uber, one phone orders and pays. I think the original idea of Lyft was essentially splitting fares like you would jumping in a cab with someone. But I could be wrong and most people talk about it the same way as Uber.

Speaking of which, I need to order one now.

1 hour ago, nate said:

or, you know, you could kill someone

Nate there's a difference between having one drink with dinner (which is what I was referring to in my post) and driving home and going to a bar and drinking and driving.  I don't do either.  

Please don't listen to Richard Marx while picking people up. I normally don't care what the driver listens to, but please don't play that type of shit.

I notice I'm getting more chatty cathy's lately, don't do that either. I took a call as I entered one today and it was business as usual, as soon as I hung up he couldn't wait to tell me about the weather and El Nino.

22 minutes ago, Steve Sanders said:

Please don't listen to Richard Marx while picking people up. I normally don't care what the driver listens to, but please don't play that type of shit.

I notice I'm getting more chatty cathy's lately, don't do that either. I took a call as I entered one today and it was business as usual, as soon as I hung up he couldn't wait to tell me about the weather and El Nino.

I really have nothing to talk about. I'll offer them the aux cord and ask them if they prefer a certain route to their destination. Other than that it's up in the air

Lyft and Uber are virtually the same thing. They both offer split fares if you happen to be going the same direction as someone else. I've never tried it since I normally don't need long trips. My average ride is around $6-$12. You will notice a lot of drivers will use both Uber & Lyft for a higher chance to get surge pricing. One trick I will do is open 1 app. If that service has a high ETA or surge pricing, I will check the other service.

I read that Nate is more comfortable with the less efficient Taxi model. A lot of Taxi drivers have now gone to Lyft/Uber. I will say about half the time I get an ex-Taxi driver. A year ago it was probably 80%. Regardless, I will only use a Taxi if Uber/Lyft isn't available.

I need to do that. My ride was only $6-7 bucks this morning, but I thought it was annoying that switching to select wanted to charge me a surge price of 1.3x, I select ok, it then searches and says something like process fail, so I punch it again and now it says surge price 1.4x

I used Uber for years, joined up the first week they started - used to be just black cars/limos. Have taken hundreds if not thousands of trips with them. They used to be great.

Dont use them anymore though, I and most of my friends here in the city have all switched to Flywheel for day to day stuff.

I only use Uber now when I go to opera or a show or high end restaurant, ie when I want a black car.

Edited by mrwicked