• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

So now what?

3 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

So are we still with the "Win Now" plan?

Buying? Selling? Retooling? Rebuilding or ready to blow it up?

Or will the Angels Organization remain in denial and continue to sell us on the Rally Monkey, Pujols and Buttercup because we have MIKE TROUT.

Way too early to rebuild. You gotta keep chugging away. Too early to call it quits. 

5 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

So are we still with the "Win Now" plan?

Buying? Selling? Retooling? Rebuilding or ready to blow it up?

Or will the Angels Organization remain in denial and continue to sell us on the Rally Monkey, Pujols and Buttercup because we have MIKE TROUT.

Ask Trout 

Nothing much to do. Team was pretty average entering the year and significant injuries have completely destroyed their chances of seriously competing for anything. You ride it out and play the games and sell whatever pieces you can at the deadline that you deem not part of the long-term future of this team. That's about it

Really need to hit on their 1st round picks this season and especially next(should be a top 10 pick at this rate).

You got to get through about 70 to 80 games before you can just close up shop for the year.  

Last year, Texas was 43-49 through mid july.  9 games back.  In the second half, they had the 10th best offense and the 16th best SP with the 10th best bullpen.  Going 45-25.  They had some talent, but they weren't exactly spectacular in any one facet of the game.  I am not sure we are remotely capable of something like that and frankly I doubt it. 

In fact, It would surprise me very much if we are anything close to .500 by the deadline which is game 105 for us.  But you've got to spend some time figuring it out.  

We have a .419 win pct right now.  If we have 30-35 wins and 45-50 losses on July 1, it's time to start making some moves for next year.  I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to add payroll for mediocre declining players (my suggestion of Shields was mostly in jest).  

I also wouldn't be afraid to start seeing what we might have with several guys in the minors.  Cowart, Kubitza, Johnson, Smith, Ortega, Agulera, Bandy, McGowin.  

At the deadline, I would trade Joe Smith, CJ Wilson, Salas, Soto and Pennington. You aren't getting much from that crew but a few mid level prospects at best.  But at this point you take what you can get to supplement the farm.   

You have to also consider the fact that if the team isn't capable of winning with what they have right now then they likely won't be able to next year as well because you aren't really getting your pitching back until mid year at best and we know that there are horrible SP option on the FA market.  For that reason, I would definitely consider trading Escboar, Santiago and Street.  I would actually consider extending Hector for a couple of years first though.  I would not trade Calhoun right now unless I get an offer that absolutely blows me away.  If you could get anything for Weaver, I'd consider moving him, but only if he's ok with it.  He deserves that.  You can't move Pujols.  Trout is Trout.  

By the time the deadline has come and gone, Cowart would be my 3bman, Johnson my 2bman, Kubitza LF, Bandy/Perez C, Bedrosian Cl, Morin 8th.  

FA's for the winter are slim except for the pen which could be bolstered considerably for next year. 

I figure that one of Johnson, Kubitza or Cowart will show enough promise to earn a starting gig for next year.  There are also a bunch of short term option position players which might actually work out better for our situation anyway.  

6 minutes ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

Could this be the season that we finally get rid of Soc?

Immunity has been granted.  How much could you expect from any manager with a rotation of Santiago, Tropeano, Weaver and God knows who else?  4 of our expected top 5 starters are not available.  We might have over ninety losses with a 10 WAR player in our lineup.  

52 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

Ron Roenicke, Bud Black, and Dino Ebel are in the organization...

Do you really believe that any of those three would produce a better result at this point?  I don't.

I've said this before, but Scioscia is not going anywhere in the middle of a season.  And he's not Dipoto, he isn't going to just walk away.  He will go down with the entire ship first, if that's what happens.  Same with Pujols.

Edited by tomsred

3 hours ago, tomsred said:

Enjoy baseball, someday you will once again be star dust.  Best of luck to all of our injured players as they rehab.  Now there are great opportunities for some farm guys to show up and make some noise, and lead us to glory.

Kudos for saying star dust

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I also wouldn't be afraid to start seeing what we might have with several guys in the minors.  Cowart, Kubitza, Johnson, Smith, Ortega, Agulera, Bandy, McGowin.  

At the deadline, I would trade Joe Smith, CJ Wilson, Salas, Soto and Pennington. You aren't getting much from that crew but a few mid level prospects at best.  But at this point you take what you can get to supplement the farm.   

By the time the deadline has come and gone, Cowart would be my 3bman, Johnson my 2bman, Kubitza LF, Bandy/Perez C, Bedrosian Cl, Morin 8th.  

I figure that one of Johnson, Kubitza or Cowart will show enough promise to earn a starting gig for next year.  There are also a bunch of short term option position players which might actually work out better for our situation anyway.  

+1

Time to see what we have in the young players. Give them a chance to play and trade some vets for prospects.