• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Remember how bad Pujols seemed in April 2012?

Oz27

He has somehow been significantly worse so far this month. In April 2012 his batting average was .217, so far this month it is .132. OBP was .265 in 2012, .213 this month. OPS was .570 then and it is .449 now. OPS+ was 61 then and 32 now.

I know the month isn't over yet any maybe he will pick it up, but it is still hard to believe that Pujols has been so incredibly bad to start this year.

Edited by Oz27

Yeah, and supposedly no injuries to blame it on, this time.

We gotta keep him in the lineup, but leaving him at cleanup (and behind Trout) is just ridiculous.

Now that Trout has heated up and Albert continues to struggle, watch how many walks Trout starts to get. We dont need Trout walking, we need Trout HITTING! A high OBP is wasted in the #3 slot, ahead of Albert. 

We need to keep the opposing pitchers/managers honest by putting Calhoun behind Trout. Fewer DPs, too.

Cron hitting for avg and power is so important to this lineup. It would allow us to go something like:

Escobar

Trout

Calhoun

Albert

etc.

etc.

Or even reversing Albert and Cron.

If Ortega keeps hitting, he might be nice at 9th, as a table setter once the lineup turns over.

Edited by WeatherWonk

Not sure what is worse, Pujols' performance or Scioscia continuing to bat him 4th in the lineup.

Has Albert his ofer 30 yet?

Last time I was paying close attention him (I have been averting my eyes when he bats), he was 0 for 21 and Terry Smith said it was the longest hitless streak of his career.

He actually cratered out at a .505 ops on may 11th that year.  

For his next 122 games and .534pa, he hit .310/.953.  I don't know if he's capable of that anymore or even close for that matter. 

You just basically have to hope he has a solid season from this point forward and he can help the team because his numbers at the end of the year are gonna look pretty bad no matter what.  

He has somehow been significantly worse so far this month. In April 2012 his batting average was .217, so far this month it is .132. OBP was .265 in 2012, .213 this month. OPS was .570 then and it is .449 now. OPS+ was 61 then and 32 now.

I know the month isn't over yet any maybe he will pick it up, but it is still hard to believe that Pujols has been so incredibly bad to start this year.

Remember how Pujols ended the season in 2012? .285/.343/.516/.859 - 30 HR - 105 RBI - 138 OPS+

Edited by Ace_Richards

Yea, but that was 4 years ago. He's declined in each season since then.

He had 10 more HR last year than in 2012. In 2014 he had 105 RBI and 28 HR. He has more RBIs this year in April than in 2012. His BA is down, and that drags down his OBP. His run production hasn't diminished much since 2012. Hopefully he will get on a hot streak soon,  because nothing else to do but complain.

He had 10 more HR last year than in 2012. In 2014 he had 105 RBI and 28 HR. He has more RBIs this year in April than in 2012. His BA is down, and that drags down his OBP. His run production hasn't diminished much since 2012. Hopefully he will get on a hot streak soon, because nothing else to do but complain.

His oWAR was 4 in 2012 and 2.6 in 2015, which is a really substantial difference given last year was considered a bounce back year. His run production has diminished significantly.

I know, He is getting worse but he is still better than a great many players. He's mainly only a DH these days. Runs are the only thing that really matters at the end of the day and he still accounts his fair share. His job is too drive in runs, not get on base or else he would be a lead off hitter. Players with a high on base percentage need to hit first, second or last. As long as he continues to have 90 + RBIs and 30 HRs, I ill be OK with it.

I think the reason people have such a problem with him is because he no longer plays like the player he was in St. Louis. Guess what outside of 1 or 2 players, nobody does. He was amazing in St. Louis. The only real problem with him is he is being paid more now than he was in St. louis and that's on Arte. Even as poorly as he is playing at the moment he still has 50% more RBIs than Trout the next closest to him in that stat.

Pujols makes too money for what he brings to the table, but I would rather he was at bat when we needed a big hit rather than Johnny, Ortega, Simmons, Pennington, or Gentry. If we needed a HR to win he is the guy I want up, him and Trout that is.

Bottom line is he isn't going anywhere so all we can do is hope for him too get hot or complain.

Pujols worried me all winter. Per the 2012 argument, he had a brutal april that made his year long records look meager for him, even though he had a very, very good 5 other months.

Last year was the opposite. He had a ridiculous may/june (maybe 5 weeks), and a pretty bad ither 6 months. My worry has been that the front office looked and saw 40 home runs and said "hes still got it, were good". Negative.

Im usually far more nutswinger than failo, but i think the last offseason is going to screw us for years. No farm, little at the bigs, and thin free agent class the next few years. And the big fish in the next few will be swooned by the other teams either just as much or more willing to spend money than we are.