• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Jered Weaver stingy with runs - and words - as Angels edge White Sox

I don't understand why writers keep feeling compelled to use the word "haters" when referring to those who question Jered Weaver's ability to remain an effective starting pitcher. His fastball was in the 80s, and he got shelled by a Class A team at the end of spring training. Besides, this is only April, and he has had two good outings - which does not a season make.

I don't know of anyone here who I would consider a "hater" in this situation, and nobody is rooting for him to fail.

I don't understand why writers keep feeling compelled to use the word "haters" when referring to those who question Jered Weaver's ability to remain an effective starting pitcher. His fastball was in the 80s, and he got shelled by a Class A team at the end of spring training. Besides, this is only April, and he has had two good outings - which does not a season make.

I don't know of anyone here who I would consider a "hater" in this situation, and nobody is rooting for him to fail.

To be fair we have no idea what he was working on at the end of ST.

If Weaver has a bad start next time out will the haters be calling for Weavers removal from the rotation or demand he retire like they have for the last two seasons?

When people call for a player to retire before his contract is up, or ask that he be unceremoniously dumped or banished to the bull pen..if they aren't haters, then just what are they? When they make post after post about how Weaver sucks..if they aren't haters then what are they? 

If Weaver has a bad start next time out will the haters be calling for Weavers removal from the rotation or demand he retire like they have for the last two seasons?

When people call for a player to retire before his contract is up, or ask that he be unceremoniously dumped or banished to the bull pen..if they aren't haters, then just what are they? When they make post after post about how Weaver sucks..if they aren't haters then what are they? 

There was at least one person questioning why he was starting yesterday ....  So, yeah...  

Weaver having used Haters to describe his critics was silly.   What he's doing is pretty much uncharted territory for a RHP, skeptics are to be expected and as a ten yet veteran you figure Weave would expect it.   On the flip side, whatever he needs to do and tell himself to fire himself up is fine by me..

If the "haters" are fueling his desire to win..  So be it IMO...

Exactly. What I don't get how people think the term "hating" means you hate the guy personally. A hater is what you called. "He sucks" "he should be dfa'd" "only reason why he is still in rotation is because Scioscia loves vets" "he'said done" are examples of Hating.

Is a doubter someone that says Weaver sucks over and over for the last two seasons?

Sorry, that doesn't sound like a doubter to me. That sounds like someone that can't accept one bad season from Weaver and has no respect for what he has done for the Angel organization over the last 11 years!

YMMV

Edited by Angels#1Fan

I think hater and doubter are two different things. A hater in this circumstance would be actively rooting for him to fail. A doubter openly wonders if he can succeed. I fall into the latter.

Sure looks awesome right now though.

Good point but there is a difference between "he sucks" "he is done" "dfa him" and "I doubt he does well".

Is a doubter someone that says Weaver sucks over and over for the last two seasons?

Sorry, that doesn't sound like a doubter to me. That sounds like someone that can't accept one bad season from Weaver and has no respect for what he has done for the Angel organization over the last 11 years!

YMMV

Have there been many posters that have said he "sucks over and over for the last two seasons?" I really don't know. I've seen many doubting him and I'm sure almost this entire board was at some point seeing him struggle to throw above 80. Ultimately, I agree with the sentiment that if this is what is driving him, that's fine by me.

Good point but there is a difference between "he sucks" "he is done" "dfa him" and "I doubt he does well".

"I doubt he does well."

Key in on the word doubt. Now key in on the self proclamation of being a "doubter", make the connection between doubting and being a doubter. Ask what the root word of "doubter" is. What does a doubter do?

Do you see where I'm headed here?

Weave will always be respected more than Pujols this decade. His bulldog mentality, being homegrown, and being right there with the best pitchers earlier this decade; while Pujols has been decent/maybe solid at best and always battling foot/leg problems.

Edited by Angel Oracle

"I doubt he does well."

Key in on the word doubt. Now key in on the self proclamation of being a "doubter", make the connection between doubting and being a doubter. Ask what the root word of "doubter" is. What does a doubter do?

Do you see where I'm headed here?

You must not have read my post correctly. And for the record you were one saying he had no business in our rotation this year.

That statement is more than "doubting"

If Scotty is claiming he merely had doubts about Weaver then Scotty is a horrible communicator. This is year 3 of Weaver isn't one of our top blah blah blah pitchers.

I still have doubts about Weaver. Even last year Weaver would have a stretch of 3-4 games where he pitched very well. If this team turns it around and starts to hit and figures out the bullpen and Weaver does revert back to the guy that's poor on the road then it's time to make a decision on him. If we continue to be asunder .500 team, just let him pitch. With this offense I highly doubt Weaver will be the difference between making the playoffs or not making the playoffs.

Oh and no I wouldn't offer him an extension

Ok let me make this perfectly clear. There are a few pitchers the Angels have, that I just don't think are very good, and I HIGHLY DOUBT would even be on a 25 man roster in the major leagues if they weren't on the Angels. Jered Weaver is one of them. Salas and Alvarez are the other two.

The success Weav is having is cool and all, I like it when the Angels win. But I HIGHLY DOUBT it is sustainable with that velo, and without much in the way of swinging strikeouts. I just don't think Weaver is very good at this point in his career.

Now if you want to discern that into me being a hater then go ahead. But I consider myself skeptical at this point. And I specifically use the word doubt to try and help you figure it out.

Ok let me make this perfectly clear. There are a few pitchers the Angels have, that I just don't think are very good, and I HIGHLY DOUBT would even be on a 25 man roster in the major leagues if they weren't on the Angels. Jered Weaver is one of them. Salas and Alvarez are the other two.

The success Weav is having is cool and all, I like it when the Angels win. But I HIGHLY DOUBT it is sustainable with that velo, and without much in the way of swinging strikeouts. I just don't think Weaver is very good at this point in his career.

Now if you want to discern that into me being a hater then go ahead. But I consider myself skeptical at this point. And I specifically use the word doubt to try and help you figure it out.

I don't want to come off as wrong as I respect a lot of you have written on here and enjoy your analysis of our prospects. However when you suggested that Weaver should not be given a chance to stay in the rotation after all he has done for the Angels make you a hater.