• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

ESPN finally fired Curt Schilling

I actually spend time almost every month reminding my team in team meetings that they should not represent themselves as working for my company on social media because as soon as they do, everything they say can be tied back to my company.  If they don't listen and the media gets a sniff of it, they absolutely will be fired and I won't even feel bad about it.

Schilling shows up on TV as an ESPN employee for millions to see.  If he says something that hurts the network financially, they have every right to fire him.

I had a whole thing typed, but I'll just say this. I grew up in a world in the 80s and 90s living in fear that somebody might find out that I'm gay. Never in a million years did I think we'd ever be accepted like we have been in the past 10 years or so. We're still not recognized for our diversity, and are often all lumped together as femmes or butches, but that's small. I hope I see the same kind of acceptance for trans people within the next decade. I'm an asshole, and I've met a lot of gay assholes. I've yet to meet any trans person who isn't kind, gentle, and compassionate. Anecdotal. Yes, I know.

I honestly don't know if it's right to fire Schilling for this, but I'm okay with it.

That's all.

cez, when you say youve met a lot of gay assholes it just sounds like youre bragging.

I think youve said on here youre from more of a smaller town, not seattle (?). Are the locals near there as accepting? I dont know much about washington, just assume its liberal. Is that more just seattle though? Heading east i would think it gets a lot more conservative.

There's another issue at play here, and I kind of hesitate to bring it up. There's a lot of pressure socially for people to be supportive or tolerant of others who live differently (gays, trannies, illegal immigrants, etc.). Failure to also support/tolerate/accept them creates a growing amount of problems for people, and that's at play here in schillings firing.

I read an article where Schilling pointed this out before ESPN fired him.  Some expect or apparently demand everyone else to be socially supportive or tolerant of others who live differently but those same people aren't being tolerant of others who aren't supportive, say negative things or are flat out against it.  As long as you aren't infringing on someone's rights it shouldn't be illegal to have a different or even what's considered by the majority to be a wrong opinion whether you and I agree with it or not.  I don't care for Schilling and think he's got foot in mouth disease but it still doesn't sit well with me that he's getting canned for something posted through his personal social media that wasn't work related, didn't mention work and wasn't illegal.  

Why do people keep assuming it was his personal facebook account? Want it hits public facebook account? There are different facebook accounts available to public figures. I'm friends with a newscaster and she has an account for actual friends and one for the public.

But every idiot knows employers and potential employers look at your facebook.

Why do people keep assuming it was his personal facebook account? Want it hits public facebook account? There are different facebook accounts available to public figures. I'm friends with a newscaster and she has an account for actual friends and one for the public.

But every idiot knows employers and potential employers look at your facebook.

It wasn't an ESPN account, I consider that a personal account. I see a lot of guys that have Twitter accounts that have something like CBS in their handle which would then be company related. It almost seems like ESPN is taking sides on political issues which is really dumb.

I'm assuming ESPN fired him because sponsors threatened to pull ads.  It would take a pretty stunning argument with relevant evidence for me to believe that any company worth $50 billion would base their decision on anything else.

Exactly

People seem more introverted these days out of fear of offending someone.  You definitely see this in the workplace; a totally innocent joke or reference is misconstrued, HR is called in, and somebody gets suspended or fired.  You need to be able to hear what people say to judge their character, IMHO.  That doesn't happen when everybody is pretty much forced to be silent.  

It wasn't an ESPN account, I consider that a personal account. I see a lot of guys that have Twitter accounts that have something like CBS in their handle which would then be company related. It almost seems like ESPN is taking sides on political issues which is really dumb.

Since this isn't his first incident of jackassery, I'm guessing he's been previously warned about doing something like this again.

People seem more introverted these days out of fear of offending someone.  You definitely see this in the workplace; a totally innocent joke or reference is misconstrued, HR is called in, and somebody gets suspended or fired.  You need to be able to hear what people say to judge their character, IMHO.  That doesn't happen when everybody is pretty much forced to be silent.  

or toe the party line.

For some reason this made me contemplate the Latino experience in America.

The first generation Americans work their ass to the bone, the give up all extraneous hopes and desires to give their families a chance at a better life.

The second generation American males either becomes cholos or work construction or become cops. The women all work in medical and law offices and are pretty bitchy.

The third generation American males are all rockabilly hipster douchebags with stupid glasses and the girls all have names like Sarah or Kristen or Kelly Vasquez and go to college and become SJW.

The five 2nd generation Americans in our family are all college graduates.

And not one was a Cal State "University", where esteemed scholars like Jose Mota earned his degree...

in Communications.

yep.

For some reason this made me contemplate the Latino experience in America.

The first generation Americans work their ass to the bone, the give up all extraneous hopes and desires to give their families a chance at a better life.

The second generation American males either becomes cholos or work construction or become cops. The women all work in medical and law offices and are pretty bitchy.

The third generation American males are all rockabilly hipster douchebags with stupid glasses and the girls all have names like Sarah or Kristen or Kelly Vasquez and go to college and become SJW.

There are no holes in this analysis

The five 2nd generation Americans in our family are all college graduates.

And not one was a Cal State "University", where esteemed scholars like Jose Mota earned his degree...

in Communications.

yep.

Jose was born in the DR.